• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

But his passing has been sloppy and he didn't ghost past people today like he normally does.

Because he had no pass on probably, Sandro was usually available. If Parker is further than him, he has no sideways pass to him (like Sandro), so he has to try something else. Dembele doesnt strike me as someone to recycle the ball, but move it sides or forward.

I hope AVB gets a chance to rest him soon. He needs it. This is the thick part of the season in terms of slogging through important games and picking up points. The last two wins have been very very encouraging because we are absolutely a little 'off' and a little injured in key areas of the pitch...IF we can rest him a bit, he will find his way again. It's a DIFFERENT midfield for sure without The Beast, but I thought both he and Parker hung in really well today despite not being at their best. Our effort off the ball today was bordering on excellent, and Dembele did throw his body around and get physical...

Europa League hopefully. Put Holtby there in the middle. Have we won without Dembele on the pitch? Lost to Arsenal, Lost to Chelsea, Lost to Leeds, Lost to Everton when he come off etc.

He hasn't looked quite as good recently tbh but I imagine that is in part because of the amount of games in the recent period overall as well as losing Sandro and having to get used to Parker. Still a class act and even when he isn't playing great he still generally manages to retain possession without just sending a ball back where it has come from which is no easy thing.

avPjbvx.jpg

This was posted by Rossi in the ratung thread (Dembele is the one at the bottom) IMHO it shows the problem with Moussa. The guy does't pass enough and even when he does he rarely passess forward. Even his two key passes in the game were backwards.

He is slowing us up and breaks our momentum time and time again. No wonder players are ot passing it to him when breaking out from defence.

Last edited:
I'm also a bit surprised that he and Dempsey don't seem to have much chemistry or communication together. I was excited that the two of them coming from Fulham together might be a good pairing, the way our Croatians had a certain synergy. But I can't see it.

Very few players will go out and dominate matches week out week in throughout a season. If games like the one today against Saudi Sportswashing Machine is what we get from Dembele when he's not having a good day I'm very happy with that. Doesn't go missing, does his job defensively very well and willing to get stuck in. Rarely gives the ball away and always capable of showing up with something a bit special.

Maltese Falcon;308045 This was posted by Rossi in the ratung thread (Dembele is the one at the bottom) IMHO it shows the problem with Moussa. The guy does't pass enough and even when he does he rarely passess forward. Even his two key passes in the game were backwards. He is slowing us up and breaks our momentum time and time again. [B said:
No wonder players are ot passing it to him [/B]when breaking out from defence.

If that was true how would Parker ever end up with the ball?

Dembele has shown real quality when we've attacked on the break this season actually. He's quick, can glide past players and can play a pass.

He can glide past players, the problem is that that is nearly all he does - dribble dribble dribble, then hesitate, then pass. Like Parker, he needs to first-time pass it so much more quickly and incisively. The extra touches are really smothering our counterattacking opportunities, especially in comparison to an intelligent passer like Modric or even Cabaye, and I think his drop in performance at least partly comes from teams reading him better now and simply "pinching" the ball off him as he inevitably tries to dribble forward.

I am not sure if this is an issue of personal playing style, or technique, or vision. From what I have heard from Fulham fans, they too believed that his biggest problem is his tendency to take too many touches and release the ball too slowly. (Then again, I think all of our players have issues when it comes to one-touch passing, even relative to some midtable team, and I have no idea why this is. Players lacking in passing technique like Dempsey and Walker really don't help, admittedly.)

I'd like to see Dembele work on this in training, replacing him with Holtby in that deep position for now; I really think Dembele is either tired or carrying a minor injury so a rest on the sidelines will do him some good anyways. Holtby strikes me as more of a Modric than a VdV, at least partly since his goalscoring record's never been that great, but also because he is perhaps the only midfielder of ours atm who prefers to "knit" the play with quick, progressive passing than to dribble; he isn't anywhere near Dembele's defending atm but he isn't a bad heel-snapper either.

Like I've said before, I don't think Dembele is a bad player, just that his weaknesses are really exposed in a team that is already lacking in one-touch football. His defensive qualities have been really important in freeing up the likes of Bale and protecting our defensively fragile fullbacks, and it's really our defense that is carrying us this season. However, we consistently have issues carving out clear chances in open play this season, and as a crucial midfielder he is a part of the problem too.

He can glide past players, the problem is that that is nearly all he does - dribble dribble dribble, then hesitate, then pass. Like Parker, he needs to first-time pass it so much more quickly and incisively. The extra touches are really smothering our counterattacking opportunities, especially in comparison to an intelligent passer like Modric or even Cabaye, and I think his drop in performance at least partly comes from teams reading him better now and simply "pinching" the ball off him as he inevitably tries to dribble forward.

I am not sure if this is an issue of personal playing style, or technique, or vision. From what I have heard from Fulham fans, they too believed that his biggest problem is his tendency to take too many touches and release the ball too slowly. (Then again, I think all of our players have issues when it comes to one-touch passing, even relative to some midtable team, and I have no idea why this is. Players lacking in passing technique like Dempsey and Walker really don't help, admittedly.)

