• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
I've lost a considerable amount of passion for football over the last 18 months. A number of factors have contributed to this:

The way we threw away decent league positions two consecutive seasons
Missing out on the CL in such an unbelievably unlucky fashion
The constant managerial merry go round at the club
Levy making hasty decisions in the transfer window or failing to act where just one player MAY have been enough to turn a very good season into a great season
The style of play since the beginning of last season

I will always love Spurs, but I've managed to deal with disappointment far better than two years ago. The kind of defeat we suffered last Sunday would have taken me weeks to get over, takes me about half an hour these days, simply no point getting so worked up about it. It leaves me feeling ambivalent as to who we appoint as manager, I'm not saying I don't care, but even if we manage to get someone like De Boer who is a highly rated, up and coming manager, he still wouldn't be a sure thing.

Bielsa would be another AVB (or Ramos) in that he'd be targeted immediately by the press and employ some methods that could be seen as 'unorthodox', especially by our British-bred players.

I can see Neil Ashton and Martin Samuel's headlines now

Maybe, but if the choice is him or Sherwood, I'd have thought Bielsa would be more likely to make a better job of it for this season. That's not a knock on Sherwood really, we just don't know anything about him.

I think, at least, our big money signings (Lamela, Soldado) would be given a big lift from such an appointment. When a guy gets huge endorsements from the likes of Pep Guardiola, he's automatically going to command a certain level of respect. I am not sure Sherwood is gonna get this (not straight away) from our more exotic players -- and they are the ones who are going to decide if this season is to be successful or not.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but it shows how managers make their decisions on which job to take:

Brendan Rodgers has claimed he had "a close shave" in rejecting the chance to manage Tottenham Hotspur as he launched an outspoken attack on the hierarchies at White Hart Lane and Cardiff City.

The Liverpool manager delivered his scathing assessment in response to André Villas-Boas' sacking by Spurs and Malky Mackay again being undermined at Cardiff by the owner, Vincent Tan. Rodgers was approached about replacing Harry Redknapp as Tottenham manager in 2012, only to cool on the vacancy once he studied the club's track record of hiring and firing managers. He was ultimately lured from Swansea City to Liverpool that summer while Villas-Boas succeeded the discarded Redknapp.

Rodgers' doubts about working for the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, were reinforced on Monday when Villas-Boas' brief reign was ended after Liverpool's 5-0 rout of Tottenham's expensively assembled team the previous day. And he contrasted the lack of patience in north London, plus the interference in south Wales, with the support he has received from Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group.

Asked how he now felt about Tottenham's approach in 2012, the Liverpool manager replied: "A close shave. They are a great club and one of the things I looked at was their history. They'd had 11 managers in 18 years there, so for someone like myself, who needed to create something, I needed to go to a club that was going to give us that opportunity."

Rodgers believes Spurs' decision to take a world-record transfer fee for Gareth Bale last summer, at a time when Liverpool refused to sanction the sale of Luis Suárez, was the cause of Villas-Boas' problems this season.

"It's difficult. They have had a good couple of years, they were up there under Harry Redknapp. Obviously there have been difficulties from Bale leaving," he said. "It shows you that when you have someone with that x-factor, sometimes eight, nine or 10 players can't replace that. That was why we fought like tigers to keep Luis Suárez here because he is a top player, he is a performer. There are many good players but very few who perform week in, week out to that level. I am more than happy with the choice I made to come here and hopefully in time it will prove to be the right one."

Rodgers might crow now, but see how he feels when he has to sell Suarez and things take a down-turn. Benitez achieved a lot more and ended up with the sack. Woy didn't get too long, neither did King Kenny on his return.

He might be the next Fergie/Wenger but I doubt it. I think those days are gone.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but it shows how managers make their decisions on which job to take:

Brendan Rodgers has claimed he had "a close shave" in rejecting the chance to manage Tottenham Hotspur as he launched an outspoken attack on the hierarchies at White Hart Lane and Cardiff City.

The Liverpool manager delivered his scathing assessment in response to André Villas-Boas' sacking by Spurs and Malky Mackay again being undermined at Cardiff by the owner, Vincent Tan. Rodgers was approached about replacing Harry Redknapp as Tottenham manager in 2012, only to cool on the vacancy once he studied the club's track record of hiring and firing managers. He was ultimately lured from Swansea City to Liverpool that summer while Villas-Boas succeeded the discarded Redknapp.

Rodgers' doubts about working for the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, were reinforced on Monday when Villas-Boas' brief reign was ended after Liverpool's 5-0 rout of Tottenham's expensively assembled team the previous day. And he contrasted the lack of patience in north London, plus the interference in south Wales, with the support he has received from Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group.

Asked how he now felt about Tottenham's approach in 2012, the Liverpool manager replied: "A close shave. They are a great club and one of the things I looked at was their history. They'd had 11 managers in 18 years there, so for someone like myself, who needed to create something, I needed to go to a club that was going to give us that opportunity."

Rodgers believes Spurs' decision to take a world-record transfer fee for Gareth Bale last summer, at a time when Liverpool refused to sanction the sale of Luis Suárez, was the cause of Villas-Boas' problems this season.

