• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

For every goal someone some makes a mistake - that is life. There are two things I don't understand though.

1. Why there is such a focus on his mistakes when they are not particularly regular.

2. People calling for him to be dropped/sold are saying to start Fazio instead? The guy has made more galling mistakes in far less games - i don't understand their reasoning or thought processes on that one?

It has to be his so called attitude that gripes people as he is by far our best option at centre half this season.

It will be madness to sell Jan, however IF we do I am sure there will be a lot bigger clubs in for him then the last two we let go ( Dawson and Caulker), funny how there are still some fans who would like to see them back here even though they are not as good as Jan.

Fazio has had plenty also though so I wouldn't drop Vertonghen.

Fazio can organise a defence. And its his first season over here. We wont get 20m for him. And he's not refusing to sign a new contract.
So many times I've seen Vertonghen after goals shrugging his shoulder as if "Well I did my part", refusing to take collective responsibility.

There has to be a reason that a number of players specifically told Poch they didnt want Vertonghen as captain at the start of the season.

Fazio can organise a defence. And its his first season over here. We wont get 20m for him. And he's not refusing to sign a new contract.
So many times I've seen Vertonghen after goals shrugging his shoulder as if "Well I did my part", refusing to take collective responsibility.

There has to be a reason that a number of players specifically told Poch they didnt want Vertonghen as captain at the start of the season.

Is there a source for this? Never heard of this before.

Just seems strange that everytime our defence collapses Jan is in the team yet its always his partner who takes the blame.

Is there a source for this? Never heard of this before.

It's not an accurate comment from what I've read

What was rumoured was that Poch asked who the players wanted as captain, not who they DID NOT

I personally think he isn't going anywhere and he has currently said he won't sign an extension but still has plenty of time left

He has been great and kind of gone under the radar a bit. The only real mistake I can remember this season was against Fiorientina

Who are the players who said they did not want Jan as captain, its news to me. And IF what you say is true how come Jan has worn the armband on a couple of occasions.

Who are the players who said they did not want Jan as captain, its news to me. And IF what you say is true how come Jan has worn the armband on a couple of occasions.

The ones I presume that preferred the likes of Kaboul and Adebayor captain over him?

Fazio can organise a defence.

We didn't look particularly organised when Fazio was playing with Kaboul. In fact we were a mess. The only times we've looked solid this season was when Vertonghen was playing.

And its his first season over here. We wont get 20m for him. And he's not refusing to sign a new contract.

We've not offered to extend Fazio's contract, so how can he refuse? Besides, are you aware that Fazio and Vertonghen have a contract that ends at the same time. I don't see what the big deal is about really. Eriksen also has the same amount of time left.

Oh dear, the body language experts are out in force again.

The very same players who wanted Kaboul and Adebayor as captains? Yeah, let's take them seriously.

Just seems strange that everytime our defence collapses Jan is in the team

Tell me of the times then that we've looked solid without Jan this season? The Fazio-Kaboul and Kaboul-Vlad partnerships were incredibly reliable... yeah right. If anything we've only been solid when Jan was in the team.

Last edited:
Possibly a case could be made for Dawson

So arguably the best defender in his twenties we've signed in the last 10+ years. Arguably much longer than that.

I just find it a bit strange that so many people seemingly take him and his contributions for granted. I chose "in his twenties" as a way of looking at our success in signing central defenders that have been bought for the first team, but without being over the hill like Gallas. I just think we'll be hard fought finding new signings that will be an upgrade on Vertonghen. Signings as it would have to be two as he currently seems to be our first choice centre back.

And it's not like we haven't tried to sign first choice centre backs in that time. And other teams around us are paying huge amounts for centre backs that are not exactly working out brilliantly like Mangala, Lovren etc.

Agree totally. For 10m quid he has been great value. Was terrible in the sherwood era but other than that he has impressed

Agree totally. For 10m quid he has been great value. Was terrible in the sherwood era but other than that he has impressed
Terrible... he had an awful match against Chelsea and had to go off injured against Liverpool after 20 minutes. The matches he played before that under Sherwood weren't exactly terrible, him and Kaboul actually had some decent performances there and for the rest he was pretty much injured during the entire Sherwood period. He had an average run of games under AVB at some point last season. But since most of those matches were at LB it isn't entirely fair to be to critical there.

People have been to harsh on Vertonghen based upon last year, especially the so-called body-language experts. He and Dawson played well enough at CB until the West Ham match. After that Vertonghen played as a LB most of the time (which let's be honest isn't his thing and certainly not the way to get the best out of CB's, just look at how awful Dier was when he got a run of multiple games at RB), then got a major injury, returned, did alright with the exception of the Chelsea match and 20 minutes against Liverpool, got injured again and that was his season. To much has been made of not having a smile on his face instead of objectively looking at his performances, especially considering many of those games were at LB and he had three major injuries.

Last edited:
Terrible... he had an awful match against Chelsea and had to go off injured against Liverpool after 20 minutes. The matches he played before that under Sherwood weren't exactly terrible, him and Kaboul actually had some decent performances there and for the rest he was pretty much injured during the entire Sherwood period.

People have been to harsh on Vertonghen based upon last year, especially the so-called body-language experts. He and Dawson played well enough at CB until the West Ham match. After that Vertonghen played as a LB most of the time (which let's be honest isn't his thing and certainly not the way to get the best out of CB's, just look at how awful Dier was when he got a run of multiple games at RB), then got a major injury, returned, did alright with the exception of the Chelsea match and 20 minutes against Liverpool, got injured again and that was his season. To much has been made of not having a smile on his face instead of objectively looking at his performances, especially considering many of those games were at LB and he had three major injuries.

He is our best CB and one of the best in the Prem, as you say the body language experts were out in force last season and some still believe that flimflam. I wonder what Uni you have to go to get a degree in it.

Back