• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Quite a few players I would describe as "his players". Most of them with an average age of about 22 leading to inconsistent performances with a lack of competition and quality backup options.

If there was no reason to think he's making decisions with a slightly longer perspective, sure.

How do you know that, he could be a spent force, millions of pounds of talent, he has hardly got the best out of them as he, not one player has failed under him but half a dozen and he blindly sticks to the same old plan even if the players are unsuitable, be worried be very worried.

How do you know that, he could be a spent force, millions of pounds of talent, he has hardly got the best out of them as he, not one player has failed under him but half a dozen and he blindly sticks to the same old plan even if the players are unsuitable, be worried be very worried.

could be that, that half a dozen players have failed under 3 managers though suggests to me it's probably them

seriously ? :eek:

No - very much tongue in cheek; but I must admit that my confidence in Poch has taken a mighty beating in the past month. As already pointed out, we have a plan A and if that doesn't work - nothing! It was obvious that Chiriches was a disaster waiting to happen in central defence yet he played him there nevertheless; an the expected outcome materialised.

No - very much tongue in cheek; but I must admit that my confidence in Poch has taken a mighty beating in the past month. As already pointed out, we have a plan A and if that doesn't work - nothing! It was obvious that Chiriches was a disaster waiting to happen in central defence yet he played him there nevertheless; an the expected outcome materialised.

Everyone knows the season is over, the team tonight was make-shift. Do you think Poch didn't think Chiriches wasn't up to it? He's hardly been a regular this season. Its about assessing everyone and going to Levy and saying these lot won't cut it.

That is exactly when you can judge him tactical nous (non) flexibility (non) player judgement ? motivational skills ?, as you can tell I have had a bad day !

This is really boring. Surely you can come up with something better than this. Tactical nous, none? So why are we finally competitive against the top 4-5 teams after the AVB and Sherwood shambles in this respect? Our team certainly isn't as good as all of their teams, so it must be tactics, no?

Flexibility - we've played a variety of formations and personnel this season, partly due to choice, partly forced. We started the season with a completely different set of players, yet it was leading to terrible performances, so half of them were dropped. We played a 4-4-2 defensive formation away against Arsenal to frustrate their fast-passing game and it worked. yet you say he isn't flexible. What manager in the league changes their formation and personnel? This flexibility argument is flimflam. Just complete boring, mindless drivel.

Player judgement? Well he's continually said all season the squad lacks character and determination and must improve in this respect. Seems pretty much spot on to me. He's booted Ade, Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul, Dembele, Paulinho from the team, which most fans were crying out for......so what more do you want?

Motivational skills - what is this even supposed to mean? Most games the players have seen motivated to me.

This is really boring. Surely you can come up with something better than this. Tactical nous, none? So why are we finally competitive against the top 4-5 teams after the AVB and Sherwood shambles in this respect? Our team certainly isn't as good as all of their teams, so it must be tactics, no?

Flexibility - we've played a variety of formations and personnel this season, partly due to choice, partly forced. We started the season with a completely different set of players, yet it was leading to terrible performances, so half of them were dropped. We played a 4-4-2 defensive formation away against Arsenal to frustrate their fast-passing game and it worked. yet you say he isn't flexible. What manager in the league changes their formation and personnel? This flexibility argument is hogwash. Just complete boring, mindless drivel.

Player judgement? Well he's continually said all season the squad lacks character and determination and must improve in this respect. Seems pretty much spot on to me. He's booted Ade, Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches, Kaboul, Dembele, Paulinho from the team, which most fans were crying out for......so what more do you want?

Motivational skills - what is this even supposed to mean? Most games the players have seen motivated to me.

Back from the pub, I have seen no change in the basic set up of the team all season, two inexperienced players at centre mid, inverted wingers, we have lost a third of our league games whilst being defensively frail and not creating chances considering our possession stats, just look at our goals for, yeah as you say "mindless drivel" Dembele and Paulinho should have been used more imo.

