• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Only one spot up for grabs really

OFFENSIVE TEAM

---------------Lloris---------------

Walker--Fazio---Vertonghen--Either

---------Bentaleb--Mason------------

Lennon-------Kane--------Eriksen

-------------xxxxxx------------------

DEFENSIVE TEAM

---------Bentaleb--xxxxxx------------

Lennon-------Mason--------Eriksen

-------------Kane------------------

I agree with that spot on really, the worrying part is those two vacant spots nobody on our books really fills me with confidence to take those on

I disagree with you there. When Chadli has played wide he constantly ignores the runs forward of the opposition fullbacks, I have lost count of the times that Rose had both the opposing wide player and fullback to deal with. Mason tries to get across to help but the opposition are still able to overload us by also bringing a central player out there.

I thought it was evident against Everton how much harder Eriksen worked to ensure that he always covered Coleman's runs (Lennon did the same with Baines). Mason then generally picked up Eto'o as he came across to try to help give his team a numerical advantage. This resulted in us looking much more solid defensively and Everton had to go backwards pretty much every time.

I have also seen several occasions where Chadli won't even run 5 or 6 yards to get goalside of a player, which has given them an easy platform to build attacks.

It is infuriating as Chadli is clearly a very good player, but without adding workrate I think he is impossible to pick if we want to see cohesive performances from Spurs. The only time I would want Chadli on the pitch is if we are playing against a team who really are parking the bus and refusing to push their fullbacks forward.

Going off topic here for a second, but...

I wonder if players like Eriksen and Chadli have/had some bad habits because of playing in a smaller league for some time. I don't watch Dutch football, but in general in smaller leagues you can get away with a lot as a creative attacking player, particularly at successful clubs. The intensity and effort needed to work properly under someone like Poch just isn't necessary in most games at a successful club in a smaller league. And as long as you're one of the best players, scoring goals, getting assists etc, whose going to have a go at you?

I think it's been a season of change for Eriksen. It's taken some time, but the effort he put in against Everton was a real sign of change. That came after being subbed several times later on in games when he obviously wanted to play more. But Eriksen seems like a proper pro that responded well and will hopefully be a much better player for us as a result. I think we need a similar reaction from Chadli. Nothing short of every possible inch of effort given will be enough.

I agree with that spot on really, the worrying part is those two vacant spots nobody on our books really fills me with confidence to take those on

Which is good news as it should clearly show where our needs are and where we should be spending money in the transfer market. Somebody like Nigel De Jong would be ideal in the defensive team I think - especially as he would also add some experience and a winning mentality. Only 6 months left on his contract at AC Milan as well so absolutely gettable for a small fee in January.

Of course that leaves us the centre forward problem. I really like the look of Icardi at Inter Milan, but I question whether we can afford to take what would probably be a thirty odd million pound gamble on a player from a league that is very different to our own?

Going off topic here for a second, but...

I wonder if players like Eriksen and Chadli have/had some bad habits because of playing in a smaller league for some time. I don't watch Dutch football, but in general in smaller leagues you can get away with a lot as a creative attacking player, particularly at successful clubs. The intensity and effort needed to work properly under someone like Poch just isn't necessary in most games at a successful club in a smaller league. And as long as you're one of the best players, scoring goals, getting assists etc, whose going to have a go at you?

I think it's been a season of change for Eriksen. It's taken some time, but the effort he put in against Everton was a real sign of change. That came after being subbed several times later on in games when he obviously wanted to play more. But Eriksen seems like a proper pro that responded well and will hopefully be a much better player for us as a result. I think we need a similar reaction from Chadli. Nothing short of every possible inch of effort given will be enough.

I think you are probably right in your thoughts.... As one of the really talented players in The Netherlands you probably aren't expected to have to work and the opposition won't create numerical advantages as they are probably more concerned about leaving you unmarked as they do this.

I hope Chadli does have that Ericksen moment where he realises that a vastly improved workrate is necessary. Pochettino has to reinforce this by not picking him unless he demonstrates it.

Only one spot up for grabs really

OFFENSIVE TEAM

---------Bentaleb--Mason------------

Lennon-------Kane--------Eriksen

-------------xxxxxx------------------

DEFENSIVE TEAM

---------Bentaleb--xxxxxx------------

Lennon-------Mason--------Eriksen

-------------Kane------------------

You seriously don't think soldado has shown himself to be a better fit for this team than Ade has?

I think you are probably right in your thoughts.... As one of the really talented players in The Netherlands you probably aren't expected to have to work and the opposition won't create numerical advantages as they are probably more concerned about leaving you unmarked as they do this.

I hope Chadli does have that Ericksen moment where he realises that a vastly improved workrate is necessary. Pochettino has to reinforce this by not picking him unless he demonstrates it.

Or like with Eriksen, picking him and then subbing him when appropriate.

This thread has gone well off topic...

But I'd say Davies has nailed the left back spot. Rose isnt good enough.

This thread has gone well off topic...

But I'd say Davies has nailed the left back spot. Rose isnt good enough.

Yes Rose is good enough. And we need both of them, it isnt coincidence that Davies has looked better against teams strong in attack and have needed to defend more. When playing against teams who sit deep and require us to break them down Davies has looked more ordinary with the ball and going forward not really provided a threat. It is in these type of games that Rose could well be better served as he provides width and is a great attacking outlet with his pace....

You seriously don't think soldado has shown himself to be a better fit for this team than Ade has?

