• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

Re: Official Nabil Bentaleb Thread

It's unfortunate but I think we need Ade's physical presence. So long as the players around him are making the right runs then chances will be created

it shows he's in good company and a very rare specialty / ability.

i thought thats what they were trying to show with the stats personally

See his post in relation to my post that he quoted and I think some of your questions are answered. And another question is asked.

I don't think Steve is trying to prove something with those stats, look at the complete absence of conclusions in his post. It's used to illustrate a point, in this case further illustrate the point I made.

This and this.

The last player to average more than 60 accurate passes per game for Spurs was Modric and, whilst Bentaleb is certainly nowhere near that level yet, for a 19 year old to have the talent and confidence to post those sort of figures in his first 4 Premier League games is a very promising start to his career.

So are we saying that right now, in a 4-4-2 when we are playing one if the top teams (say top 7) and there is a straight choice between playing Bentaleb or Capoue, we should play Bentaleb?

The United game already showed which one we should pick.
Capoue was truly awful in that game.Worst passing performance from a spurs central midfielder since Zokora. He completed 17 passes and misplaced 14! Then Bentalab came on and only give the ball away once. Capoue hasn't played since.
Everyone thinks you need a proper tackler in midfield to win the ball back. But what was the point in Capoue's 2 interceptions in that game when 45% of his passes went to United.

Last edited:

People take stats far to literally. There is more to the game than just passing and tackling. Just marking someone out of 1 phase of play could benefit the team, the same as putting pressure on a player and making them either give the ball away or force them to pass backwards and start again.

I will wait until the end of the season, once he has had a run of games before jumping on the bandwagon.

The United game already showed which one we should pick.
Capoue was truly awful in that game.Worst passing performance from a spurs central midfielder since Zokora. He completed 17 passes and misplaced 14! Then Bentalab came on and only give the ball away once. Capoue hasn't played since.
Everyone thinks you need a proper tackler in midfield to win the ball back. But what was the point in Capoue's 2 interceptions in that game when 45% of his passes went to United.

Against Arsenal away, in the League, I thought his passing was off, people on here had a go as they thought it was better than I said. I think his passing is woeful and actually that is the reason why Timmy doesnt rate him too highly (assumption obviously).

Tim talks a great deal about keeping hold of the ball which would lead one to believe that he wants players who can pass and hold onto the ball. Dembele holds on the ball pretty ****in well, and Bentaleb is a better passer thaqn Capoue.

So are we saying that right now, in a 4-4-2 when we are playing one if the top teams (say top 7) and there is a straight choice between playing Bentaleb or Capoue, we should play Bentaleb?

No one has said that yet at least. Although Sherwood did kinda say that to some extent by starting Bentaleb ahead of Capoue against Arsenal.

To me it depends on the opposition, massive difference between City and Liverpool for example.

People take stats far to literally. There is more to the game than just passing and tackling. Just marking someone out of 1 phase of play could benefit the team, the same as putting pressure on a player and making them either give the ball away or force them to pass backwards and start again.

Who is doing that in this thread?

Who is saying that there's no more to the game than passing and tackling?

Will be interesting to see who Sherwood picks when Sandro is back, which should be the case against Man C, and even more interesting when Paulinho is back. Think we have to go 4-3-3 then

Against Arsenal away, in the League, I thought his passing was off, people on here had a go as they thought it was better than I said. I think his passing is woeful and actually that is the reason why Timmy doesnt rate him too highly (assumption obviously).

Tim talks a great deal about keeping hold of the ball which would lead one to believe that he wants players who can pass and hold onto the ball. Dembele holds That Arsenal midfield was really better than ours and we struggled to maintain any possession, but it was Capoue who helped steady the ship. I saw him lose possession only because he tried to reach the strikers quickly... didn't remember him losing any to a sideways pass or being dispossessed. I still think he's better tha Bentaleb but hey - let that be Deschamp's headache for the French Football team.

And just to underline my I don't mean that Bentaleb is no good, in fact i am impressed with his maturity and his strength for his age. But at the moment I find Capoue having the extra edge in experience and decision making.

If the press is to be believed (and there this sentence should stop) certain spurs players have 'attitude' problems according to TS, apparently Capoue is one of them so expect to see Bentaleb picked ahead of him every time.

I think we will see Capoue moved on this winter given the number of CMs at the club and it being a world cup year. just hope that is not a mistake on our part as if a new manager comes in in the summer (and that is a big if) he might want someone of Capoue's ability in the team, particularly given the injury record of Dembele and Sandro.

I like Capoue i think he has more to his game than people think. But I am also all for giving our young players a chance. I cant helpe thinking that we wasted all that money. We could have bought 2 special players and had some youth to cover other positions. I would love for Carroll, Bentaleb, Fredericks and Pritchard to become regulars in the side over the coming years. ITs been a long time since we produced King and Barmby.

Im very impressed with Bentalebs composure on the ball, his willingness to receive it in any position and also that he has a little grit in his play. He looks very talented and for someone who has only had 2 starts I would say he show a hell of a lot of promise. These players need to get a run in the side. Le scum have shown you can introduce young players into your side and not detract from performances.

A lot of people are basing their judgments on Capoue on his center back performances.

I will wait until the end of the season, once he has had a run of games before jumping on the bandwagon.

IT seems like there are two main bandwagons jumped on - the 'he's ****/not fit to wear the shirt' and the 'he's the most amazing player ever'. I propose a third bandwagon comprised of 'he's in need of time to settle/he's showing a lot of early potential let's see how he develops'. Who's jumping on that one with me?

Anyone?

Guys?????

I'm so lonely here.

A lot of people are basing their judgments on Capoue on his center back performances.

I think that's a valid opinion. It also coincided with our poor form.

On his debut he had the pass in his head before he got the ball. This is actually what impressed me about him (I'd never seen him before).

IT seems like there are two main bandwagons jumped on - the 'he's ****/not fit to wear the shirt' and the 'he's the most amazing player ever'. I propose a third bandwagon comprised of 'he's in need of time to settle/he's showing a lot of early potential let's see how he develops'. Who's jumping on that one with me?

Anyone?

Guys?????

I'm so lonely here.

ill jump on your sensible leaking ship.

Back