• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I know fudge all about overseas football other than most are 2/3 team leagues with those teams having a virtual monopoly of best players, which doesn't apply to our position. My choice would be Kompany as he had quickly changed an anti football team into an attacking unit even thought they are in a lower league, but he's probably waiting for the City job.

Isn’t our squad really built for 3-4–3? Porro strikes me as neither a full back or a winger, sounds like Udogie is the same. There isn’t a centre back we have that I’d trust in a 2 and we have no creative midfielder.

The whole DoF model is designed so there is continuity as managers change and there is no massive retooling of the squad required. Leaving aside the questions around Paratici, does that restrict our options in terms of replacements?

Look at the 4-3-3 wihch Liverpool's have used over the last few years. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson play as wingbacks and get away with it given the 3 midfielders which they play hold their positions and rarely get beyond the forwards.

No reason Porro cant play in a back 4 - just depends on who the CMs are

edit: corrected formation reference

Last edited:
I think we'll probably end up with having to take a 'gamble' on Arne Slot, Rubin Amorin or Roger Schmidt.

The 'best'' managers are likely to be guarded in taking our job. If you look at recent history (as is always sensible to do when trying to predict the future) they'll see....

Harry sacked after PL finishes of 4th, 5th, 4th.
AVB sacked having finished 5th and with the club in 7th place at the point he was sacked.
Sherwood sacked having improved the league position to a 6th place finish.
Pochettino sacked only 12 games into the season having gone 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (with a CL final) before that.
Mourinho sacked on the eve of a Cup final (with the club not having won a trophy for over a decade) having finished 6th the prior season and in 7th place at point of sacking.
Nuno sacked after only 10 PL games
Conte sacked after getting the club up to a 4th place PL finish last season and in 4th place in the league this season at the point of sacking.

In fact looking at the above I'm not sure that even the three 'gambles' I mentioned would be that keen!.... Though I suppose they'll earn a far larger salary at our club and would probably be able to get jobs at similar clubs to those they are at now when they're sacked by Spurs in around 16 month's time.

Look at the 3-4-3 wihch Liverpool's have used over the last few years. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson play as wingbacks and get away with it given the 3 midfielders which they play hold their positions and rarely get beyond the forwards.

No reason Porro cant play in a back 4 - just depends on who the CMs are
Have Liverpool used a 3-4-3? Has always looked like 2 centre backs to me.

I think we'll probably end up with having to take a 'gamble' on Arne Slot, Rubin Amorin or Roger Schmidt.

Though I suppose they'll earn a far larger salary at our club and would probably be able to get jobs at similar clubs to those they are at now when they're sacked by Spurs in around 16 month's time.

That's the point, Poch, Jose and Conte earned more than Potter is earning at Chelsea (and they throw money at brick just because), Naopli's manager is earning a quarter of Conte's, people like Arne? De Zeri is earning less than 10% (£1.5M vs. £13.5M).

There is no stigma in football to being fired, Ancelotti himself has said "I've been fired from every job I have ever had"

Spurs is really upside, Tier 1 club manager salary, ready made excuse if you fail, and huge kudos if you even get close to succeeding

That's the point, Poch, Jose and Conte earned more than Potter is earning at Chelsea (and they throw money at brick just because), Naopli's manager is earning a quarter of Conte's, people like Arne? De Zeri is earning less than 10% (£1.5M vs. £13.5M).

There is no stigma in football to being fired, Ancelotti himself has said "I've been fired from every job I have ever had"

Spurs is really upside, Tier 1 club manager salary, ready made excuse if you fail, and huge kudos if you even get close to succeeding
It is a dangerous job to take on for a manager like Nagelsman as failure at Spurs may well mean jobs at the true big clubs one level up from us may not materialise. I'm also not sure that we'll pay our next manager as much as we paid Conte as I don't think they will have nearly as big a name in the game as he does.

It is a dangerous job to take on for a manager like Nagelsman as failure at Spurs may well mean jobs at the true big clubs one level up from us may not materialise. I'm also not sure that we'll pay our next manager as much as we paid Conte as I don't think they will have nearly as big a name in the game as he does.

Poch had a big salary coming from Southampton, we have never been cheap on manager wages. The other thing to consider is with how broke European clubs are, there isn't a lot of £13M+ jobs available (Ancelotti earns less at Madrid) or likely to be any time soon.

