• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

He's only played 2 games in the prem. It will take him a while to adjust just like it would any other signing. You get exceptions like Hazard, Torres and Kompany who flourish straight and don't seem to take any time to bed in, but most players who come from another country initially don't set the world alight, Ramires at Chelsea is a good example. I'm confident he will be a quality player for us.

Some people forget that Kompany was actually bought a few years before they won the lottery and wasn't first choice for a while.

Premier League new boy Jan Vertonghen displayed his aerial prowess, winning 11 out of 12 battles when competing for headers to top the European stats. It’s an impressive feat, particularly as he came up against Grant Holt and Steve Morison in Norwich’s attack, both of whom carry a considerable aerial threat. It was not enough to give Spurs all three points against the Canaries but it’s an encouraging statistic for Tottenham fans.

Slightly misleading to say that he was up against Holt and Morison in my opinion. Morison came on in the 73rd minute for Jackson. Prior to that Holt had consistently stuck to Gallas as could be expected and Vertonghen had mainly had to deal with the much smaller Jackson. He should be dominant in the air against him.

Probably didn't count as a lost header, but he lost his man for that header that Friedel saved. Difficult situation though so not a massive error in my opinion.

He's only played 2 games in the prem. It will take him a while to adjust just like it would any other signing. You get exceptions like Hazard, Torres and Kompany who flourish straight and don't seem to take any time to bed in, but most players who come from another country initially don't set the world alight, Ramires at Chelsea is a good example. I'm confident he will be a quality player for us.

Centre backs generally take longer to adapt too. Others have already pointed out that Kompany took some time before becoming great. Vidic was looked at as a clown and failed signing early on in his PL career. Down the road Koscielny looked completely lost in his first season, but was one of their best players last season. Coloccini looked useless in his first PL season, now Saudi Sportswashing Machine build their back 4 around him and he looks great.

Seems to be more the exception than the rule when central defenders make it straight away when signed from smaller leagues into the Premiership, although there are obviously several examples of players doing just that. I hope we give Vertonghen the time he might need to adapt, although him adapting quickly would be great.

ledley king also took some time to become the supreme cb that he was.
also spent some time in midfield under pleat.

i remember at one time many spurs faithful were saying that gardner was the better of the two. but i always had faith in king!

Have to say Vetonghen had a pretty good game against Norwich. Hasn't seen anything to convince me prior to that but he was encouraging. Can't wait til Kaboul's back.

Have to say Vetonghen had a pretty good game against Norwich. Hasn't seen anything to convince me prior to that but he was encouraging. Can't wait til Kaboul's back.

I thought he did too, many seem to think he didn't have a good game against Norwich though? Was at the game so maybe got a different view of things etc.....

ledley king also took some time to become the supreme cb that he was.
also spent some time in midfield under pleat.

i remember at one time many spurs faithful were saying that gardner was the better of the two. but i always had faith in king!

As outrageous as that sounds, I do remember thinking Gardner looked extrmely talented at one point. Didn't he get an England call up/cap too?

First proper look at Vertonghen saturday and the guy looked very good! Who ever said he had a bad game needs there eyes testing!
Compossed, quick enough, good in the air! Had a good mix against Holt (strength and power) and Jackson (speed) so he passed with flying colours for me!

I would maybe look to give Caulker a run but understand why AVB going with Gallas at the moment!

First proper look at Vertonghen saturday and the guy looked very good! Who ever said he had a bad game needs there eyes testing!
Compossed, quick enough, good in the air! Had a good mix against Holt (strength and power) and Jackson (speed) so he passed with flying colours for me!

I would maybe look to give Caulker a run but understand why AVB going with Gallas at the moment!

He got away with a massive rick right at the death. It was down our left side, the lad toed it one side and ran round the other. It was Sunday League stuff. Fortunately the Norwich lad managed to mess up the square pass as they had 2v1 against Gallas. Should've been a goal for them. Other than that he was generally OK. He made a couple of similar ricks in the game against West Brom and was generally out-muscled by Lukaku so there are causes for concern. We'll have to see how the next few weeks pan out.

He made a couple of similar ricks in the game against West Brom and was generally out-muscled by Lukaku so there are causes for concern. We'll have to see how the next few weeks pan out.

Won't be the last CB to be, Lukaku is a f$%king monster

As outrageous as that sounds, I do remember thinking Gardner looked extrmely talented at one point. Didn't he get an England call up/cap too?

Yes, I think he got one England cap, possibly two.

I thought he was a decent CB when he got a run in the team. The problem was he was injured a lot and liable to make a howler in one of his first few games back.

Yes, I think he got one England cap, possibly two.

I thought he was a decent CB when he got a run in the team. The problem was he was injured a lot and liable to make a howler in one of his first few games back.

The Sun ran a back page headline saying 'Just why did you pick HIM, Sven?'

Was a bit harsh.

He was brick though. Met him once nice guy but not cut out for the prem IMO.

Back