"It's difficult. They have had a good couple of years, they were up there under Harry Redknapp. Obviously there have been difficulties from Bale leaving," he said. "It shows you that when you have someone with that x-factor, sometimes eight, nine or 10 players can't replace that. That was why we fought like tigers to keep Luis Suárez here because he is a top player, he is a performer. There are many good players but very few who perform week in, week out to that level. I am more than happy with the choice I made to come here and hopefully in time it will prove to be the right one."

fair enough but It all boils down to Real prioritised Bale over Suarez.......and if they had of gone hell for leather for Suarez there would have been more problems for Brendan........

either way fair point......stop treating our managers like passing ships in the night....im sure the penny is dropping.

It looks like our old friend hubris is back in town.

16 games in and Rodgers is preaching like a shaman, offering opinions like confetti and slating other clubs.

It never, ever does in life to get ahead of yourself like this. He could regret his smugness.

That he could. Although it will never happen, its a shame we can't get Harry back for the rest of the season. He knows many of the players, would get the new signings moving, sort our home form and go for it in the league.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that we'd stand a chance of pipping Rodgers and 'pool for the CL. Not sure who else could come in and hit the ground running.

De Telegraaf a couple of hours ago.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/22156242/__De_Boer___Spurs_afgezegd___.html

Translation.

Ajax coach not finished in Amsterdam
De Boer : " Spurs canceled '
by Mike Verweij
SPAKENBURG -

Frank de Boer said to have been the interest from Tottenham Hotspur . Honored after the Cup victory IJsselmeervogels ( 0-3 ) , , It means that I 'm good at , " said the coach , who Spurs however disappointing and certainly not the successor Andre Villas - Boas is . , , For the rest I can not do much with , because I'm very happy here . I'm just getting started with Ajax . "

De Boer said to have considered leaving . Ajax a second , Spurs are currently no club can bring . Me doubt I think it's a great club . That's for sure. Liverpool as it was, when at that time . But I am very satisfied with Ajax and am not ready yet " , he showed his appetite for the fourth league title in a row , which he would write history.

Well padded the leadership of the club the manager of De Boer . " Who knows how I feel but still has just called me ," said the former defender.

We're running out of options by the minute, we're being out numbered and out gunned on the pitch.

No matter how positively I try to think about this I just cannot see where we're going at the moment.

4363638583_112b015d02.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like our old friend hubris is back in town.

16 games in and Rodgers is preaching like a shaman, offering opinions like confetti and slating other clubs.

It never, ever does in life to get ahead of yourself like this. He could regret his smugness.

Exactly.

West Ham have managed 5 clean sheets in their last ten games. Impressive(?)but they are in the relegation zone. Fat Sam has been guaranteed his job as well.

I'm not sure who I want. It wasn't Sherwood's fault we lost last night-it was AVB's for not playing Ade and the AT injury hurt us bad.

Even De Boer is a gamble. Let's see how we do at the weekend.

I still think that Basle coach could be decent. They play good football, completely destroyed us at the Lane and beat Chelsea in both legs in the CL I believe. They are on a break till 1 Feb now so perfect time.

I'm not sure who I want. It wasn't Sherwood's fault we lost last night-it was AVB's for not playing Ade and the AT injury hurt us bad.

Even De Boer is a gamble. Let's see how we do at the weekend.

We need to take things one game at a time now as the players' confidence is so low and it could be the case that it has been for a while since Bale left.

I haven't scratched my head this much since we sacked Hoddle, really no sense of where do we go now?

As everyone else has said De Boer won't leave Ajax mid season and we now fear leaving Sherwood in charge. DL had no plan and pulled the trigger based on poor results and an obvious loss of faith in AVB, not sure how to feel right now, because if Sherwood can't get them firing we may panic buy a new manager who won't do us any good.

We can still have a good season this season -- but we need to get the new man in quick. If it's the Basle coach, then just go and get it done, don't f**k about here Levy!

Actually Brendan it was only the intervention of the owner Henry that put a stop to the sale of Suarez. If I remember correctly Rodgers was spouting lines containing words like 'disrespect' and 'everyone has their price'.

Last edited:

Saw that earlier its like he's a having a go for the sack of it. Managers Unions all banding together over someone getting sacked same way AVB couldnt believe when Adkins was sacked from Southampton. Well we all know how that worked out.
Also his stat is bull****:
We've had 9 managers in 18 years not 11.
By comparison Liverpool have had 6 in 18 years.
And Chelsea have had 13 in 18 years.

a short term manager till the summer isnt the end of the world, then we can get a big name we couldnt get now (hopefully klopp, we are his type of project). problem is the short term manager will need to do well to make us attractive in the summer.
all things considered there is no reason why we shouldn't get bielsa in asap

Bielsa isn't gonna slum it at Tottenham, I can't see us appealing to him at all, it would solve the lb predicament mind.

De Telegraaf a couple of hours ago.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/voetbal/ajax/22156242/__De_Boer___Spurs_afgezegd___.html

Translation.

We're running out of options by the minute, we're being out numbered and out gunned on the pitch.

No matter how positively I try to think about this I just cannot see where we're going at the moment.

4363638583_112b015d02.jpg

I count one of our potential targets that were deemed plausible now most likely turning us down.

I don't quite see this as us running out of options by the minute unless he was the one and only man on our potential targets list.

We can still have a good season this season -- but we need to get the new man in quick. If it's the Basle coach, then just go and get it done, don't f**k about here Levy!

I see no reason to think that Levy is ****ing about. FDB seems like he's been asked and he's rejected us, most likely a lot has been going on behind the scenes that (so far) hasn't been reported in the media. He needs to get the new man in quickly, but he also needs to go for the top rated targets somewhat in order...

Back