• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I see we are back to the usual flimflam narratives

- Why would any promising manager come to Spurs? -> how about £13.5M reasons? to put into context, the guy winning the Italian league at Napoli is earning €3.5M, Nagelsmann was earning ~€8M, fudging Potter at Chelsea is on £10M, De Zerbi on £1.5M
- Hope the club shows ambition? Jose/Conte and ->£300M of spending isn't ambition? right vs. wrong choices is a legitimate call but if you hire Conte and give him £200M+ and Bentancur, Deki, Richi, Perisic, Bissouma, Porro on top of Romero have arrived just before, hardly lacks ambition.
- We will never challenge for CL again? -> heard it after Redknapp, heard it after Poch, sure I'll hear it again, Spurs continues

A great player has most likely worked with great managers. So will have learned from them. It doesn't guarantee they'd be a good manager themselves, or that that manager was a good teacher, but gives them a better chance. Just like any education.
I think it's less about what they've learned because football really isn't that difficult tactically and it's more about their ability to instruct and explain. Being a great player doesn't give you any more amplitude for teaching and that areas are is where the great coaches excel.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

- Hope the club shows ambition? Jose/Conte and ->£300M of spending isn't ambition? right vs. wrong choices is a legitimate call but if you hire Conte and give him £200M+ and Bentancur, Deki, Richi, Perisic, Bissouma, Porro on top of Romero have arrived just before, hardly lacks ambition.

This is the thing which is often ignored, whether intentionally or lazily. Take those names which you mention and add Kane, Son plus some potential in Sarr, Skipp, Udogie and some solid pros like PEH etc and there's the core of a decent squad. Just need a couple CBs, a GK and a creative player this summer

The problem with the squad isnt hte last couple years, its the £200m which we spent over c.2019-2022 on the likes of Ndombele, GLC, Reguilon, Gil, Doherty, Sessegnon, Bergwijn, etc but with minimal return (either financially or on the pitch) from them. Swap that lot for just a couple CBs and we'd be substantially better

This is the thing which is often ignored, whether intentionally or lazily. Take those names which you mention and add Kane, Son plus some potential in Sarr, Skipp, Udogie and some solid pros like PEH etc and there's the core of a decent squad. Just need a couple CBs, a GK and a creative player this summer

The problem with the squad isnt hte last couple years, its the £200m which we spent over c.2019-2022 on the likes of Ndombele, GLC, Reguilon, Gil, Doherty, Sessegnon, Bergwijn, etc but with minimal return (either financially or on the pitch) from them. Swap that lot for just a couple CBs and we'd be substantially better

Exactly, but that's the whole problem with evaluating Spurs in general

- Talking about the winter window with Harry or "that" window with Poch is no longer relevant to what is possible now
- We have bought Bentancur, Deki and Porro in winter windows
- Yes, a lot of misses especially pre Paratici but Paratici's buys have been almost without a flop.

We are too concerned with bitching about the time three managers ago to comment realistically about moving forward.

One option that we are overlooking is Stellini himself. If he puts together a good run to get us into a CL spot, could he be considered an option? The results and, more importantly, the performances under him have been good, bar the Sheffield game. He may be Conte's assistant, but it's not like they're tied at the hip. He's been with Conte on and off in the past 10 years and at 48, maybe he fancies a chance at a top job himself. It's pretty unlikely that he would get the job, but I wouldn't put it entirely out of the realm of possibility.

One option that we are overlooking is Stellini himself. If he puts together a good run to get us into a CL spot, could he be considered an option? The results and, more importantly, the performances under him have been good, bar the Sheffield game. He may be Conte's assistant, but it's not like they're tied at the hip. He's been with Conte on and off in the past 10 years and at 48, maybe he fancies a chance at a top job himself. It's pretty unlikely that he would get the job, but I wouldn't put it entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I think its a real long shot. A manager can fluke a 10 game streak, particularly when you have someone like Kane in your team

The counter is that Levy has history with the Santini > Jol change, but Jol was an experienced manager in his own right

With where we are as a club nowdays and the importance of getting this hire right, I just dont see Levy even taking a risk with a de Zerbi, Kompany etc. I think he'll want some degree of big club, front line experience, and therefore that would rule out Stellini.

