• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
If you read Jason Burt on Twitter he thinks it is going to be Sherwood and that the plan is Sherwood. I wouldn't be surprised if all this vague posturing around Europe is just to placate fans into thinking they are trying their best, and once they get rejected by all the obvious choices they will turn to Sherwood pleading they had no other choice. Sherwood will then do ok for the rest of the season and the club will be able to say they want him to continue the good work he has started.

Would not happen, everyone knows that Hoddle would jump at it. And IMO the majority fanbase would prefer Hoddle over Sherwood for 6 months.

You're saying that Levy is making it look like he doesn't rate Sherwood less than he actually rates him and making it look like he's ending up with reluctantly giving the job to Sherwood after failing to secure his top targets ending up with a backup plan to sort out the club's future after sacking AVB?

If this is the case I think Levy needs to hire a new conspirator for his "fool the fans schemes". Cause doing this makes him look less than competent and won't instill any trust in Sherwood.

I would completely buy the PR move to make it look like we have at least tried for some 'big names' even though he actually would rather just have Sherwood. It makes no sense to hire another big name because I don't think anyone is going to work under the constraints he puts on managers.

He wasted a whole year in 2003/4 because he wanted to hire a big name, and then when Martin Jol was suggested to him as the best candidate, he didn't give him the job immediately because the fans would be furious.

And if he isn't doing this as a PR move and genuinely had nobody lined up, he's a bigger fool than I'm giving him credit for with my alternate theory.

If you read Jason Burt on Twitter he thinks it is going to be Sherwood and that the plan is Sherwood. I wouldn't be surprised if all this vague posturing around Europe is just to placate fans into thinking they are trying their best, and once they get rejected by all the obvious choices they will turn to Sherwood pleading they had no other choice. Sherwood will then do ok for the rest of the season and the club will be able to say they want him to continue the good work he has started.

Time for those three immortal words?

Serious...Relegation...Fears

Time for those three immortal words?

Serious...Relegation...Fears

Do it GB, you know only good things happen when you utter those words ;)

Think I'd prefer Jol for 6 months than Sherwood or Hoddle tbh.

I wanted AVB to stay but could understand Levy moving him on if he had someone lined up. It looks like we don't. At all.

I would completely buy the PR move to make it look like we have at least tried for some 'big names' even though he actually would rather just have Sherwood. It makes no sense to hire another big name because I don't think anyone is going to work under the constraints he puts on managers.

He wasted a whole year in 2003/4 because he wanted to hire a big name, and then when Martin Jol was suggested to him as the best candidate, he didn't give him the job immediately because the fans would be furious.

And if he isn't doing this as a PR move and genuinely had nobody lined up, he's a bigger fool than I'm giving him credit for with my alternate theory.

Source?

I disagree completely, assuming that names like the one's we have had managing us in the last decade counts as "big names". I think we're a much more attractive club to managers than you think.

So you're saying that he should have the replacement ready before sacking AVB? So you're saying that the approach taken by Levy and the board when they got rid of Jol by having negotiations with other clubs and the new manager before sacking the old manager was the right way to go?

Source?

I disagree completely, assuming that names like the one's we have had managing us in the last decade counts as "big names". I think we're a much more attractive club to managers than you think.

So you're saying that he should have the replacement ready before sacking AVB? So you're saying that the approach taken by Levy and the board when they got rid of Jol by having negotiations with other clubs and the new manager before sacking the old manager was the right way to go?

Jol has given an interview where he gives the exact quote 'But Daniel said we need a big name, you know'.

I think we should at least have some idea of who we are going to go for and have put out the feelers through intermediaries, before sacking a manager that the playing staff were actually quite happy with. Don't sack him in the middle of a match like Jol of course, but have someone in mind and be pretty sure you will be successful when you make an approach rather than writing off yet another season.

Jol has given an interview where he gives the exact quote 'But Daniel said we need a big name, you know'.

I think we should at least have some idea of who we are going to go for and have put out the feelers through intermediaries, before sacking a manager that the playing staff were actually quite happy with. Don't sack him in the middle of a match like Jol of course, but have someone in mind and be pretty sure you will be successful when you make an approach rather than writing off yet another season.