I'd like to see Dembele work on this in training, replacing him with Holtby in that deep position for now; I really think Dembele is either tired or carrying a minor injury so a rest on the sidelines will do him some good anyways. Holtby strikes me as more of a Modric than a VdV, at least partly since his goalscoring record's never been that great, but also because he is perhaps the only midfielder of ours atm who prefers to "knit" the play with quick, progressive passing than to dribble; he isn't anywhere near Dembele's defending atm but he isn't a bad heel-snapper either.

Like I've said before, I don't think Dembele is a bad player, just that his weaknesses are really exposed in a team that is already lacking in one-touch football. His defensive qualities have been really important in freeing up the likes of Bale and protecting our defensively fragile fullbacks, and it's really our defense that is carrying us this season. However, we consistently have issues carving out clear chances in open play this season, and as a crucial midfielder he is a part of the problem too.

I actually think Moussa is a fantastic defensive midfielder. His dribbling skills are a massive added bonus in my eyes. I agree we certainly lack that one touch pass and move player since Modric, VDV, until Holtby. Now he has brought that element back to us, but what Moussa has given us is that ability to ghost past a couple of players in midfield opening up spaces ahead of him. He does certainly lack that killer pass but that ability to brush past players gives us a whole new dynamic and opens up many opportunities.

Remember watching him do it against United when he left Scholes for dead, and set up Gareth for his goal.

don't underestimate the impact a dribbler has on the pitch. my view is that AVB's instructions to dembele is to hold the ball and tempt opposing players out of position. he keeps them on the back heel guessing while we reorganize

don't underestimate the impact a dribbler has on the pitch. my view is that AVB's instructions to dembele is to hold the ball and tempt opposing players out of position. he keeps them on the back heel guessing while we reorganize

This. I also think whilst we have lost the one-touch passing and vision of Modric/VDV, the end of season slumps in the last two seasons would have had less chance of materialising of we had the dribbling skills that Moussa has at our disposal

I think Dembele could use a bit of a rest. Would like to see him rested (start from the bench) in at least one of the Lyon matches, if not both. He had his injury that was reported as a recurring one earlier in the season and it seems to me that he's been playing a lot this season, almost every game he's been fit he's started and finished I think, although I don't have any stats to back that up.

I think the problem with him is that he doesn't get involved enough, I want him constantly looking for the ball when we're in our buildup stage. I seem to remember that there were games earlier in the season where he had 60-70+ passes, I even think that's on the low side compared to where he should be aiming. I think a slight breather might allow him to come back with more energy and allow him to be more involved.

With us out of the FA-cup we could give him two weeks without a start now if we start him on the bench in both the Lyon games.

I think Dembele could use a bit of a rest. Would like to see him rested (start from the bench) in at least one of the Lyon matches, if not both. He had his injury that was reported as a recurring one earlier in the season and it seems to me that he's been playing a lot this season, almost every game he's been fit he's started and finished I think, although I don't have any stats to back that up.

I think the problem with him is that he doesn't get involved enough, I want him constantly looking for the ball when we're in our buildup stage. I seem to remember that there were games earlier in the season where he had 60-70+ passes, I even think that's on the low side compared to where he should be aiming. I think a slight breather might allow him to come back with more energy and allow him to be more involved.

With us out of the FA-cup we could give him two weeks without a start now if we start him on the bench in both the Lyon games.

I think as was the case with Modric last season , Parker looks to do too much with the ball. With Sandro and Dembele, they share a lot of responsibilities. But we are constantly seeing Parker as the furthest man forward with Dembele in behind. For me it should be the opposite.

I think as was the case with Modric last season , Parker looks to do too much with the ball. With Sandro and Dembele, they share a lot of responsibilities. But we are constantly seeing Parker as the furthest man forward with Dembele in behind. For me it should be the opposite.

Agreed

Agree with this. imo the europa games arent as important and anyway we should (hopefully) have enough to win without him. I would also like to rest Lennon and Bale for Sig and Holtby (as we dont have any direct replacements!!!!!!)

what do you guys think about playing dembele upfront?

the way we press high and for long periods, his close control and passing players could be put to really good use. might win us a few penalties too.

holtby can take his place in midfield alongside parker.

I think he is not enough of a goalthreat to play up front. And we might miss his physical presence in the middle of the park.

I think he is not enough of a goalthreat to play up front. And we might miss his physical presence in the middle of the park.

So far he has not been enough of a goal threat altogether. He could be a rich mans Hudd. He is sort of in between an attacking midfielder and a DM. IMO he should be a deep lying defensive one, who should mostly play simple passes. He is good at getting out of tight congested areas with quick feat , he is big and strong, but so far , his passing and shooting have been poor.

Absolutely this. I believe dembeles hesitance to make a really incisive, ballsy pass is knowing in the back of his mind that he doesn't have the security wall of Sandro backing him up, should his pass go astray. Parkers positioning is far too erratic at times.

Absolutely this. I believe dembeles hesitance to make a really incisive, ballsy pass is knowing in the back of his mind that he doesn't have the security wall of Sandro backing him up, should his pass go astray. Parkers positioning is far too erratic at times.

This is a very interesting point, that Dembele's form has become a tad erratic since Sandro got hurt. Makes sense. Perhaps he still needs a few more games with Scotty...

Back