• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Needs to work a bit on his upper-body strength, I think; he's too easy to push off the ball at the moment.

Needs to work a bit on his upper-body strength, I think; he's too easy to push off the ball at the moment.

See, I think different. I have yet to see him be barged or bullied off the ball. He seems to have impeccable balance.

See, I think different. I have yet to see him be barged or bullied off the ball. He seems to have impeccable balance.

you are kidding. didnt you watch the Emirates Marketing Project game? they dusted him off quite a few times and that isnt even an exagerration

Nice quotes from the manager...

On another note I could tell that was a Guardian article from the first paragraph. For a supposed 'quality' newspaper they do like to make everything seem sensational in their own little way, and all of their writers seem to want to prove how smart they are - or how stupid their readers are - with over explaining who person in the story is. It's not a big thing but it really gets on my tits, it's a much more annoying writing style than Telegraph or Times for me.

you are kidding. didnt you watch the Emirates Marketing Project game? they dusted him off quite a few times and that isnt even an exagerration

Most of the die hard 'trust in AVB' lot have repressed any memories of that game completely.

Most of the die hard 'trust in AVB' lot have repressed any memories of that game completely.

and rightly they should. That game was a total blip. its actually a game i think people should ignore when making a judgement about him.

You cant really use games like that to base an opinion on someone.....total mutation of a result compared to how our team has played all season

but people are makinu stuff up literally when they say lamela hasnt been getting bossed off the ball all season in tussle of the muscles scenarios

Nice quotes from the manager...

On another note I could tell that was a Guardian article from the first paragraph. For a supposed 'quality' newspaper they do like to make everything seem sensational in their own little way, and all of their writers seem to want to prove how smart they are - or how stupid their readers are - with over explaining who person in the story is. It's not a big thing but it really gets on my tits, it's a much more annoying writing style than Telegraph or Times for me.

Well they are actively targeting the US and Australia now, moving from .co.uk to a .com and with separate US and Australian editions.

I agree with you on this particular observation. I agree with Mumorn on his general point though, Lamela looks fairly strong/strong enough.

Although he has been barged off the ball a few times he's also shown some very good strength and balance in several situations where he's been under pressure. Like one of his runs against Fulham where he kept ahead of one of their midfielders on one of his runs through the middle.

Second point, how strong should we expect and want a player like that to be? Plenty of excellent attacking midfielders that are rather lightweight and several that have succeeded in the Premier League. They do get barged off the ball, particularly by some top notch defensive midfielders with pace and power, but they find enough space with clever movement, great touches, vision, outright skill, balance and quickness to do real damage.

For most players, with the exception in part of those with a seemingly almost superhuman physique like Bale, bulking up comes at a cost to acceleration and agility at least if not other physical attributes as well. To me Lamela "just" has to get used to the Premier League, some players to get a bit stronger in their early twenties naturally, but it shouldn't be focus.

They crowded him out for sure. But lets not make him out to be some weak guy. I've also seen Bale knocked off the ball easily (against Leeds in the FA Cup last year, yes Leeds). I have no doubt confidence also has something to do with it, not saying confidence will give you strength, but he's not taking control of his game, when youre in control, have the ball with confidence, you will glide past players, using balance as your strength. We have only really seen that against Sheriff when his confidence was sky high.

They crowded him out for sure. But lets not make him out to be some weak guy. I've also seen Bale knocked off the ball easily (against Leeds in the FA Cup last year, yes Leeds). I have no doubt confidence also has something to do with it, not saying confidence will give you strength, but he's not taking control of his game, when youre in control, have the ball with confidence, you will glide past players, using balance as your strength. We have only really seen that against Sheriff when his confidence was sky high.

they didnt crowd him out...they stuck a finger out and the went in the opposite direction...people cant do much with getting crowded out...but when you have position and a simple fore arm takes you out then you got brushed

sheriff? really? in many ways that game probably did that boy more harm than good

but i agree about confidence , it seeps into everything you do and affects everything you do. he might be suffering from that, infact i think he probably is..he doesnt play like a confident / ambitious type......and i dont think it takes much right now to knock him back a bit

he'll be fine when people get off his case as being the next maradona and just accept him as a top class first 11 team player. Then he'll do his role and then contribute great stats wise and have great moments with other , hopfefully, like minded technical team players

Did anyone see the extended highlights of the Fulham game on sky?

Lamella looked much improved and ran with the ball a lot in a direct manner

He was avoiding challenges well and played really positively

He looked a lot like Bale dare I say it but without any obvious confidence and that's a good sign and that's something you can fix

Their is pressure on him and it doesn't help to have clowns like Jamie (I hate. Spurs cos hey sacked my dad) Redknapp talk about his fee and how little he has achieved. The lad doesn't decide the fee and he was one of the best players in his league last season by a long way. He has been here for 4 months and is learning the language

It's no coincidence that AVB is sticking up for him and giving him time as he sees the ability he has

the fulham game did have quite a few OAPs compared to him. you would hope he cold ghost past those type of players at least

Jamie Redknapp, what a ****ing plonker.

"Yeah he scored a couple of goals in Serie A but £30m was a ridiculous fee to pay and he can't even get into his national team's side"

Jamie Redknapp, what a ****ing plonker.

"Yeah he scored a couple of goals in Serie A but £30m was a ridiculous fee to pay and he can't even get into his national team's side"

The guy knows absolute **** all, it's amazing that he's employed as a pundit but it doesn't surprise me coming from Sky.

Imagine if he COULD get into the national team ahead of Aguero, Messi, Higuain, di Maria etc.

The guy knows absolute **** all, it's amazing that he's employed as a pundit but it doesn't surprise me coming from Sky.

Imagine if he COULD get into the national team ahead of Aguero, Messi, Higuain, di Maria etc.

why is he competing with higuain and aguero? wouldnt he be in the midfield spot?

why is he competing with higuain and aguero? wouldnt he be in the midfield spot?

They have to fit those in. Usually wide positions.

Plus, Lamela has been called up to Argentinas last 4 or so games and has played in all of them, so once again its just stupid lack of knowledge by a shocking pundit.

Back