I think when your 2 centre mids and striker have never played this many top level games in a single season, it's not surprising that the team looks out of steam.

Now, while we could rotate and freshen up, I think that long-term, we'll benefit. Next season, those players will have the strength and reserves of energy to keep going, along with some additions who can come in and cover/compete with them.

I think when your 2 centre mids and striker have never played this many top level games in a single season, it's not surprising that the team looks out of steam.

Now, while we could rotate and freshen up, I think that long-term, we'll benefit. Next season, those players will have the strength and reserves of energy to keep going, along with some additions who can come in and cover/compete with them.

I hope you are right, perhaps we could deal with the long diagonal ball better then as well.

Back from the pub, I have seen no change in the basic set up of the team all season, two inexperienced players at centre mid, inverted wingers, we have lost a third of our league games whilst being defensively frail and not creating chances considering our possession stats, just look at our goals for, yeah as you say "mindless drivel" Dembele and Paulinho should have been used more imo.

Why should Dembele and Paulinho be used more often when they're not in the coaches long term plans? They don't suit his style of play and they've continually let the club down in terms of performance when it matters? He has played inexperienced players in midfield as they're the only two guys who work to any extent in his system. All the other midfielders hold onto the ball, slow the play down and slow our play down and are not decisive on the ball. We need strengthening in midfield, but for now Bentaleb and Mason are all we have, they've played loads and are probably out of steam. The lack of viable alternatives is the problem.

The point about money, Hazard and Chelsea is that with the kind of money the top teams have they can afford to buy top flair players that are also very hard working. And they're in a much stronger position to convince top flair players that aren't working hard enough to up their game. Mourinho could get rid of Mata because he wasn't a good fit, confident that he could buy the type of players that fit better with his strategy. Mourinho could hang Hazard out to dry in the press after their CL elimination confident that although Hazard might be upset it's not like he would also be tapped up by someone offering to double his wages and improve his chances of winning titles elsewhere to further make him want to leave.

Can Pochettino do the same without the financial power Chelsea have? Not that easy I would say.[/QUOTE]

What??? This couldn't be more opposite of the truth. So the most expensive players are always the hardest working and most tactically aware/drilled?

How does that explain how less talented teams beat the more talented/more expensive teams? Isn't it purely because the less talented/expensive has to be harder working and more organised???

I guarantee (well I can't guarantee) that if Mourinho managed us/Eriksen and Poch managed Chelsea/Hazard it would be Eriksen who would be known as the harder working of the two who drops back into shape when defending.

This discussion started on our midfield 2 being isolated which is why we are so weak defensively.
On this theory alone at least, its not going to take more money/better players for our attacking 3 drop back into shape defensively. Its simply going to take better coaching/direction/drills etc.

You can't possibly believe that because only Chadli (for example) cost 7m he should be excused for his lack of tracking back. These are the basics all players should be expected to do regardless of their talent/price tag. It doesn't taken much nous from players either to form defensive blocks - hence the Pulis examples.

As regards to your opinion that more signings means more competition. We already have competition for places, Poch has shown he isn't scared to drop players so I have to believe that any laziness in our attacking trio dropping back is not actually laziness - its simply they are not instructed to do so.

This is just my opinion but I believe that Poch doesn't drill the team into what to do when the ball is in our half. All he knows is the high press. Singing more players isn't going to change this.

Last edited:
When LVG was struggling at Utd he changed his style of play using the players he had available to achieve top four that's good management, at stoke yesterday we played four centre halfs at the back to combat their ariel threat, they then played us off the park, its not the result its progress and this year I have seen none, we have a good performance and you think here we go then in the next game he changes half the team, he is certainly no better than AVB and a backward step on Sherwood.

