• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Yes, but that's the way it has always been, and it's the way it goes everywhere not just in football. You don't see a teacher blaming the slow kid for receiving a 5 mark, but when a smart kid receives a 5 he's parents are called in to discuss his weak performance.

The smart kid is still smart. But to look at and single out his individual performance when so much is wrong with the team as a whole strikes me as premature. We also don't have any insight into how he's being coached so let's wait until closer to the end of the season before we really pass any judgment on him.

The smart kid is still smart. But to look at and single out his individual performance when so much is wrong with the team as a whole strikes me as premature. We also don't have any insight into how he's being coached so let's wait until closer to the end of the season before we really pass any judgment on him.
Oh, I'm "bashing" plenty of players, not just Lamela. Paulinho is top of my list really, but this is the lamera thread so ...

I haven't seen anyone blaming Lamela for his GHod awful defending for City's third goal. If he wants to start, he has to do much better than that defensively.

(Obviously almost everyone made defensive mistakes on Sunday, and so it might seem harsh to judge him on his, but it was only 2-0 when he made his - his head should still have been in the game - and he showed a complete lack of awareness and / or effort in response to some pretty basic movement.)

Bale was sh*t hot from day one. We did not play badly on account of him but for sure Lamela's performance was a big reason why we lost 6-0.

Bale was very good early on including his debut. He then struggled for a significant amount of time, at least partly because of injuries. He might have looked **** hot from day one, but he didn't continue to look **** hot for very long.

How many big reasons were there that we lost 6-0? I cant think of a few players that deserve a lot more blame than Lamela...

I haven't seen anyone blaming Lamela for his GHod awful defending for City's third goal. If he wants to start, he has to do much better than that defensively.

(Obviously almost everyone made defensive mistakes on Sunday, and so it might seem harsh to judge him on his, but it was only 2-0 when he made his - his head should still have been in the game - and he showed a complete lack of awareness and / or effort in response to some pretty basic movement.)

I agree. When we were first linked with Lamela I posted that an Italian friend of mine described him as great going forward but that you might as well be playing with 10 men when we're defending because he does nothing. In the short appearance versus Arsen*l i was quite encouraged but since then it seems he's reverted to type.

I agree. When we were first linked with Lamela I posted that an Italian friend of mine described him as great going forward but that you might as well be playing with 10 men when we're defending because he does nothing. In the short appearance versus Arsen*l i was quite encouraged but since then it seems he's reverted to type.

He's shown that he's willing to run about a bit, but defensively he does lack discipline and a fair bit of ability. Reminds me a bit of Bale when he was turning into a superstar and stopped tracking back actually. Although part of it (for both players) will be attempts to get away with not tracking back as much for the possible advantage of being in a better counter attacking position when we do win the ball. Stay slightly further forward and make the opposing full back make a decision between leaving a massive gap going forward or just staying back more.

Interesting what elltrev is saying "if he wants to start he has to do better defensively". Could be a reason behind his limited time on the pitch in the league. Just speculation of course, but not impossible.

If AVB is worried about his defensive contribution, then why no tplay him in the hole, where defensive considerations aren't so important.

If AVB is worried about his defensive contribution, then why no tplay him in the hole, where defensive considerations aren't so important.

I actually think he does well defensively, not Lennon good, but certainly better then your fair share of wide men. I agree about playing him in the hole though, think he could flourish there, especially in the Prem.

I actually think he does well defensively, not Lennon good, but certainly better then your fair share of wide men. I agree about playing him in the hole though, think he could flourish there, especially in the Prem.

I agree. I thought he out in a shift against City until everyone lost their heads.

He has a lot to learn but the talent is there.

Does he merit starts? Probably not but if we're experimenting to get the right system then why not give our most talented players the chance. He needs to play in the top games to learn faster IMO

Thought he was good over all tonight.

I can see why he's seen as a no 10 at times, especially early in the second half when he exchanged passes with two or three players outside of Fulham's area.

Totally agree with that piece. I personally wasn't that excited by his move, not because I doubted his ability but because I felt it was more one for the future than one hitting the ground running.

That line in the article about Baldini is a reassuring one. He will know the player better than most people and to get him in for that price suggests to me he's confident he can succeed in England.

i thought he did alright yesterday, it was a good game to ease him in to the physicality especially due to the age and stamina of jol's team.

played the same as i always expect him to play barring his bad performances, technical , intelligent and team oriented. a good number of players like him together in one team is what makes a team very deadly and hard to play against

I'm convinced that the lad will come good in time.

Just remember how long it took Gareth Bale to become a star for Spurs.

I'm convinced that the lad will come good in time.