I'd say any manager worth considering would probably back themselves (it's what people at top of their game do).

I think there's quite a number of options available for Levy and his biggest issue is going to be working out what he wants from a manager.

Its also helped by few other big jobs being available. In the PL, none of Man C, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Saudi Sportswashing Machine etc look like obviously be available this summer. Bayern have just appointed Tuchel, Xavi is going nowhere at Barca. PSG could become available as could Real but GHod knows what they'll do.

So whether its Poch, Enrique, Nagelsmann, de Zerbi, Frank, Slot, Glasner, Amorim etc, I don't think this summer is going to be a bad time to appoint a manager. Feels like its a buyer's market, in contrast with the farce when we ended up with Nuno where no managers seemed available

Main thing is for Levy to work out what type of manager he wants and, even more importantly IMO, to make sure we have a good transfer window this summer irrespective of what happens to Paratici

In fact looking at the above I'm not sure that even the three 'gambles' I mentioned would be that keen!.... Though I suppose they'll earn a far larger salary at our club and would probably be able to get jobs at similar clubs to those they are at now when they're sacked by Spurs in around 16 month's time.

If I were a manager, I'd also try to see where these managers ended up after being sacked. Pochettino's profile, for instance, was massively raised during his time here and if they are realistic, most managers probably knows you stand little chance of staying more than 4 years in the same club - at least at a higher level.

On the other hand, AVB never recovered and it all went downhill from there.

I think pretty much anyone who takes the hotseat knows now they'll never finish whatever contract they signed in the first place. The only question is whether you a) could earn more money and b) raise your profile in order to earn even more money and, possibly, move on to better things.

Despite the cult status he enjoys here, I'm not sure many managers out there consider Pochettino as someone special. Never heard anyone who mentioned him as a role-model anyway. So, I'd say most second-tier managers should/would be confident of 'doing a Pochettino', ie earn plenty of money and move on to one of the richest club in Europe. Despite the many drawbacks, it remains a very high-profile job. There might be safer and better options out there but if none of them are available, it's probably a good shot, even more so if you have a strong reputation in a smaller country that you could always fall back on if, like Espirito Santos, you're sacked after ten games!

The 'best'' managers are likely to be guarded in taking our job. If you look at recent history (as is always sensible to do when trying to predict the future) they'll see....

Harry sacked after PL finishes of 4th, 5th, 4th.
AVB sacked having finished 5th and with the club in 7th place at the point he was sacked.
Sherwood sacked having improved the league position to a 6th place finish.
Pochettino sacked only 12 games into the season having gone 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (with a CL final) before that.
Mourinho sacked on the eve of a Cup final (with the club not having won a trophy for over a decade) having finished 6th the prior season and in 7th place at point of sacking.
Nuno sacked after only 10 PL games
Conte sacked after getting the club up to a 4th place PL finish last season and in 4th place in the league this season at the point of sacking.

It's almost as if it's not about the past. It's about what is happening in the present and what it means for the future. You may not agree, but that's how it is.

I'd be really surprised if we end up with anyone else than Poch or Nagelsmann. Can't think of anyone else that I would want, other than perhaps Klopp if he got the sack at Liverpool.

GG’s back to the old “no-one wants to come to us, we’ll be lucky to get a Southgate or Martinez” again are we?

I’d have thought people would have learnt their lesson on this after we got Conte? Obviously didn’t work out in the long run, but the signature at the time was undoubtedly a coup. Nothing to suggest we cant sign our first choice again, whoever that may be.

GG’s back to the old “no-one wants to come to us, we’ll be lucky to get a Southgate or Martinez” again are we?

I’d have thought people would have learnt their lesson on this after we got Conte? Obviously didn’t work out in the long run, but the signature at the time was undoubtedly a coup. Nothing to suggest we cant sign our first choice again, whoever that may be.
While we did indeed eventually get Conte remember that we also got Nuno for a while before him.

Despite the cult status he enjoys here, I'm not sure many managers out there consider Pochettino as someone special. Never heard anyone who mentioned him as a role-model anyway.

Which managers have you heard described as a role model by other managers? Strange stick to beat Poch with.

Edit I'm sure Alex Ferguson coveted him as a Man Utd manager at one point.

Back