• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Why do you have to assume that those that disagree with you automatically have some illogical bias causing their opinion? I agree with polski, this kind of comment is belittling. It is also just speculation, yet you use the word 'clearly' in there as if it should be just accepted as fact.

Do you disagree that he is over-rated or do you disagree about more than half of comments in any given thread of his are non-football related or do you disagree about him being shaky defensively?

Would be just as speculative and just as irrelevant to the discussion.

It is not irrelevant to the discussion just because you disagree with it.

He's loved as a character (fair enough) on here, and often that is used a leverage after poor performances. Read any thread, match ratings thread or any discussion related to him over the last 2 odd years and judge for yourself

I am not going to overhype the lad but he had a very good game on Saturday I thought. The same way in which I will say when he has had a shocker.

Modern football is so different these days that its hard to name real class Left Backs based on their defensive ability alone. Even Baines ability at the back is masked by his cracking left foot.

Ashley Cole is obviously streets ahead of anyone at left back in this country but in terms of a modern day full back I think BAE is up there, plus defensively he has more good games than bad....IMHO

I'm one of those that appreciate Ekotto for his honesty, what seems to be a growing connection to the club and his coolness. I'm a Spurs fan, of course I would rather we have players like that rather than mindless cliche drones spouting "you know, at the end of the day" 20 times per interview or obvious liars, happy to play up to the feelings of the fans one moment only to turn their backs on them later. I find Ekotto a breath of fresh air.

However, I also think I'm one of the more football-nerdy people on this board, and I like a good tactical argument when it gets going. I think I'm smart enough to separate those two.

So, to the footballing qualities of Ekotto, I have repeatedly made posts based on what he does on the ball, his contribution to our buildup play, how he gets isolated a lot allowing Bale more advanced positions when we counter attack and comparing him to other full backs who also make mistakes.

Those post normally end up being long winded and rarely responded to.

i feel baines is one of the most overrated left backs on earth tbh. The man rarely ever handles wingers on his own and when he does he almost always gives them space to make a decision or he gets skinned. one thing he does do well is get in front of the trajectory of a cross so as to block, at least thats something that i have seen him do time and time again

lahm is another overrated fullback

Lahm is one of the most overated fullbacks of all time, another masked by his contribution going forward a little like Maicon.....

So, to the footballing qualities of Ekotto, I have repeatedly made posts based on what he does on the ball, his contribution to our buildup play, how he gets isolated a lot allowing Bale more advanced positions when we counter attack and comparing him to other full backs who also make mistakes.

Those post normally end up being long winded and rarely responded to.

But if you're such a sucker for tactical talk then you'd surely have to accept those comments which outline his shortcomings, errors and lapses in concentration and read those as constructive criticism looking to spark a debate as opposed to a stab in his back and proof or irrational hate towards one of our own.

Do you disagree that he is over-rated or do you disagree about more than half of comments in any given thread of his are non-football related or do you disagree about him being shaky defensively?

I disagree that the non-football related comments about him 'clearly' influences how people rate him as a footballer.

I don't think he's over-rated, I think he is correctly rated as one of the best left backs in the league not apart from Evra and Cole (when they are on form at least).

He has his shaky moments defensively, as does just about every full back in the world.

It is not irrelevant to the discussion just because you disagree with it.

He's loved as a character (fair enough) on here, and often that is used a leverage after poor performances. Read any thread, match ratings thread or any discussion related to him over the last 2 odd years and judge for yourself

I am judging for myself.

I find speculations about what motivations people have and trying to make conclusions about how people think and why they think like they do based only on forum posts very speculative at best, normally it just ends up being assumptions. Thus I find it irrelevant.

I find speculations about what motivations people have and trying to make conclusions about how people think and why they think like they do based only on forum posts very speculative at best, normally it just ends up being assumptions. Thus I find it irrelevant.

So what should opinion be based upon - their thoughts? The very fabric of this forum is made up of writings on a screen. Those BAE comments have been part of his board for many years now and have incrased in intenstity over the last 12 months.

Just becayuse you choose to dismiss them as irrelevant sice it suits your agenda as rating BAE as one of the top LBs in the Prem - it doesn't not mean it isn't true. Those comments are there - black on white

But if you're such a sucker for tactical talk then you'd surely have to accept those comments which outline his shortcomings, errors and lapses in concentration and read those as constructive criticism looking to spark a debate as opposed to a stab in his back and proof or irrational hate towards one of our own.

What other way have I read it?

You're putting words in my mouth! I would ask you to stop it. I haven't once said that criticism of Ekotto or any other Spurs player is a stab in the back or proof or irrational hate towards one of our own!

What I found annoying was your statement that "most people are infatuated with his life-style choices rather than Spurs performances which clearly leads to their altered judgement." To me it seems that you are stating that the opinion of those that defend Ekotto is clearly biased and thus pretty much worthless in any rational argument or discussion. I find that belittling and rather arrogant. It is like saying that the only reason people disagree with you is because they are biased.

