• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

^^^^
Firstly, there is the passing. This was always going to be an important part of Dembele's role given Modric's brilliance in this area - the Croatian was regarded as the master of the assist

](*,)

his performance in our 1-1 draw at home with Yanited

edit: source - http://blog.squawka.com/2013/01/21/snow-joke-spurs-player-ratings-v-manchester-united/

lFe8rEr.png

Half the cost of Luka Modric but in the big games twice the player? Controversial.

91% pass accuracy, including 4 chances created, 2 out of 2 tackles, 3 out of 3 successful dribbles, 4 out of 5 headers won suggests not.

When he’s on the pitch, Spurs don’t lose.

Last edited:
his performance in our 1-1 draw at home with Yanited

edit: source - http://blog.squawka.com/2013/01/21/snow-joke-spurs-player-ratings-v-manchester-united/

lFe8rEr.png

Half the cost of Luka Modric but in the big games twice the player? Controversial.

91% pass accuracy, including 4 chances created, 2 out of 2 tackles, 3 out of 3 successful dribbles, 4 out of 5 headers won suggests not.

When he’s on the pitch, Spurs don’t lose.

I have to say that after wanting him specifically to fill the Modric void, I'm still not totally sure how I feel about him. I think he's a very solid player, as those stats tell - he's good at keeping possession and he's pretty good defensively. I just wish I could see him have more of an impact on the game... given that he is supposed to be our more creative CM (in comparison to Sandro and Parker) his passing seems very safe, and he doesn't seem to always look for and demand the ball in the same way that top players of that kind seem too...

Still, I do like him, and I do think his ability to dribble past players from central midfield is an important creative force in and of itself.

I thought he was excellent against United and was surprised quite a few didn't think so in the match ratings and OMT.

He was superb in that second half. Absolute monster. United must be sick of the site of him. The way he waltzed in to the box to set up Dempsey is what is so unique about him, and I just dont get why we dont see it more often.

Welcome to a new feature where we'll take a selection of views from our fans' debate, conversation and opinion on our social media platforms - @SpursOfficial on Twitter and Facebook - and run them here on tottenhamhotspur.com.

We asked fans on our official fan page on Facebook earlier this week for their favourite Mousa Dembele moments so far this season.
Here’s what they had to say...
Stewart Allan: “Every time he gets the ball is a highlight in the game. He glides over the pitch and bosses the midfield.”
Gary Blake: “His constant determination, he never gives up. Reminds me of Steffen Freund.”
Russell Palmer: “Strength, commitment and composure.”
Mike Hammer: “Perfect attitude. Calm, composed and confident.”
Michael Andersson: “Has Dembele ever lost the ball? Ridiculously good at dropping the shoulder and keeping the ball.”
Fionn Hayes: “That bit of play on Sunday where he dribbled through a few United players and picked out a perfect pass for Dempsey. Absolute class.”
Shaun Gareth Slater: “Dembele showed what he can do when he got to edge of box to set up Dempsey, walked past three players!”
Pape Dethie: “His game at Old Trafford for a final 2-3 victory for Spurs. It was great!”
Albin Lexfors: “All of them! The way he dribbles with power and class! He's my kind of player.”

Love dembele but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. IMO his best position is in a midfield 3 where he gets to drive forward with the ball, with a sitting DM and a deep lying playmaker. He just seems so effortless when dribbling with the ball. Mind you needs to work on his shooting from distance!

Love dembele but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. IMO his best position is in a midfield 3 where he gets to drive forward with the ball, with a sitting DM and a deep lying playmaker. He just seems so effortless when dribbling with the ball. Mind you needs to work on his shooting from distance!

so he would be the one at the tip? the main creative outlet in the central area of the final third?

not for me personally.

so he would be the one at the tip? the main creative outlet in the central area of the final third?

not for me personally.

the main creative outlet would be the play maker, no?

edit: sorry missed 'final third'

Last edited:
Sorry not sure ive made myself very clear, i see moussa as the tip driving forward as much as possible. His run vs united showed what he could do when he gets driving forward. I do think he lacks a bit of creativity to be considered the main creator in the team, but think he would be even more awesome alongside a moutinho and sandro cm. we can but dream.

I prefer a DM/CM/AM combo. I think of Dembele as a CM so I'd rather see someone ahead of him. I think a Sandro/Moutinho/Dembele combo could only work if the front three had a lot more goals in them(which means replacing Lennon and Defoe/Ade). But we're not signing Moutinho so there's no need for that.

I'd go with a DM, DLP and a B2B, see Dembele as the B2B really.

Gets the ball and runs with it, but also does his fair shift defensively. Possibly the deep playmaker should be further forward a little..

I think Dembele's passing isn't fast and incisive/visionary enough to be a deep-lying playmaker - he's more box to box, providing the powerful runs and dribbles from midfield to penetrate and draw in players to create space for others. That means the AM (Holtby) has to be extremely creative to compensate, though the good thing is that Holtby can be very risk-taking imo with his passing thanks to Dembele's and Sandro/Parker's superb defensive abilities.

The worry is that Holtby's lack of goalscoring means that the striker position becomes more important than ever, or we are relying on Bale's long-distance shooting for goals (and/or Dempsey converting himself into a box striker)...

The pure AM (/no. 10) role is one where you get judged on goals and assists to a fairly large extent. Based on what he did at Fulham I don't think he would be outstanding as an AM for us. He was moved into a central midfield position for Fulham for this very reason.

In central midfield I think he is outstanding. Proper two way player, can do a lot both going forward and defensively. Him and Sandro must have been among the most solid central midfield partnership in the league, while he also offers something real special going forward. Those players are really hard to find.

I think both Dempsey and possibly Sig would offer as much as Dembele (if not more) in an AM role when it comes to goals and assists, and I don't think it would be that hard to find someone who could offer as much when it comes to creativity either. Finding someone who offers what Dembele offers in the centre of midfield though, that would be difficult.

I'm getting a bit worried about Dembele. He's playing that well that I'm thinking the 'aristocrats' will be sniffing around shortly. We have him for another season me thinks but after that it depends on how we progress.

I know Dembele hasn't done well as a striker because he doesn't have an accurate shot on him, but what about putting his dribbling skills to good use up there? The ideal situation would be when the other team has parked the bus rendering our speedy wingers and shoot on sight Defoe ineffective. dembele as the furthest forward would be the most dangerous in close quarters - a feint and a turn, he'd just have to pass it in to goal Messi style. Otherwise he'd easily earn us a few penalties in dangerous positions.

Of course that means backfilling his role, and that's going to be tough with Sandro out, but that's another discussion !

Dembele always impressed me whenever I saw Fulham but I was worried that he might be a case of a big fish in a small pond.

I've been delighted to have been proved wrong, as he obviously is a top class player who can perform equally well with a bigger club.

Back