• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Kane came out and contradicted Poch's comments today, which is what I expected, but also doesn't shine a great light on his statement. I agree with the ethos of the thing, but saying that a club which hasn't finished ahead of its rivals for two decades needs to stop worrying about finishing behind them again after a season where such a thing seemed impossible at times...not great timing.

Also, he still hasn't signed the new contract he revealed he'd agreed on a week ago, no?

I think he knows what it means to the supporters and he will be using that behind the scenes. But there is no way he can give out that message to the media. Firstly it makes us sound small time just being focused on one other club. Then it heaps more pressure on the team for Saudi Sportswashing Machine. But also it gives Sky and all the media their story for next week - "will Tottenham's season end in failure by not finishing above Woolwich? " Nothing about the success of qualifying for CL proper, or highest finish in 50-odd years etc. They may well make that their story anyway, but at least it will not have the endorsement of Poch/the club. If he says we have to finish above them and somehow we don't, it becomes an "official" failure in the eyes of the media.

Bingo.

Kane came out and contradicted Poch's comments today, which is what I expected, but also doesn't shine a great light on his statement. I agree with the ethos of the thing, but saying that a club which hasn't finished ahead of its rivals for two decades needs to stop worrying about finishing behind them again after a season where such a thing seemed impossible at times...not great timing.

Also, he still hasn't signed the new contract he revealed he'd agreed on a week ago, no?

That's because Kane gets it. Poch hasn't lived the last 2 decades of this. I said earlier in the season he doesn't understand this derby and I still stand by that now.

This isn't the Espaynol - Barcelona one sided rivalry, or the Rosario derby between two average clubs neither of which have ever been successful for too long.

That's because Kane gets it. Poch hasn't lived the last 2 decades of this. I said earlier in the season he doesn't understand this derby and I still stand by that now.

This isn't the Espaynol - Barcelona one sided rivalry, or the Rosario derby between two average clubs neither of which have ever been successful for too long.

He gets it.
Hasn't lost a league derby.
Why would he give the media any more sticks to potentially beat us with!
I think we should all suspend comment on this topic until the final whistle
next weekend!

He gets it.
Hasn't lost a league derby.
Why would he give the media any more sticks to potentially beat us with!
I think we should all suspend comment on this topic until the final whistle
next weekend!

I also think people should stop taking everything Pochettino says at face value.

Pochettino is reportedly very highly rated in that he gets what the players needs. He gets what he has to say to get them to perform. He understand them and where they are better than most managers/head coaches. It's one of his strengths. That might at times mean saying something that might seem strange from the outside, but that makes sense to get the most out of the players or make sense in a longer term perspective.

As has been said many times we have a young squad. One of their few weaknesses this season has been their "failure" to win big and decisive games. I think Poch is playing down the importance of this game to take a little pressure off the players. That's when they react best. Poch is very astute, he knows what this game means to the supporters and the club. I think he also wants to play it down so he players are not completely deflated if they fail.

I fear this Sun story with pictures about the meeting with Sir Alex is going to be an annoying little backdrop for the next few days.

Hey, you never know, maybe Fergie's coming to Spurs. Just two and half decades late, of course.

To be honest, it's why I'm waiting for the official contract to be signed, and played the party pooper advising everyone else to do the same even when he announced that verbal agreement. We more than anyone know that verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're not written on; well, us and Luka 'I no like chicken badge' Modric. :) I suspect it's a lurking fear in everyone's minds as long as it remains unsigned, and would tie in with all the observations about the team being limp and Poch being listless during the Soton game.

And while I'm not as convinced as everyone else that we can't replace him with someone else, I'll admit to being worried about the effect any possible departure would have on the players and staff. Loyalty to Poch, after all, runs deep; and with some of our key players still stalling on signing new contracts, it isn't out of the question that a future departure (whenever it happens) triggers a Southampton situation.

My drum is wearing thin from all the banging on it, but here is one more drum roll.
Poch is the fourth youngest manager in the league - only Martinez (12th place), Howe (16th place) and Neil (19th place) are younger. And with the youngest squad. Congrats to Poch. Of course (and this doesn't matter) that is seldom mentioned by any journo this year.

Also, can I just say that if Poch goes to United, I hope to be the first to start the 'Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur, Ronald Koeman' thread, just to continue p*ssing off Saints to no end. Keep the cycle going. :D

gotta question the logic behind such a meeting at this time of the season even if it is innocent - can only be a distraction for the players to see their manager in the tabloids fueling these sorts of stories

gotta question the logic behind such a meeting at this time of the season even if it is innocent - can only be a distraction for the players to see their manager in the tabloids fueling these sorts of stories
According to Redknapp (when it mattered to him) it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference!

Also, can I just say that if Poch goes to United, I hope to be the first to start the 'Welcome to Tottenham Hotspur, Ronald Koeman' thread, just to continue p*ssing off Saints to no end. Keep the cycle going. :D
IF it happens perhaps the third time will be the charm!

I'm sure that Pochettino came out and told us that he had agreed a new contract so that things such as this story wouln't (or shouldn't) panic us. If he wasn't 100% intending to stay then t would've been easy for him to have kept quiet. That way he would also have a lot less egg on his face if he did leave.

Back