What I found annoying was your statement that "most people are infatuated with his life-style choices rather than Spurs performances which clearly leads to their altered judgement." To me it seems that you are stating that the opinion of those that defend Ekotto is clearly biased and thus pretty much worthless in any rational argument or discussion. I find that belittling and rather arrogant. It is like saying that the only reason people disagree with you is because they are biased.

They are not worthless (never said that, so it looks like it's you putting words in other people's mouths) - simply (subsonciously) biased. You assumed it was 'worthless' in order to give leverage to your arguments and do your daily disagreement post with me.

You also seem to be confusing the difference between over-rated and brick. BAE is not the latter but a decent LB who's been overall reliable for us with the odd lapse in concentration which seems to have increased since December. Hence my earlier comment which yourself and polski appear to have taken personal offence against

So what should opinion be based upon - their thoughts? The very fabric of this forum is made up of writings on a screen. Those BAE comments have been part of his board for many years now and have incrased in intenstity over the last 12 months.

Just becayuse you choose to dismiss them as irrelevant sice it suits your agenda as rating BAE as one of the top LBs in the Prem - it doesn't not mean it isn't true. Those comments are there - black on white

I'm not saying that the comments about BAE are irrelevant. Please read my posts.

I'm saying that the speculations about what people have as motivations for posting are irrelevant.

What other way have I read it?

You're putting words in my mouth! I would ask you to stop it. I haven't once said that criticism of Ekotto or any other Spurs player is a stab in the back or proof or irrational hate towards one of our own!

You agreed with polski who generally views criticism towards BAE (or other Spurs players) as the gravest of treachery.

I'm saying that the speculations about what people have as motivations for posting are irrelevant.

It isn't since those are the main causes of his general aura of being over-rated. i.e. those are the foundations of the notion. The cause. The root. The seed. The core. The superstructure.

I believe fans are perfectly capable of enjoying a player for his personality, passion, etc., while still being able to be objective about his ability as a player. I loved Steffen Freund when he was here, the passion he showed on the pitch, his "FREUNDS" t-shirt you could buy outside the ground, but I'd never argue that he was a very good footballer.

I personally think Benny is an excellent left back, he plays with a certain style and swagger that make him really enjoyable to watch, and the best thing about football are the players who make the game enjoyable to watch. Does he have occasional lapses in concentration and make mistakes? Yes, but find me a player who doesn't.

I personally think Benny is an excellent left back, he plays with a certain style and swagger that make him really enjoyable to watch, and the best thing about football are the players who make the game enjoyable to watch. Does he have occasional lapses in concentration and make mistakes? Yes, but find me a player who doesn't.

Summed up better than I could have put it.

I have also sat here racking my brains for half an hour trying to think of left backs who you would take instead and I am strugling

They are not worthless (never said that, so it looks like it's you putting words in other people's mouths) - simply (subsonciously) biased. You assumed it was 'worthless' in order to give leverage to your arguments and do your daily disagreement post with me.

You also seem to be confusing the difference between over-rated and brick. BAE is not the latter but a decent LB who's been overall reliable for us with the odd lapse in concentration which seems to have increased since December. Hence my earlier comment which yourself and polski appear to have taken personal offence against

I clearly said "To me it seems that" - how am I putting words in your mouth? I was telling you how I read and interpreted your post, what my impression of it was. I don't understand how this is putting words in your mouth?

If we're trying to have a rational, objective argument about the abilities of a player then any biased opinions are pretty much worthless. Do you disagree with this?

I'm not confusing the difference between over-rated and brick.

Summed up better than I could have put it.

I have also sat here racking my brains for half an hour trying to think of left backs who you would take instead and I am strugling

Attainable ones (i.e. realistic)

- Baines
- Balzaretti
- Coentrao (at a push)
- Filipe

If we're trying to have a rational, objective argument about the abilities of a player then any biased opinions are pretty much worthless. Do you disagree with this?

Biased isn't worthless, more so - subjective. So the next step for me was to figure out the root of this mega-hype. Which I then presented in this thread and was jumped upon.

You agreed with polski who generally views criticism towards BAE (or other Spurs players) as the gravest of treachery.

I agreed with him that I found your comment belittling. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he says.

It isn't since those are the main causes of his general aura of being over-rated. i.e. those are the foundations of the notion. The cause. The root. The seed. The core. The superstructure.

That is speculation.

It could also be that people just look at his footballing abilities and rate him differently than you do. It could be that you are right. It could be that you are wrong. It could be that other people rate left backs differently, with more focus on attacking abilities than you have. It could be... It could be... It could be...

Again, the first question I asked: Why do you have to assume that those that disagree with you automatically have some illogical bias causing their opinion?

Back