• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Played Vertonghen into a bit of **** though

Good footballer and very talented , but I get the feeling he enjoys passing a nice ball rather than one that the receiving player can work with well.

It's something that good technical players can be caught up in, not worried that he will outgrow this in time with proper training / supervision.

My thoughts on him are that he needs to look to dominate games more... he has it in his locker but seems to be playing within himself in too many games I see.

I can see him developing into a sitter in the mould of Schneiderlin who gets around the pitch, provides a defensive shield, but also is able to dictate play with his passing and running. Depending on what happens in Jan, one idea could be to loan him to a PL side to get 90mins each week and come back next year looking to start.

Would love to see a midfield (perhaps in a cup) of Bentelab, Mason and Carroll - think that could be an excellent trio.

Good footballer and very talented , but I get the feeling he enjoys passing a nice ball rather than one that the receiving player can work with well.

It's something that good technical players can be caught up in, not worried that he will outgrow this in time with proper training / supervision.

What exactly do you mean by passing a nice ball rather than one that the receiving player can work with well?

To me Bentaleb, along with Mason, is one of our better players when it comes to playing passes that the receiving player can work with well. By that I mean that the pass is weighted correctly, usually played slightly ahead of the player and player quickly before opponents can close down space.

Not only good to see him back, but good to see him looking back in form too. He had a couple of horrible games before his injury.

It is important having another passer option in CM. We've been solely reliant on Mason with Bentaleb out.

My thoughts on him are that he needs to look to dominate games more... he has it in his locker but seems to be playing within himself in too many games I see.

I can see him developing into a sitter in the mould of Schneiderlin who gets around the pitch, provides a defensive shield, but also is able to dictate play with his passing and running. Depending on what happens in Jan, one idea could be to loan him to a PL side to get 90mins each week and come back next year looking to start.

Would love to see a midfield (perhaps in a cup) of Bentelab, Mason and Carroll - think that could be an excellent trio.

I think at most you could get away with two of them, alongside a bigger more physical DM.

Not only good to see him back, but good to see him looking back in form too. He had a couple of horrible games before his injury.

It is important having another passer option in CM. We've been solely reliant on Mason with Bentaleb out.

I think at most you could get away with two of them, alongside a bigger more physical DM.

Agree, especially with one of the other midfielders likely to be Eriksen/Lennon/Lamela, too lightweight all up.

What exactly do you mean by passing a nice ball rather than one that the receiving player can work with well?

To me Bentaleb, along with Mason, is one of our better players when it comes to playing passes that the receiving player can work with well. By that I mean that the pass is weighted correctly, usually played slightly ahead of the player and player quickly before opponents can close down space.

let me caveat this by saying that i think that bentaleb is young and has loads of talent. and my point is specifically comparing the him to mason.

to me bentaleb sometimes is too quick to pass the ball out to the nearest available player, which sometimes isn't the best decision if the receiving player can't do anything good with it e.g. gets in trouble running up a dead end with a player closing in fast. Bentaleb does a lot of this - and this partly explains his high pass completion %, so in this sense the stat is misleading becasue we don't get an advantage in play (and the other player chalks up a "lost ball" stat).

not all the time, just a tad too much imo.

what i like about mason is that i can always see him searching further than the next man, and makes an effort with one or two more touches to lure the opposition out in hope of catching them out slightly, and gaining the receiving player 1-2 seconds advantage to get away. i'm not talking in the final third, but also in the midfield.

not a big issue, and something that can be worked on as well as the player gains more playing time and grows in confidence. but at the moment becasue of this i don't think bentaleb is ready to start for us yet, and agree that a loan out to a bottom half epl team is the right way to go.

edit: thinking about this reminds me of how our players used to call Carrick the "washing machine" - that he could gather any pass and then put it onto the foot of the player all ready to go.

Last edited:
How good did the Masaleb combination look today.
Quick one touch passing and suddenly we have a tempo again.

Excellent today. As i said elsewhere, bring back Carroll and use those three as our core CMs and flog the 4 supposedly senior CMs

He's pretty modest too ;) He obviously searched his name on twitter after the game and retweeted the tweets praising him.

lquEDi3.jpg

Great to have him back starting and back in form! What a talent, what a player :)

Shown so much trust from Poch today and accepted all of the responsibility with composure and class.

I think today was the best game I think I have seen him play for Spurs.

I also think it is amazing that we have spent so much money on midfielders over the past 2 or 3 years and today we produce our best performance of the season so far with a central midfield duo that came from our youth team, funny that.

Yes he played well and definitely looks stronger than before. He has the ability to be as good as someone like say scheiderlin -v similar plAyer imo....... He can definitively anchor our midfield.

But I forgot he only plays because he Sherwood's love child and not because he is a really talented young player

Yes he played well and definitely looks stronger than before. He has the ability to be as good as someone like say scheiderlin -v similar plAyer imo....... He can definitively anchor our midfield.

But I forgot he only plays because he Sherwood's love child and not because he is a really talented young player

Definitely agree about him anchoring the midfield - a DM doesnt need to be a David batty type; Bentaleb will be more in the Carrick mould

Both him and Mason are excellent on the ball, young and naturally compliment each other. Add Kane in front of them and you have a great young, home-grown trio

A decent post ruined by some needless trolling. Come on, you are better than that.

Back