Even if that quote is correct and it accurately reflects both what happened and what Levy thought how does that show that the reasoning for wanting a big name was to appease the fans?

It has been speculated that we've had feelers out. I don't think we're writing the season off at all. It could be argued that with the continued problems with AVB that keeping him on "for the long term" would have been just as much of a season write off as sacking him I tihnk.

Again, I submit for your consideration Lucien f*cking Favre. :p

I'm going to bump this to the current page as I happen to strongly agree (and have also put the name forward in this and other threads). I just can't for the life of me work out why it's only 2 of us that see it... :-k

Laudrup is saying "I can come in the summer":-

Swansea City boss Michael Laudrup on speculation linking him with the vacant Tottenham managerial position:

"It's always flattering when others are talking about you. Tottenham are a big club, but the only thing I will say is I would never leave a club in the middle of the season.

"I've never done that as a player and a manager and it wont happen in the future either."

I'm going to bump this to the current page as I happen to strongly agree (and have also put the name forward in this and other threads). I just can't for the life of me work out why it's only 2 of us that see it... :-k

I can understand why you would see him as a decent candidate, my only concern with him or any other overseas manager is that I would ideally like a manager with Premiership experience.

I can understand why you would see him as a decent candidate, my only concern with him or any other overseas manager is that I would ideally like a manager with Premiership experience.

Whats so good about him then? Whats his style of play and experience with big players and multiple cultures?

According to the poll there are 6 of you. ;)

Edit: Make that 7

All those talking about Rogers and Suarez - well he's just signed a new long term deal. Suarez that is.

Even if that quote is correct and it accurately reflects both what happened and what Levy thought how does that show that the reasoning for wanting a big name was to appease the fans?

It has been speculated that we've had feelers out. I don't think we're writing the season off at all. It could be argued that with the continued problems with AVB that keeping him on "for the long term" would have been just as much of a season write off as sacking him I tihnk.

Why would they need a big name for any other reason? Jol is talking about being offered the job - ergo he has been identified as the best guy but they don't want to give him it...because they 'need a big name'. It's a PR consideration for one reason or another.

I just don't think we were on an inevitable downward spiral with AVB, that's not what those defeats suggest. If the players had lost faith, sure. If it was 6 defeats in a row, sure. Big defeats at a time when foreign players are settling in suggests teething problems that can be taken care of.

This whole setup is doomed to failure. I don't see how so many people at Spurs have a say in transfers, they may as well put gg in charge. So we hire FdB, he wants player X, Baldini wants player Y, Sherwood says player X is better than player Y but player Z would be even better, Levy says they're all too expensive and signs Chadli instead. Baldini approves his choice, Sherwood is unsure, FdB is ****ed off, Spurs play ****, FdB gets sacked, Sherwood takes over, Sherwood drops players A, B, C and D as he prefers players E, F, G and H ... A, B, C and D hand in transfer requests, Levy says no and tells Tim to play them instead, they play but Tim doesn't believe in them, Spurs lose, he gets demoted, Baldini tells Levy to hire manager I, J or K, none of them want to know, Sherwood suggests manager L, Levy hires him, Baldini doesn't approve so he tells Levy to sign a bunch of players who he secretly feels are **** in January, we sign them, they play like ****, Spurs play like **** and manager L is fired.

And repeat.

As in any other industry you can either get with the programme or **** off. Considering the amount of money involved, if you're trying to run a football as opposed to just play with it, any owner/chairman will want to know where it is going and what he's getting in return. Simply handing the manager a check of any arbitrary number of millions and let him do whatever he wants would be considered negligence of duty anywhere else.

Whoever's on the committee can all make suggestions, then you send scouts to take a closer look and file detailed reports. If you're going to invest £20 million in someone you should make sure that they not only have the necessary footballing skills, but also what they're like as a person. If he's a hard worker or a lazy git, easily motivated or a tendency to sulk, all kinds of things. Then you make a decision as a group based on all the info you have. Of course, there may be the odd case where Levy will say "We can't afford to get you Hulk, but we've gotten some good feedback on this Chadli kid".

In a system like this you have a head coach that deals with training and team selection. If he can't make it work he'll be replaced. Such is life for any employee in any business.

I would be mightily surprised if there aren't a few release clauses in it, but that's for another thread.

Back