• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

His results in England make him a failure in England. He's now managing in Russia. As another poster said, there's two ways of playing; effective but winning football or attractive, we were neither under AVB. His results were more or less the same as what Sherwood's are and yet one is seen as a genius and the other a clown.
They were worse.... Especially when using the same players (i.e. when AVB no longer had his World class Bale out winning games gorgeous him)

They were worse.... Especially when using the same players (i.e. when AVB no longer had his World class Bale out winning games gorgeous him)

Their results were almost identical against the same teams. It's the two wins against Southampton and similar to West Brom IIRC that skews the data in Sherwood's favour. AVB left before he could face either of them that season.

What about Poch?.... His seem worse than both AVBs and (especially) Sherwood's?

He was doing better than both until Aston Villa, 4 games ago. I'd say ManU was the turning point though. We were one point off them when we played Liverpool, then clawed our way back only to lose. Winning either would have made a world of difference IMO.

His results in England make him a failure in England. He's now managing in Russia. As another poster said, there's two ways of playing; effective but winning football or attractive, we were neither under AVB. His results were more or less the same as what Sherwood's are and yet one is seen as a genius and the other a clown.

A 55% win average in England is not bad.

Their results were almost identical against the same teams. It's the two wins against Southampton and similar to West Brom IIRC that skews the data in Sherwood's favour. AVB left before he could face either of them that season.
59.1% win record for Sherwood vs 50% for AVB in 2013-14. That is a very hefty improvement. If Poch could make a similar improvement on Sherwood to what Sherwood did on AVB we'd be shoe ins for the top 4.

Was all the more impressive from Sherwood as well really seeing as he did that while forced to use AVBs (not so) magnificent 7.

Anyway let's hope Poch can turn it around next season, or perhaps starting at home to Hull this weekend, if he doesn't start this weekend then he looks like he might be helped by no European football next year, which I would welcome so that I get to go to mainly Saturday football again, but I'm got sure Levy will be quite as pleased as I am.

Reactions: DTA

Or doesn't make Avb look worse.

Anyway let's hope Poch can turn it around next season, or perhaps starting at home to Hull this weekend, if he doesn't start this weekend then he looks like he might be helped by no European football next year, which I would welcome so that I get to go to mainly Saturday football again, but I'm got sure Levy will be quite as pleased as I am.

The race to 8th place? Swansea look as though they're willing to cooperate, but Southampton hold all the cards there, I'm afraid. We're just going to end up finishing 7th and have to start even earlier in the competition if we play that game.

Why does people's dislike of AVB and his style make him a poor manager? His results says otherwise and results matter as I keep seeing in the Sherwood thread.

Which were bettered by Sherwood, who also had us scoring goals and generally making us play better.

Small amount of games, but I think his win percentage at villa .....VILLA is around 55%

I would be interested to see the respective records of Pochettino and Sherwood since Sherwood went to Villa. I assume Poch must be well ahead, but I wonder how close it is?

That's because Sherwood always acts like a clown shoe in the media and I'd rather not have someone like that in charge. We're much better off without that baggage. Even Mourinho's record doesn't quite make up for how much of a lady garden he is and Sherwood is nowhere near his ability.

Liverpool game aside, he really wasn't as bad as the Sherwood haters make out, he said some stupid (or funny) stuff, but he was also put in a difficult position with the fact that Lvg running his mouth off, and all that intialed ... He is also much better at this with villa.

Can't deny his impact - less than 6 months in a caretaker role nearly a year a go and still people are obsessed with him.

I would be interested to see the respective records of Pochettino and Sherwood since Sherwood went to Villa. I assume Poch must be well ahead, but I wonder how close it is?

Not 100% sure

I'm not sure pouch is ahead at all..... Although in fairness this is probably pouches worst run of results since he got here.

Liverpool game aside, he really wasn't as bad as the Sherwood haters make out, he said some stupid (or funny) stuff, but he was also put in a difficult position with the fact that Lvg running his mouth off, and all that intialed ... He is also much better at this with villa.
His handling of the media is getting better, which would be as expected as he becomes more experienced...

Can't deny his impact - less than 6 months in a caretaker role nearly a year a go and still people are obsessed with him.

Obsessed is a bit strong, but surely its natural questions are asked. A guy that internally knew the club inside out comes in and statistically does very well. His handling of the media should have been better at times, but his personality meant it was going to take time for that part of his management to develop and the signs are at Villa it already has.

He gets sacked and his replacement Poch doesn't do as well statistically in the league, and as of yet I wouldn't say there has been a great deal of evidence of this amazing system that Poch was supposed to be implementing. There have been flashes don't get me wrong, but we look terrible defensively and I don't see any real progress. Bearing in mind the players Sherwood had to managed including all those famous 'Bale money signings' in their debut seasons, and Poch has had the advantage of having them in their second season when they should be more adapted and a whole pre season with this side something Sherwood didn't have surely it is only natural some people who didnt actually dispise the guy and choose to look at the football side of things are going to question whether it really was correct to get rid of him and have Poch take over?

That being said Im behind Poch 100% for now....

Obsessed is a bit strong, but surely its natural questions are asked. A guy that internally knew the club inside out comes in and statistically does very well. His handling of the media should have been better at times, but his personality meant it was going to take time for that part of his management to develop and the signs are at Villa it already has.

He gets sacked and his replacement Poch doesn't do as well statistically in the league, and as of yet I wouldn't say there has been a great deal of evidence of this amazing system that Poch was supposed to be implementing. There have been flashes don't get me wrong, but we look terrible defensively and I don't see any real progress. Bearing in mind the players Sherwood had to managed including all those famous 'Bale money signings' in their debut seasons, and Poch has had the advantage of having them in their second season when they should be more adapted and a whole pre season with this side something Sherwood didn't have surely it is only natural some people who didnt actually dispise the guy and choose to look at the football side of things are going to question whether it really was correct to get rid of him and have Poch take over?

That being said Im behind Poch 100% for now....

I agree with all of this including being 100% behind pouch for now, I would just like to add that significant money was also spent this summer on players pouch wanted, or at least signed off and this is another advantage pouch had over Sherwood.

Back