I couldn't bring myself to type Soldado. He's scored 1 goal in 63,000 minutes of football.

I honestly think Kyle Walker, Ian Walker or Luke Skywalker would have scored more than Soldado has for Spurs.

Nabil was excellent against the best club side in this country and the top 5 in the world. A midfield made up of real skilled and talented players. And I repeat what others have said, he is only 20. Has just been away to a tough World Cup campaign, regularly jets off for AFCON games. And still has the energy to play two games in 4 days after an injury lay off. He has ability, intelligence and desire. Everything we have been screaming at the club to buy but we have it already. A real star in the making.

Nabil was excellent against the best club side in this country and the top 5 in the world. A midfield made up of real skilled and talented players. And I repeat what others have said, he is only 20. Has just been away to a tough World Cup campaign, regularly jets off for AFCON games. And still has the energy to play two games in 4 days after an injury lay off. He has ability, intelligence and desire. Everything we have been screaming at the club to buy but we have it already. A real star in the making.

Totally agree with this.. He is showing the same signs that we see in Bale in the early days that this kid has just got "it".. Not perfect, makes the odd mistake but will be a top player, and sooner rather than later.

I disagree with you there. When Chadli has played wide he constantly ignores the runs forward of the opposition fullbacks, I have lost count of the times that Rose had both the opposing wide player and fullback to deal with. Mason tries to get across to help but the opposition are still able to overload us by also bringing a central player out there.

I thought it was evident against Everton how much harder Eriksen worked to ensure that he always covered Coleman's runs (Lennon did the same with Baines). Mason then generally picked up Eto'o as he came across to try to help give his team a numerical advantage. This resulted in us looking much more solid defensively and Everton had to go backwards pretty much every time.

I have also seen several occasions where Chadli won't even run 5 or 6 yards to get goalside of a player, which has given them an easy platform to build attacks.

It is infuriating as Chadli is clearly a very good player, but without adding workrate I think he is impossible to pick if we want to see cohesive performances from Spurs. The only time I would want Chadli on the pitch is if we are playing against a team who really are parking the bus and refusing to push their fullbacks forward.

Bullet mentions Mata above and that is a great example. A player who is more talented than Chadli and yet still Mourinho knew that he wasn't worth accomodating as he makes it so much harder for the team to defend. I think Ozil also provides the same problem for Arsenal too.

Chadli gets in the team for sheer goals IMO

I am not. A fan and have been critical of him but you can't argue with his goal return. If he can play in the attacking side highlighted above with discipline to hold his position then it's a mist for me.... However I doubt he can or will as he seems to be a play suited to the 4-2-3-1 where he can play anywhere across the 3 and therefore have no accountability for his defending. It's why Lennon comes in and we look better. Width and cover

Agree with your thoughts.

I think his experiences with Algeria really helped him grow up FAST and this has been slightly underrated. He played for his country in the biggest stage - the world cuop - and did really well. And he played in a team which itself played good, intelligent, competitive football on the biggest stage. I think this experience has really helped him bring along his game.

It's clear Bentaeb has quality, technique, athleticism, intelligence... but what I love most is his mentality. He's a young guy but he doesn't give a **** about who he's playing, it doesn't faze him, he simply steps out onto the pitch with his head up and plays his game no matter what. Saw that on his debut against Soton, shortly after that there was the NLD we lost in the cup - but he was one of the best players on the pitch.

And now there was Cheatski in midweek too - he stepped up and simply put his game out there, up against top CMs, and was one of the best players on the park.

I think we can build a midfield around this guy in the years to come. Great news for THFC.

Last edited:
Agree with your thoughts.

I think his experiences with Algeria really helped him grow up FAST and this has been slightly underrated. He played for his country in the biggest stage - the world cuop - and did really well. And he played in a team which itself played good, intelligent, competitive football on the biggest stage. I think this experience has really helped him bring along his game.

It's clear Bentaeb has quality, technique, athleticism, intelligence... but what I love most is his mentality. He's a young guy but he doesn't give a **** about who he's playing, it doesn't faze him, he simply steps out onto the pitch with his head up and plays his game no matter what. Saw that on his debut against Soton, shortly after that there was the NLD we lost in the cup - but he was one of the best players on the pitch.

And now there was Cheatski in midweek too - he stepped up and simply put his game out there, up against top CMs, and was one of the best players on the park.

I think we can build a midfield around this guy in the years to come. Great news for THFC.

Agree fully. And a point about his World Cup participation is that it obviously cut his pre-season short along with the added stress and emotional impact that must have had on top of breaking into the Spurs first team so convincingly last season. Might all have contributed to his small dip in form earlier this season.

Now he's been through a small dip in form, and a period out injured, he's come back stronger and just looks ready to take on the world again.

Top class!

The improvement in his game compared to last season is unbelievable

The improvement in his game compared to last season is unbelievable

Not necessarily true - he displayed this level of performance in fits and starts last season. As a young player, consistency and confidence are developed - last year was a great experience and hopefully now he will have kicked on..... It has only been two games so he will probably have a dip soon enough which again we hope he learns from.

Not necessarily true - he displayed this level of performance in fits and starts last season. As a young player, consistency and confidence are developed - last year was a great experience and hopefully now he will have kicked on..... It has only been two games so he will probably have a dip soon enough which again we hope he learns from.

Maybe so, but in my opinion his best performances last season were no where as good as his 2 confident outings this season

Back