• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

So far he has not been enough of a goal threat altogether. He could be a rich mans Hudd. He is sort of in between an attacking midfielder and a DM. IMO he should be a deep lying defensive one, who should mostly play simple passes. He is good at getting out of tight congested areas with quick feat , he is big and strong, but so far , his passing and shooting have been poor.

those attributes make him ideal to be the fox in the box - he's so close to goal that accuracy wouldn't matter as much as getting the ball past the first player. strong enough to buy time for a layoff to an AM?

This is a very interesting point, that Dembele's form has become a tad erratic since Sandro got hurt. Makes sense. Perhaps he still needs a few more games with Scotty...

Dembele isnt doing much differently to what he was doing beside Sandro however what Dembele does need to do is improve his shooting. He has such a brick shot - theyre always skewed and more of a threat to the corner flag than to the goal.

Im not sure Dembele is playing much differently. He is still as solid as ever defensively. Is Everton the only game we have lost with him starting in the premier league? Remembering when he went off we were winning 1-0!

Am I the only one that has been dissapointed with Dembele ?
Don't get me wrong , I was happy when we signed him , and I think he started his Spurs career excellent . But the last couple of months I think he has been average ! Never a standout perfomance from him anymore , and NEVER any killer passes . I know he isn't Modric , but he never splits defences with his passes , and that is something you have to be able to do if you are the only central midfielder in the team .
I am not only talking about assists , but a ball that opens our attack , the unexpected pass and a killer vision .
I also really think he should score a lot more , I thought he had some goalscoring ability in him , he clearly doesn't !

A lot of negative remarks from me now :p , but don't get me wrong , I see his calmness , his defensive work and when he is in form he just strolls past players (a bit like Yaya Toure) , but he hasn't showed it for a long time now .

I know there is a footballer in him , and a good one , but I am not sure he suits running the CM alone (Sandro/Parker behind , Dempsey in front of him) .
I would take Modric back in a heartbeat to be perfectly honest ,Dembele is not in the same league as Modric.
I hope Holtby becomes a major hit in a Spurs shirt , and that he can take some of the offensive duty's off Dembele's shoulders ( I don't rate Dempsey) , and then maybe he would work better in the Spurs setup .

I still have faith in him , but I have to say I expected more ....

Am I the only one that has been dissapointed with Dembele ?
Don't get me wrong , I was happy when we signed him , and I think he started his Spurs career excellent . But the last couple of months I think he has been average ! Never a standout perfomance from him anymore , and NEVER any killer passes . I know he isn't Modric , but he never splits defences with his passes , and that is something you have to be able to do if you are the only central midfielder in the team .
I am not only talking about assists , but a ball that opens our attack , the unexpected pass and a killer vision .
I also really think he should score a lot more , I thought he had some goalscoring ability in him , he clearly doesn't !

A lot of negative remarks from me now :p , but don't get me wrong , I see his calmness , his defensive work and when he is in form he just strolls past players (a bit like Yaya Toure) , but he hasn't showed it for a long time now .

I know there is a footballer in him , and a good one , but I am not sure he suits running the CM alone (Sandro/Parker behind , Dempsey in front of him) .
I would take Modric back in a heartbeat to be perfectly honest ,Dembele is not in the same league as Modric.
I hope Holtby becomes a major hit in a Spurs shirt , and that he can take some of the offensive duty's off Dembele's shoulders ( I don't rate Dempsey) , and then maybe he would work better in the Spurs setup .

I still have faith in him , but I have to say I expected more ....

Against Lyon, he made a glorious slide-rule pass that put Ade clean through, only for him to horribly scuff the chance. The fact that no one but Bale is currently capable of hitting the ball in the general direction of the net shouldn't overshadow Dembele's (and Parker's) attempts to make said hitting-the-net happen.

Im not sure Dembele is playing much differently. He is still as solid as ever defensively. Is Everton the only game we have lost with him starting in the premier league? Remembering when he went off we were winning 1-0!

Yes...

P0176_zps392af5fd.png

...the only other game Spurs have lost when Dembele played was when he came-on as a sub in the FA Cup defeat at Leeds United.

The way he controls the ball almost under his body, shifts direction to beat a man has always been class.

Finding his shooting boots to smash that one into the far corner against Lyon made me feel more optimistic about our run in. He needs to be shooting more often seeing as he's better than Modric at this aspect of the game. Two goals a season is simply not enough for a guy of his ability.

The Moose, shall set you free.

Hopefully the goal will do him good. Hasn't been able to reach the heights he did earlier in the season. I wanted him rested in at least one of the Lyon games hoping that a breather could help him return to his best, but maybe a goal can do the trick.

We need him to take charge of the midfield again and start making more and quicker passes.

Some of you guys talk serious nonsense.

That goal saved his bacon last night, Parker gets utter brick on here for giving the ball away and being slow on the ball, well last night Dembele was far worse than Parker at both imo, we need to find a way that they can both play together but in my eyes its begining to look as if it should be one or the other partnering someone else, Holtby is not the answer just yet he fades badly in games, never mind last 16 and 4th in the prem we cant be doing too bad.

I just don't see what some of you see. I'm not stupid I can read a game and can see how players play, however.... I know when people talk brick, in other words, totally unjustified slating of a player just because they misplaced a pass, or they don't do what fans want players to do. Soon as one trumpet player shouts about a player the rest of the band join in, its like a pied piper scenario and spreads like a plague. Look at the match day thread, you'll get what I mean, and that's the reason I stay away and never join in on the OMT threads. It's full of numpties that know fudge all and then it spills out on to the player threads.

For a playmaker / central mid - I'd like to see more incisive passes towards the goal/opposition box as opposed to countless dribble runs and side-ways 'Parker-style' lay offs. He needs to improve that aspect of his game, imv - the final ball through the defence, etc. - other than that - great player all-round.

There was a classic example yesterday where he had the opportunity to release Bale early (first half) but chose to driblle instead and lost it

I would love us to win this comp, great for our youngish players and it would raise our profile in Europe massively.

I just don't see what some of you see. I'm not stupid I can read a game and can see how players play, however.... I know when people talk brick, in other words, totally unjustified slating of a player just because they misplaced a pass, or they don't do what fans want players to do. Soon as one trumpet player shouts about a player the rest of the band join in, its like a pied piper scenario and spreads like a plague. Look at the match day thread, you'll get what I mean, and that's the reason I stay away and never join in on the OMT threads. It's full of numpties that know fudge all and then it spills out on to the player threads.

He consistently misplaced passes yesterday. Not just a single pass.

As previously stated the OMT is knee jerk. It's for instant response to the match, you can see how different it is when you compare what posters say in it compared to what they say over the rest of the site. Don't take what people post in the heat of the moment as their definitive overriding opinion. Would be stupid to do so.

Edit: Also 'As soon as one trumpet player shouts about a player the rest of the band join in', So what are we supposed to do if someone is actually playing badly? There is always going to be a first person to state them, but i guess everyone after that must be copying them, we're not allowed to have formed our own opinions?

Last edited:
I saw Messi try and beat a Milan player the other night. He lost the ball, there was a pass on instead which would have been easier.

Back