• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

I was more impressed with his reading of the game. It may be because Poch has given him a set of instructions to carry out, but he tracked runs and made good interceptions which last season he just wasn't doing often enough.

Might be Poch, might be him gaining experience, might be the rest of the team clicking more into place giving him better conditions to work under. Probably a combination of all I'm guessing. He's certainly improving nicely though and still doing the things he was doing so well last season.

Hope him and Mason are up for one more big effort this weekend and are then given the EL game off.

Slowly slowly we are beginning to learn our strongest XI. I think Bentaleb has just added his name to the list.

---------------Lloris---------------

Walker--Fazio---Vertonghen--xxxx

---------Bentaleb--xxxx------------

-xxxx--------xxxxxx--------Eriksen

-------------xxxxxx------------------

Possibly Chadli should get in that team too. All other positions are up for grabs

Fantastic performance again, really excited about this kid, that cm partnership of him and mason is the reason we've looked much better in the last two games I believe, our use of the ball is so much better now.

Slowly slowly we are beginning to learn our strongest XI. I think Bentaleb has just added his name to the list.

Possibly Chadli should get in that team too. All other positions are up for grabs

Personally, I think Vertonghen position is up for grabs, even with our poor CB position. He must be the most powder-puff CB we have now sadly..

Mason and Kane have two spots locked down too I think, for now at least. Obviously going to change with form etc.

Fantastic performance again, really excited about this kid, that cm partnership of him and mason is the reason we've looked much better in the last two games I believe, our use of the ball is so much better now.

Agreed. Really excited to see what that partnership can do up against somewhat inferior teams. They've done really well now up against Barry, Barkley, Besic, Matic, Fabregas, Oscar etc. On paper at least they'll be up against worse players in the coming weeks. Might not get a lot more time and space, but the way they've managed to find and create space against Everton and Chelsea could mean us seeing a real improvement in our form against worse teams too.

Fingers crossed at least...

I think its difficult not to add Mason to that, plus Kane and, given how Kane and Soldado seem to work together (in addition to the fact that you're better off having a CF rather than a midfielder in that 'no 10' role), you can add Solly to the team

Im curious as to how you can establish Bentaleb already to that team yet not Mason...

.................................. Triple threat steel cage death match

Lloris; Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Lennon, Mason, Bentaleb, Eriksen; Kane, Soldado

......................................................... vs

Vorm; Naughton, Kaboul, Chiriches, Rose; Capoue, Dembele; Townsend, Lamela, Chadli; Adebayor

......................................................... vs

Friedel; Yedlin, Dier, Veljkovic, Assou-Ekotto; Stambouli, Carroll; Holtby, Paulinho, Pritchard; Ceballos

Kane has to be in there.

I think Mason has done well although I'm not sure whether it was tiredness or something else last night, but I feel he looked slightly less quality than Nabil. Then he tired too. Use of the ball was slightly poorer and I thought Bentaleb was the more confident.

Im curious as to how you can establish Bentaleb already to that team yet not Mason...

I really like Mason. I just think Bentaleb is a no brainer for me. Mason has done incredibly well, yet I'd still be tempted to upgrade that position just because it is so pivotal. I want Mason to continue blossoming to potentially make it his own.

You know for now, you're right, he should be in there.

I disagree that Chadli should be in there.... I think his lack of work ethic completely disrupts Pochettino's gameplan.

I think Mason, Lennon and Kane make up the missing midfield spots.

There isn't another player in the squad currently who gives us what Mason does in terms of going box to box and being heavily involved in both an attacking and defensive sense. I wonder whether our rumoured interest in Rabiot from PSG is in acknowledgement that our gameplan is at risk if Mason is out?

Lennon gets in because he is the only player we have who can actually offer us width. We just look so much better as both an attacking and defensive unit with him on the right.

Kane plays number 10 as he is giving us workrate, creativity and a goal threat.

You could probably also pencil Soldado in as the centre forward (and credit to him for proving me wrong against Everton). I think we do need to upgrade that position but until we do that then he gets the nod for me as it looks like he has a good understanding with the three behind him.

I really like Mason. I just think Bentaleb is a no brainer for me. Mason has done incredibly well, yet I'd still be tempted to upgrade that position just because it is so pivotal. I want Mason to continue blossoming to potentially make it his own.

You know for now, you're right, he should be in there.

Fair enough, for positions we need to upgrade I would have thought his was nowhere near a priority assuming he continues to perform and develop as he has done so far. Understand your thinking though, I just think they should both be main stays in our team for years to come....

I disagree that Chadli should be in there.... I think his lack of work ethic completely disrupts Pochettino's gameplan.

I think Mason, Lennon and Kane make up the missing midfield spots.

