• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

I like Tom Carroll but he's never really done anything that excites me, just plays short safe passes in general - not saying what he does is to be scoffed at but don't see anything special about him. Bentaleb, I think he's got that bit more of an x factor about him and more of an arrogance I think you need to be a top player...

Carroll has shown the ability to play some very deft one touch passes into the box. If he was played further up the pitch I dare say we would see him get a few assists. For me Bentaleb is a different kind of player, he'll keep things ticking over at the back and won't be afraid to put his foot in.

I like Tom Carroll but he's never really done anything that excites me, just plays short safe passes in general - not saying what he does is to be scoffed at but don't see anything special about him. Bentaleb, I think he's got that bit more of an x factor about him and more of an arrogance I think you need to be a top player...
Carroll = poor man's Modric
Bentaleb = potential to become, if you like, rich man's Carrick.

Once again, I don't really get the comparisons with Carrick.

We really do have a habit of bigging up our youngsters far to early.

Agreed. Caulker was the next King.. and so was Archibald-Henville before that.

Archibald-Henville currently plays League One football and Caulker plays for the team rock bottom of the Premier League.

Agreed. Caulker was the next King.. and so was Archibald-Henville before that.

Archibald-Henville currently plays League One football and Caulker plays for the team rock bottom of the Premier League.

Yep. To be honest, unless a player is absolutely tearing things up at the age of 18 like say Rooney and Gerard, you can be fairly confident that they will turn out as average players. Obviously there may be some exceptions to this, but on the whole I'd say it's true.

That being said I still think both Bentelab and Carroll look promising, but Carroll needs to be pushing for a 1st team place next year or he will end up at hull or the likes for the rest of his career

He seems to know when to play the pass. I like his quick distribution. I can't stand laboured play, so wasn't happy during the AVB days, but players like Bentaleb help to suggest that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Making lots of passes doesn't automatically make you exciting to watch, it's just a common phrase that teams that knock it about are somehow superior to everyone else and play champagne football.

Remember Spain boring everyone to death in WC 2010 winning all the knockout games 1-0 for instance?

Once again, I don't really get the comparisons with Carrick.

Admittedly we haven't seen that much of him yet but for to me the similarity to Carrick in style is quite striking. Both sit centrally in front of the back four, both are excellent at picking up and shielding possession, both have that ability to calmly find an instant, intelligent, accurate one touch forward pass out of defence to someone in space that can set an attacking move on its way.

Where Bentaleb has - hopefully! - more potential than Carrick is in his ability to shoot from range.

I hesitate to draw comparison with the magnificent Scholes but there are even similarities with his style too. However, this IS a bit more of a stretch because of Scholes' dynamic long-range forward-passing, something we've yet to see too much of from Bentaleb, plus of course the United man's outstanding goal-scoring from range.

Probably!

Yep. To be honest, unless a player is absolutely tearing things up at the age of 18 like say Rooney and Gerard, you can be fairly confident that they will turn out as average players. Obviously there may be some exceptions to this, but on the whole I'd say it's true.

That being said I still think both Bentelab and Carroll look promising, but Carroll needs to be pushing for a 1st team place next year or he will end up at hull or the likes for the rest of his career

You must classify a lot of players as average then? If you're not a Rooney or Gerrard you're average?

Particularly at central midfield (and a couple of other positions) it's rare for players at top clubs to be tearing things up at 18. Look at Carrick's history, look at Paulinho, look at Modric. You could say these players are the exceptions, but I don't think so personally.

Making lots of passes doesn't automatically make you exciting to watch, it's just a common phrase that teams that knock it about are somehow superior to everyone else and play champagne football.

Remember Spain boring everyone to death in WC 2010 winning all the knockout games 1-0 for instance?

Who has said that it does?

Let's put it another way, who are the exciting to watch teams that don't have players capable of quick tempo accurate passing?

Bentaleb seems to have that ability, and he doesn't just pass it safe and sideways. So far he's made us more exciting to watch.

Admittedly we haven't seen that much of him yet but for to me the similarity to Carrick in style is quite striking. Both sit centrally in front of the back four, both are excellent at picking up and shielding possession, both have that ability to calmly find an instant, intelligent, accurate one touch forward pass out of defence to someone in space that can set an attacking move on its way.

Where Bentaleb has - hopefully! - more potential than Carrick is in his ability to shoot from range.

I hesitate to draw comparison with the magnificent Scholes but there are even similarities with his style too. However, this IS a bit more of a stretch because of Scholes' dynamic long-range forward-passing, something we've yet to see too much of from Bentaleb, plus of course the United man's outstanding goal-scoring from range.

Probably!

I agree, some clear comparisons with Carrick, although Bentaleb is still so young and has only had a handful of first team appearances so it's not really fair to pigeonhole him as a player type quite yet. Right now his best role seems to be a role similar to that of Carrick and I agree about the similarities, if he can be even more effective in the final third that would obviously be a massive plus.

Where he's clearly inferior to Carrick right now is in his defensive work. Carrick was and is excellent defensively and Bentaleb still has a lot of learning to do. As should be expected from a 19 year old. Carrick was 23 when we signed him from West Ham, I imagine Bentaleb will improve a tad in the next 4 years...

I mean....really....just...i dont know ...

sigh

i'm fresh out of superlatives...seriously. completely lost for words

Bentaleb's first touch, composure and ability to pick out a pass quickly is probably the best in the squad.

Bentaleb's first touch, composure and ability to pick out a pass quickly is probably the best in the squad.

Yes. With along with Eriksen.

How is it we have a team of such poor passers, that a 19 and 21 year old are the best passers of the ball?

Last edited:

He's excellent at those things you've mentioned.

First half he was rather poor when we weren't in possession of the ball, but 2nd half he was excellent. He'll be an excellent player when he sorts out his positioning and movement when we're not in possession of the ball.

this.

honestly, i used to think Raziel shared our line of thinking about what we value in mids...but the above didnt phase him one bit when bentaleb was first introduced. he pretty much did the same thing.

sorry about capoue, i think he is a really good player and the best sandro deputy we could hope for but i do not want to stunt bentaleb's growth right now

Back