Imagine the flak Levy would take if he hired Stellini and he didnt succeed

Cou ld of course be completely wrong...!

I think its a real long shot. A manager can fluke a 10 game streak, particularly when you have someone like Kane in your team

The counter is that Levy has history with the Santini > Jol change, but Jol was an experienced manager in his own right

With where we are as a club nowdays and the importance of getting this hire right, I just dont see Levy even taking a risk with a de Zerbi, Kompany etc. I think he'll want some degree of big club, front line experience, and therefore that would rule out Stellini.

Imagine the flak Levy would take if he hired Stellini and he didnt succeed

Cou ld of course be completely wrong...!
The conundrum would be if we go 10-0 playing nice football in the process. Of course, if Poch or Nagelsman are available in the summer (i.e. haven't gone to a PSG/Chelsea/Real), the fans would skin Levy alive were he to keep Stellini, even if he went 10-0 averaging 3 goals a game and 0.5 conceded.

Isn’t our squad really built for 3-4–3? Porro strikes me as neither a full back or a winger, sounds like Udogie is the same. There isn’t a centre back we have that I’d trust in a 2 and we have no creative midfielder.

The whole DoF model is designed so there is continuity as managers change and there is no massive retooling of the squad required. Leaving aside the questions around Paratici, does that restrict our options in terms of replacements?

Isn’t our squad really built for 3-4–3? Porro strikes me as neither a full back or a winger, sounds like Udogie is the same. There isn’t a centre back we have that I’d trust in a 2 and we have no creative midfielder.

The whole DoF model is designed so there is continuity as managers change and there is no massive retooling of the squad required. Leaving aside the questions around Paratici, does that restrict our options in terms of replacements?

- You wouldn't trust Romero in a 2?
- Yes, Porro, Udogie, Spence are WBs, however Royal, Reguilon, Sess can play FB, with Davies capable of playing both.
- Creative midfielder is a need for any model moving forward.

I'd argue Romero, Royal, Davies, Bentancur, Skipp, PEH, Bissouma, Richarlison, Deki, Son, Kane are 11 players you can play with. Sarr, Gil, Spence, Udogie are 4 good youth players to evaluate.

We know we need a CB (or 2), a creative midfielder and a Hugo replacement

The big issue will likely remain -> Winks, Ndombele, Rodon, Reguilon, Lo Celso, to a total of 11 on loan need to be sorted out

Porro, Udogie and Spence are no different to Rose and Walker really.

I think Porro could probably do a job right in 4-2-3-1. Perhaps a more direct alternative to Kulu's indirect style. Assuming we concentrate all our funds on ACMs and CBs, we could perhaps go something like:

Spence/Royal-------CBs--------CBs----------Udogie/Davies

-----------------------CMs--------CMs

Kulu/Porro--------------ACMs-----------------Son/Gil

-----------------------------CFs

And Romero just won the WC playing CB in a back 4

I wouldn’t trust Romero in a 2 with any of our other CBs who I also wouldn’t trust in their own right in a 2. Put Romero with a quality centre back and that maybe changes.

Would the club have spunked 40m on Porro with all the associated drama if there was a possibility of moving back to playing a 4?

I wouldn’t trust Romero in a 2 with any of our other CBs who I also wouldn’t trust in their own right in a 2. Put Romero with a quality centre back and that maybe changes.

Would the club have spunked 40m on Porro with all the associated drama if there was a possibility of moving back to playing a 4?

The club was backing the manager (something everyone seems to push)

Going forwards you can't concede midfield every week because of one £40m player. Porro looks versatile enough anyway. The trick is more about getting Skipp to drop in between the CBs when needed.

Remember we also moved to 3 anti-football coaches straight after spending £100m on creative ballplayers, so joined-up thinking like that isn't necessarily there.

It depends. Porro could play in a front 3. Deki could play as a creative midfielder (has stated in the past that the 10 role is his preferred one). That gives us a lot of flexibility, as you could rotate Royal/Porro/Spence at RB/RWB. Porro/Deki on the right of a front 3, although one might argue that Porro being right-footed might not suit that. Can also move Perisic to that side, if needed. In general, I don't think we're as locked into a back 3 as it might seem.

I find it hard to consider it as an option....I always get spooked by 'Solskjær syndrome'

Back