There isn't another player in the squad currently who gives us what Mason does in terms of going box to box and being heavily involved in both an attacking and defensive sense. I wonder whether our rumoured interest in Rabiot from PSG is in acknowledgement that our gameplan is at risk if Mason is out?

Lennon gets in because he is the only player we have who can actually offer us width. We just look so much better as both an attacking and defensive unit with him on the right.

Kane plays number 10 as he is giving us workrate, creativity and a goal threat.

You could probably also pencil Soldado in as the centre forward (and credit to him for proving me wrong against Everton). I think we do need to upgrade that position but until we do that then he gets the nod for me as it looks like he has a good understanding with the three behind him.

I think the same is true for Bentaleb. Both Bentaleb and Mason are head on shoulders ahead of our other midfielders in terms of quick pass and move football (with the possible exception of Stambouli who still hasn't had a chance to prove himself). Either one being out would pose a problem right now. Same if either one has a drop in form (as Bentaleb had previously this season) or is need of a rest (like Mason arguably was against Chelsea and either might be in need of against Palace). There's definitely a need for more proper passers in central midfield that can carry some of the burden I think.

As for Chadli. I hope he responds in a similar fashion to Eriksen, Vertonghen and Rose. Realizing that he has to adjust and adapt to fit in under Poch and that the possible pay off could be great if he does.

I think the same is true for Bentaleb. Both Bentaleb and Mason are head on shoulders ahead of our other midfielders in terms of quick pass and move football (with the possible exception of Stambouli who still hasn't had a chance to prove himself). Either one being out would pose a problem right now. Same if either one has a drop in form (as Bentaleb had previously this season) or is need of a rest (like Mason arguably was against Chelsea and either might be in need of against Palace). There's definitely a need for more proper passers in central midfield that can carry some of the burden I think.

As for Chadli. I hope he responds in a similar fashion to Eriksen, Vertonghen and Rose. Realizing that he has to adjust and adapt to fit in under Poch and that the possible pay off could be great if he does.

Firstly, I really dont think Chadli's workrate is anywhere near as bad as what is emphasised on here. Regardless, looking at his performances this season he has stepped it up - definitely more so than Vertonghen who I wouldnt put in that bracket at all. Overall he was shocking last year, thats the only reason he has looked better this season - he is still nowhere near the level he was on his debut season.....

Firstly, I really dont think Chadli's workrate is anywhere near as bad as what is emphasised on here. Regardless, looking at his performances this season he has stepped it up - definitely more so than Vertonghen who I wouldnt put in that bracket at all. Overall he was shocking last year, thats the only reason he has looked better this season - he is still nowhere near the level he was on his debut season.....

I agree about Chadli. But I also think he has to step it up a level. As I think Eriksen has. I was more talking about the attitude change from Vertonghen that's seemingly happened as the season has progressed this season. Still perhaps not quite at the level of his first season, but that's probably a long discussion.

Thought Bentaleb was excellent yesterday one of the best players on the pitch Chelsea included. Him and Kane should be two of the first names on the team sheet.

Mata was player of the year but wouldn't work hard enough for Mourinho... Chadli is good but needs to up his workrate IMO. He had only been on for 3 minutes last night and he was smiling and walking back, he should be doing more work with fresh legs

I disagree with you there. When Chadli has played wide he constantly ignores the runs forward of the opposition fullbacks, I have lost count of the times that Rose had both the opposing wide player and fullback to deal with. Mason tries to get across to help but the opposition are still able to overload us by also bringing a central player out there.

I thought it was evident against Everton how much harder Eriksen worked to ensure that he always covered Coleman's runs (Lennon did the same with Baines). Mason then generally picked up Eto'o as he came across to try to help give his team a numerical advantage. This resulted in us looking much more solid defensively and Everton had to go backwards pretty much every time.

I have also seen several occasions where Chadli won't even run 5 or 6 yards to get goalside of a player, which has given them an easy platform to build attacks.

It is infuriating as Chadli is clearly a very good player, but without adding workrate I think he is impossible to pick if we want to see cohesive performances from Spurs. The only time I would want Chadli on the pitch is if we are playing against a team who really are parking the bus and refusing to push their fullbacks forward.

Bullet mentions Mata above and that is a great example. A player who is more talented than Chadli and yet still Mourinho knew that he wasn't worth accomodating as he makes it so much harder for the team to defend. I think Ozil also provides the same problem for Arsenal too.

Last edited:
Only one spot up for grabs really

OFFENSIVE TEAM

Walker--Fazio---Vertonghen--Either

---------Bentaleb--Mason------------

Lennon-------Kane--------Eriksen

DEFENSIVE TEAM

Walker--Fazio---Vertonghen--Either

---------Bentaleb--xxxxxx------------