I can't believe some people think we are one of the top four clubs in the country. We haven't been for 4 years. Some people need to lower their expectations. Pochettino will do the best he can with the players he has at his disposal. I'd say based on performances this season we aren't the 6th best club, yet we sit there. You'll always get "those" fans though who will moan when we don't get the top four or win matches, yet laugh at the team when they lose to "prove a point" at how Poch isn't the right man. You really want the team we have to go into the Champions League? We'd not even get passed the qualifiers.

We have three clubs above us who spend billions more than us (Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea), you have a club with stability and a manager who knows how to win games when it matters, a club that always finishes above us (Woolwich) and then a team who have spent £100,000,000 in the summer and finished second in the league last season (Liverpool).

Would we do any better with a team full of players Pochettino trusts, is suited to what Pochettino wants from his players and a squad he can rely on? Who knows, but I have a strong strong feeling we'd do a lot better than we are doing now.

Yes. I think Poch has had his focus set on next seasons for months. He knows there's no point Paulinho, Dembele and Soldado strolling out the closing days of their Spurs careers, when there's a chance to develop our new core of Bentaleb, Mason and Kane.

Yes they are clearly very tired, but the experience being gained will pay back next season. Remember we persisted with Modric and Bale when they were inconsistent in their first year or two, and look at the long term benefits of that.

I can't believe some people think we are one of the top four clubs in the country. We haven't been for 4 years. Some people need to lower their expectations. Pochettino will do the best he can with the players he has at his disposal. I'd say based on performances this season we aren't the 6th best club, yet we sit there. You'll always get "those" fans though who will moan when we don't get the top four or win matches, yet laugh at the team when they lose to "prove a point" at how Poch isn't the right man. You really want the team we have to go into the Champions League? We'd not even get passed the qualifiers.

We have three clubs above us who spend billions more than us (Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea), you have a club with stability and a manager who knows how to win games when it matters, a club that always finishes above us (Woolwich) and then a team who have spent £100,000,000 in the summer and finished second in the league last season (Liverpool).

Would we do any better with a team full of players Pochettino trusts, is suited to what Pochettino wants from his players and a squad he can rely on? Who knows, but I have a strong strong feeling we'd do a lot better than we are doing now.

6th is our natural position. We've got the 6th biggest wagebill/turnover and that's not going to change till the stadium is built.

In the meantime we're only going to get ahead of the 5 teams with much bigger resources than us by being smarter than them. That's why we've got to use the academy and a system manager. But these are medium-to-long term methods, not the instant gratification a lot of modern fans irrationally insist on.

6th is our natural position. We've got the 6th biggest wagebill/turnover and that's not going to change till the stadium is built.

In the meantime we're only going to get ahead of the 5 teams with much bigger resources than us by being smarter than them. That's why we've got to use the academy and a system manager. But these are medium-to-long term methods, not the instant gratification a lot of modern fans irrationally insist on.

Lot of truth in that, especially the bolded bit.

When LVG was struggling at Utd he changed his style of play using the players he had available to achieve top four that's good management, at stoke yesterday we played four centre halfs at the back to combat their ariel threat, they then played us off the park, its not the result its progress and this year I have seen none, we have a good performance and you think here we go then in the next game he changes half the team, he is certainly no better than AVB and a backward step on Sherwood.

Which players did he do that with though? Top class, even world class players. They spent a shed load of money (again) last summer with one goal - get us back into the top 4 this season.

We're in a very different situation.

Stoke didn't play us off the park. We made individual errors that were punished.

Which players did he do that with though? Top class, even world class players. They spent a shed load of money (again) last summer with one goal - get us back into the top 4 this season.

Stoke didn't play us off the park. We made individual errors that were punished.

We have spent sheds loads of money as well, LVG`s main saviour was adapting their style of play to utilise Felaini which was a short term fix to their problems.

As for Stoke 3-0, once again we created Jack, to me that is getting played off the Park, and what was the playing of four CB`s about.

I am not negative by nature, I would give MP time because we have to start getting some stability but I would be lying if I said that I have been impressed with him this season.

As well as punishing some individual errors that we made Stoke also outplayed us quite comprehensively.

Back