Just remember how long it took Gareth Bale to become a star for Spurs.

Slightly different though. Bale was a left back and is a completely different player to Lamela.

I think Lamela will come good, the signs are there, he's had poor performances against the likes of Tromso, Anzhi etc. but for he's also had solid performances against Villa and Hull in the cups, coming off the bench to get an assist against Cardiff, solid performance last night and his best performance in a Spurs shirt against Sheriff.

It's all about time and patience with this kid, once we get a solid set team with players back playing in their best positions, so Rose at left back, Vert at centre half etc. and we utilize Lamela to his strengths, he'll shine and I can't wait for it to happen.

Slightly different though. Bale was a left back and is a completely different player to Lamela.

I think Lamela will come good, the signs are there, he's had poor performances against the likes of Tromso, Anzhi etc. but for he's also had solid performances against Villa and Hull in the cups, coming off the bench to get an assist against Cardiff, solid performance last night and his best performance in a Spurs shirt against Sheriff.

It's all about time and patience with this kid, once we get a solid set team with players back playing in their best positions, so Rose at left back, Vert at centre half etc. and we utilize Lamela to his strengths, he'll shine and I can't wait for it to happen.

seems like a lot of shifting around and waiting on the perfect stage setting before the star can perform.

Don't see why we don't give a 4-3-2-1 formation ago and scrap the wingers all together.

Lloris

Walker Vlad Verts Rose

Sandro Holtby Dembele

Lamela Eriksen

Soldado​

André Villas-Boas has spoken of the culture shock from which Erik Lamela is suffering and stressed the need for continued patience with the Tottenham Hotspur record signing. Lamela has struggled sorely since his £30m arrival from Roma in August, and Villas-Boas has started him in only two Premier League matches.

The Argentina winger's lack of English has been one of his problems; the tempo and physicality of the English game another. His confidence has been affected as he has been kept in reserve for the big fixtures and his frustration has built.

But there is support for him from Villas-Boas and the dressing-room, where there is the desire to see him overcome his difficulties. Roberto Soldado, the Spain striker, has been acting as his unofficial interpreter and Lamela's efforts to, at least, attempt to speak English and attend off-the-field get-togethers have been well received. His family also came over to London at the end of October.

"We need to be patient with him," Villas-Boas, the manager, said. "Not speaking the language is very difficult but not only that – coming from very different social backgrounds as well, from Argentina and Rome to Tottenham. It has been a difficult step for him. We need to give him the chances to break into the team and, eventually, when a game goes fully to his way for 90 minutes, we can have him back to the levels he was at before.

"We are willing to be patient which is why, from not being selected [in the squad] against Manchester United last Sunday, he came straight into the team against Fulham on Wednesday. We gave him that chance. It is a question of nurturing the player until he finds his way back."

Villas-Boas explained what he meant by social differences and, to him, it is partly down to how a player feels the contact with fans. For Lamela, Villas-Boas suggested, it was more intense as a Roma player living in Rome. He was at pains to say that the experiences were neither better nor worse than each other, merely different.

"What I am saying is that it is completely different, that there is a massive change of social life," Villas-Boas said. "I am not saying the fans are decisive in this process that Lamela is taking but it is a complete opposite reality to the one he had before [in Rome] and, probably, that is taking a little bit more time to react."

Lamela made his full Premier League debut in the 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project, when he played on the left, rather than the right flank that he favoured at Roma. He started on the right at Fulham but, after struggling, Villas-Boas switched him to the left and he showed one or two flickers.

The manager has stronger options on the right, with Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend, and he has suggested that Lamela might see a clearer route to regular football on the left, where he would be in competition with Nacer Chadli, among others. It is unclear whether Lamela will start at Sunderland on Saturday.

"At Roma, he started on the left, then had a wonderful season on the right," Villas-Boas said. "At the moment, on the right is not going well for him so we have shifted him back to the left and that is where it is working better."

Lamela, who followed the sporting director, Franco Baldini, from Roma to Tottenham, has enjoyed positive moments in the Europa League for the club and he set up Paulinho's last-gasp winner at Cardiff City in the league. It is clear that he is blessed with touch and balance, and Villas-Boas also offered a reminder that he is only 21.

"It is going to take time," Villas-Boas said. "But he has all the technical abilities that we see of a great player so we have great belief in him. Now, he is together with his family and Christmas time is going to be a totally different experience for him as well. This will be a key moment to his life.

"We have been very careful with him and given him full support. It is a heavy price tag but one he deserved for what he did in Rome. I think we can nurture his full potential."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/07/andre-villas-boas-erik-lamela-tottenham

Back