• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Re: Could Dembele be our No.10?

Well werent the bunch of levys on here happy to get 5m for him? haha my arse.

You know what mate, I concentrated on the words I highlighted without taking in everything else you'd written and so took your words out of context, my mistake, apologies.

This Parker vs Sandro thing will always split the fans, whilst I can respect what Parker brings, Sandro is a much better athelete and his distribution is improving. Hes the present and future of our CDM.

Parker, at 32 can be gracious enough to step aside/nurture Sandro to become a better player.

Unfortunately we dont have a Dembele Parker partnership to compare to the Dembele Sandro one.

I think all 3 could play in a tough away game. I trust AVB to know when this would work.

Would agree with most of that, not sure about the last bit though as i feel that Sandro and Parker together would be to defensive and offers no creativity

Parker for me all day. More intelligent, more industrious,and much, much better distribution.

Parker's passing is only better because he plays the short 5 yard ball to the CBs therefore slowing down our play. He doesn't really bring it forward. Sandro is also a better tackler and is more athletic. Nowadays CM's are getting bigger and stronger, I would rather have Sandro boss them with his physicality than Parker with his terrier like determination.

I am a bit disappointed about Dembele's form for us so far. When he scored that brilliant goal his first match for us, thought he will become a prolific goal scorer for us. But he has not come close to score since then. Wish he will score more goals.

Parker's passing is only better because he plays the short 5 yard ball to the CBs therefore slowing down our play. He doesn't really bring it forward. Sandro is also a better tackler and is more athletic. Nowadays CM's are getting bigger and stronger, I would rather have Sandro boss them with his physicality than Parker with his terrier like determination.

Sorry but you highlight his less than industrious passing as an issue. It is not. Parker retains possession - if the opposition do not have the ball they cannot hurt us. Parker is great at what he does - he wins the ball and lays it off to the creative players. Sandro whilst more adventurous in his passing does give it away a fair bit.

They are both defensive midfielders but one keeps it simple and brings calmness to our defense and overall play whilst the other is the opposite. There is definitely a place for both but for away games I would put Parker and for home the obvious choice is Sandro.

Sorry but you highlight his less than industrious passing as an issue. It is not. Parker retains possession - if the opposition do not have the ball they cannot hurt us. Parker is great at what he does - he wins the ball and lays it off to the creative players. Sandro whilst more adventurous in his passing does give it away a fair bit.

They are both defensive midfielders but one keeps it simple and brings calmness to our defense and overall play whilst the other is the opposite. There is definitely a place for both but for away games I would put Parker and for home the obvious choice is Sandro.

Very well put. Also, Parker does not give away so many needless fouls as Sandro does. Yes, Sandro is a good tackler, But he does lose his head on occasions. Parker is a calmer and more intelligent player.

Very well put. Also, Parker does not give away so many needless fouls as Sandro does. Yes, Sandro is a good tackler, But he does lose his head on occasions. Parker is a calmer and more intelligent player.

You say that, but I seem to remember Parker giving away many pathetic fouls last season. Not to mention losing his head in one of our biggest games of the season against Arsenal last year.

Dembele isn't a Number 10. I loved the Dembele/Dempsey pairing at Fulham and even then it was Dembele dribbling out of the back making the easier passes, passing it off to Dempsey, and Dempsey would try the high-risk stuff.

He's great at what he is though. Hate to get negative with him but he's not a goalscorer or playmaker. Which in my opinion causes people to overrate him a bit overall.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think Dembele is selling himself short. Don't get me wrong, he is fantastic now but he could be so much more. I think he is more than capable of scoring more and going past people and getting shots off at will. Incredible talent

I'm starting to think Dembele is selling himself short. Don't get me wrong, he is fantastic now but he could be so much more. I think he is more than capable of scoring more and going past people and getting shots off at will. Incredible talent

And leave a gaping hole in our midfield? I agree he seems afraid to shoot, but I wouldn't like to see him trying to beat players on the edge of the box, he needs some discipline especially in a midfield 2 and he has been nothing short of brilliant there so far. Demonstrating my ignorance, he has been a beast defensively and I really believe he has everything - I think if we moved him further forward we would lose our engine room and with it the capability of bossing opponents. We are irresistible with him in the middle!

Had a few long-rangers today that went for corners though. Difficult to score a long shot when there are 8 opponents lined up on the 18-yard line!

Mmmm..thought he faded second half when they were getting a fair amount of the ball and was surprised when it was Lennon and not him that got subbed. He certainly livened up a bit when he saw AVB chatting with Scotty. Also stupid freee kick and booking around that time.
Another good performance today. Powerful man, hard to knock off the ball

I am a bit disappointed about Dembele's form for us so far. When he scored that brilliant goal his first match for us, thought he will become a prolific goal scorer for us. But he has not come close to score since then. Wish he will score more goals.

Unrealistic expectations imo. He wasn't a great goalscorer for Fulham despite playing as a proper attacking midfielder for most of his career there and if I remember correctly actually being brought in as a forward/striker from Holland - proving again that just about everyone can bang in goals for fun in that league.

For us he's playing a deeper position, like he was for about the last half a season for Fulham, and he's doing brilliantly.

I see no reason to try to move him forward again into a number 10 role, sure he can do a job there if injuries demand it, but why ask him to do something he hasn't been able to do in the PL when he's doing so well in his current role alongside Sandro?

Decent, but not great number 10 type attacking midfielders that score a few, but not quite enough goals are easy enough to find. Creative, hard working, strong, proper two way central midfielders who can add some real creativity and skill into a PL central midfield on the other hand are not easy to find. We should look to bring in someone who can play that role when Dembele isn't fit, and possibly play alongside him against bus parking sides, not shift him out of position.

Unrealistic expectations imo. He wasn't a great goalscorer for Fulham despite playing as a proper attacking midfielder for most of his career there and if I remember correctly actually being brought in as a forward/striker from Holland - proving again that just about everyone can bang in goals for fun in that league.

For us he's playing a deeper position, like he was for about the last half a season for Fulham, and he's doing brilliantly.

I see no reason to try to move him forward again into a number 10 role, sure he can do a job there if injuries demand it, but why ask him to do something he hasn't been able to do in the PL when he's doing so well in his current role alongside Sandro?

Decent, but not great number 10 type attacking midfielders that score a few, but not quite enough goals are easy enough to find. Creative, hard working, strong, proper two way central midfielders who can add some real creativity and skill into a PL central midfield on the other hand are not easy to find. We should look to bring in someone who can play that role when Dembele isn't fit, and possibly play alongside him against bus parking sides, not shift him out of position.

It must be said, we are now unbeaten in the 90 mins of all the matches that Dembele have played for us. The only exception is the loss to Everton who scored in injury time. If he can continue to bring us that lucky charm, won't mind if he doesn't score any goals for us.

how much would we need a no.10 ? we've got the ability to initiate an attack from either flanks, and our wingers are expected to cut in to the centre to join in the attack.

It must be said, we are now unbeaten in the 90 mins of all the matches that Dembele have played for us. The only exception is the loss to Everton who scored in injury time. If he can continue to bring us that lucky charm, won't mind if he doesn't score any goals for us.

Not only a lucky charm. Classy player and we have no one else in our squad who can fill that role.

Back