• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

You can see he has skills, couple of times he did a quick shimmy past 1/2 players. Given time could be devastating.

Ironically I thought Lennon and Lamela were bright. Obviously not fantastic by any stretch, but they were not fundamentally the problem today. I would be happy for AVB to settle on these two and give them a period to stake those places. I'm talking the next 5 league games. Lets get the side settled.

Ironically I thought Lennon and Lamela were bright. Obviously not fantastic by any stretch, but they were not fundamentally the problem today. I would be happy for AVB to settle on these two and give them a period to stake those places. I'm talking the next 5 league games. Lets get the side settled.

The problem for me is that they both looked decent for certain periods, when they spent time on the right hand side.

Neither particularly did much sat out on the left.

I do like Lamela's attitude though, despite the horrific scoreline he was still trying to make things happen all through the match.

The problem for me is that they both looked decent for certain periods, when they spent time on the right hand side.

That's a fair point. Someone needs to make that left side role work. I don't mind when Lamela goes wandering from the left, ala Modric in our wonky 4-4-2 back in the day. I think this largely depends on playing Sandro AND Dembele or Capoue, so we have two midfielders who can cover and help our left back out. When you see Nasri, Aguero and Navas wander the pitch as they did today it does make me wish our players wouldn't be so rigid to their positions

It was a crying shame to see Paulinho on the ball, Lamela make a run and not recieve a pass. Instead, Paulinho holds on to it, turns backwards/sideways and plays a pass to totally nullify our attack. Dembele has been equally useless so far this season too. This is the big problem for Lamela and Soldado imo.

It was a crying shame to see Paulinho on the ball, Lamela make a run and not recieve a pass. Instead, Paulinho holds on to it, turns backwards/sideways and plays a pass to totally nullify our attack. Dembele has been equally useless so far this season too. This is the big problem for Lamela and Soldado imo.

Yep imagine we still had Modric and VdV. I know I need to stop looking backwards

I do like Lamela's attitude though, despite the horrific scoreline he was still trying to make things happen all through the match.

Agreed.

Obviously a dreadful game for Lamela to have his PL debut in, but his attitude looked good. Hopefully he'll get some more games soon and hopefully either on the right or through the middle.

Still waiting for someone to really make a real claim for that left wing spot. Would like to see Chadli return soon as I thought he looked promising there early on, and as I've said before it would be good to see Townsend out there for a few games to see what he can do.

Waiting for this kid to show why he is worth 30 million... WAITING... 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi ... 532 mississippi..

Waiting for this kid to show why he is worth 30 million... WAITING... 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi ... 532 mississippi..

£25.8m but whatever.
WE could say the same about Chiriches? 8.5m and cant get in the team ahead of Dawson and Kaboul?

£25.8m but whatever.
WE could say the same about Chiriches? 8.5m and cant get in the team ahead of Dawson and Kaboul?
He is in the team ahead of at least one of those 2. Most people believe Chiriches is the one who has adapted the best to English football from the transfers. He has missed the last game because he just got surgery on his nose...

not sure 30 million is his value...especially not at this moment

BUT i do think he is exactly the kind of player we need throughout our front 5

he was getting brushed off though by everyone.....this is a mans league the premier league

we shouldnt have started him, brought him on from the bench instead

hopefully his isnt affected and he is till getting more games for us

Remember that Bale guy? Team didn't win with him in the team for the longest streak... like 10-15 games or so.

We need to be patient with young prospects. In my view, Lamela was not purchased to fill the void left by Bale in an immediate sense. He's still learning the intricacies of the new league and he's dependent on his teammates linking up well with him, which is something that can't be blamed on a single individual (except maybe the manager).
I have a lot of faith in Lamela, but I also understand that he can't be expected to win games out of nothing for us... maybe by the end of next season :p

Remember that Bale guy? Team didn't win with him in the team for the longest streak... like 10-15 games or so.

We need to be patient with young prospects. In my view, Lamela was not purchased to fill the void left by Bale in an immediate sense. He's still learning the intricacies of the new league and he's dependent on his teammates linking up well with him, which is something that can't be blamed on a single individual (except maybe the manager).
I have a lot of faith in Lamela, but I also understand that he can't be expected to win games out of nothing for us... maybe by the end of next season :p

I think it was 21 games and the streak was only broken when HARRY REDKNAPP (oops!!) brought him on when we were 5-0 up.

Bale was sh*t hot from day one. We did not play badly on account of him but for sure Lamela's performance was a big reason why we lost 6-0.

Seen Lamela start two games so far and both times he has looked far better coming in off the right flank. First time i watched him vs Sheriff at home and the moment he went to the left he dissappeared. Seeing him popping up centrally shows where he is more comfortable so forcing him to the left is just a waste of time for all.

I'm not saying he is a flop... yet. I'm just waiting for the lad to show me he is not one, and would prefer if he does against bigger teams than Sheriff. By the way 533 mississippi ...

I'm not saying he is a flop... yet. I'm just waiting for the lad to show me he is not one, and would prefer if he does against bigger teams than Sheriff. By the way 533 mississippi ...

He's 21 he's had one league start.
We've a lot more to worry about at the club than a kid having a slow start.
Lets be honest the only reason any is commenting on him is because of the fee.
There's no impatient at Chadli thread.

He's 21 he's had one league start.
We've a lot more to worry about at the club than a kid having a slow start.
Lets be honest the only reason any is commenting on him is because of the fee.
There's no impatient at Chadli thread.
Yes, but that's the way it has always been, and it's the way it goes everywhere not just in football. You don't see a teacher blaming the slow kid for receiving a 5 mark, but when a smart kid receives a 5 he's parents are called in to discuss his weak performance.

Yes, but that's the way it has always been, and it's the way it goes everywhere not just in football. You don't see a teacher blaming the slow kid for receiving a 5 mark, but when a smart kid receives a 5 he's parents are called in to discuss his weak performance.

But you're suggesting Chadli is slower than Lamela because of the price tag.
The only reason Chadli was so cheap was he had one year left on his contract. Lamela came from a big club and had years to run on his. He would have been a lot cheaper if he was playing for Twente with year left.

With your metaphor its like a middle class kid's teacher calling his parents in but ignoring the poor kid in the class.

transfer fees have nothing to do with a players ability anymore, it's assumed potential multiplied by remaining contract

Back