• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Do you know we're all entitled to our own opinions on this site? i mean you do get that right?

Just as a lot claim AVB does this and that for this or that reason when they're defending him......my opinion is he doesn't rate Lamela (hence me saying "personally i think it's more to it then AVB simply being patient"). That's is my opinion and unlike most that blindly defend him and come up with lame excuses at every opportunity, i actually make points and back up my points as to what my reasoning is to think the way i do.

Did I say you're not entitled to your own opinions?

You claim that it's clear that AVB isn't even thinking about Lamela or his role in the future. A rather controversial statement I would say. I ask you a clarifying question about your opinion and ask if you think your supposedly close analysis will have to be reconsidered if you're wrong and I'm denying you your right to have an opinion?

Makes you seem utterly insecure in those opinions you claim with such certainty if you feel that is an attack on your right to hold it.

Asking you questions about your opinion, questioning your logic or analysis, criticizing your opinion, saying that I disagree, or even (as others have done) outright laughing at your opinions isn't the same as saying you're not entitled to hold that opinion. Nor is it an attack on your right to utter that opinion.

what the hell is going around here, we've got a thread about getting rid of a manager in his second season mid overhaul and now people are suggesting we get rid of a kid from another continent signed from a different league because he isn't the best player in the world 3 months later

when did everyone go mad, these things take time

sorry gale, but this is kind of wrong what you're saying.

who has said we should get rid of lamela? where did you read that? a quote is most definately necessary where someone has said "we should let lamela go" or that "we should get rid of lamela"

You genuinely believe we will sell one of the brightest prospects in world football after half a season and a handful of matches? You can't really believe 90% of the tripe you come out with..

you've taken a back stage on your level of promotion for lamela...a few weeks ago according to you he is the best young prospect in the world

What are our alternatives when it comes to players playing in the middle and "controlling everything"? Eriksen? he's done nothing since his first 2 games. Holtby? good player but the guy doesn't have much positional sense and goes roaming (usually away from the opposition goal) to find the ball leaving the striker isolated (even more then he currently is).

Its a tough sell but sandro has to play, and paulinho has to play IMO, he is the only centre mid that looks like a goal threat. then holtby or eriksen and lamela eventually on the right and siggy on the left

but here is the bit i didnt think i would be desperate to consider....against teams that we dont need to worry too much defensively about i would be willing to drop sandro as we dont need his defensive cover and have holtby for sure supplying eriksen with the ball

also verts not playing at CB is hampering things about

if lamela plays in the middle he is going to have waaaay too tough a time in there....for a start, who would supply him the ball quickly and effectively?

Last edited:

Did I say you're not entitled to your own opinions?

You claim that it's clear that AVB isn't even thinking about Lamela or his role in the future. A rather controversial statement I would say. I ask you a clarifying question about your opinion and ask if you think your supposedly close analysis will have to be reconsidered if you're wrong and I'm denying you your right to have an opinion?

Makes you seem utterly insecure in those opinions you claim with such certainty if you feel that is an attack on your right to hold it.

Asking you questions about your opinion, questioning your logic or analysis, criticizing your opinion, saying that I disagree, or even (as others have done) outright laughing at your opinions isn't the same as saying you're not entitled to hold that opinion. Nor is it an attack on your right to utter that opinion.

Managers can do strange things during 'panic mode' time so i could see a situation where we're on a terrible run and AVB gets desperate and starts him. Maybe if we have loads of injuries he might start him too....i dunno....i think he'll prefer to change formations personally.

sorry gale, but this is kind of wrong what you're saying.

who has said we should get rid of lamela? where did you read that? a quote is most definately necessary where someone has said "we should let lamela go" or that "we should get rid of lamela"

kingdawson said he wouldn't be surprised if we sold him and that it would be better for the player if we did

can't see post numbers on my phone or quote multiple posts I'm afraid

kingdawson said he wouldn't be surprised if we sold him and that it would be better for the player if we did

can't see post numbers on my phone or quote multiple posts I'm afraid

So who said "we should get rid of Lamela"?

It would be rather stupid if i said it being that i'm one of his biggest fans and want him to start wouldn't it.

So who said "we should get rid of Lamela"?

It would be rather stupid if i said it being that i'm one of his biggest fans and want him to start wouldn't it.

then I apologise, I read you saying it would be better as you countenancing it

i dont agree with you or jordinho one bit IF what you are saying is that you would rather someone stay in a country without getting games than go to a lesser league and get game sand keep match sharp.
that was the scenario i was implying for that hypothetical, throwing in a different hypothetical is something else. your hypothetical makes him staying here more worthwhile than leaving but your assumption of him getting game time may be valid but how can he be sure? he was probably sold the spurs project based on a presumption he would have played more by now...who knows. my thought would have been he was going to be drip fed games and minutes from the start till he was ready to start...thats actually gone in the opposite direction

and sometimes players need to get their confidence and game time up any which way possible. sometimes it might involve going to smaller leagues and tearing stuff up a changed and comeing back with a whole new mindset

Of course there are hypothetical situations where a player going out on loan abroad makes more sense than him staying. Of course it's not good for a player to stay around not playing football at the age Lamela is at now. I didn't really present a hypothetical, I presented my interpretation of what is going on now. If you want to discuss hypothetical situations (particularly extreme hypotheticals) I'm not all that interested, if you want to disagree about my guesses/assumptions about the current situation that's a lot more interesting.

We cannot be sure, he cannot be sure. But that in itself doesn't make a loan deal to Turkey a better option than staying.

its still a market and there is still a market value and there is a still a market trend. Bale's price distorts it when basing it on football qualities alone. but i would imagine that as a brand something ridiculously high was about right in todays market....not 86 milllion though. but you know what, i would say that bale had a market value and madrid needed to exceed that significantly for us to sell...because of what he had actually done

one thing i will say though, i dont think there was a market at that price...had real madrid not gotten involved there would have been at a different price

lamela's market value? i wouldnt have a chance of speculation cause i dont even know what he is about in a poor italian league......but i do know that whatever his valuation was is not that now...and he hasnt done much for us so speculation on his ability is at an all time low. he is worth less now then he was when we bought him in asset terms.

We should probably just leave this one, it's going way off topic and we're kinda back to the first point I made - what he's worth now to other clubs is a different issue to what we're willing to sell him for.

Managers can do strange things during 'panic mode' time so i could see a situation where we're on a terrible run and AVB gets desperate and starts him. Maybe if we have loads of injuries he might start him too....i dunno....i think he'll prefer to change formations personally.

But if he was introduced into the current formation without loads of injuries and becomes a regular you would be surprised?

have we turned into Emirates Marketing Project??? we buy players for massive sums and then start sending them out on loan.....wtf??

no we haven't, which is why this story will prove to be nonsense. but as it's a good piece to use to suit a viewpoint, no matter whether it's true or not, it's no wonder it's wound up on here

Personally I feel it is ludicrous to suggest we loan Lamela out in January.

Yes, he clearly hasn't fully settled to life in England yet and will be hopeful of playing for Argentina at the World Cup, but the solution to solve those problems should not be to let another club have him for five months, it is WE should play him.

I know he has hardly shone in the majority of his performances thus far for us but he has to get a go in the league sooner rather than later. Sigurdsson is a waste on the left wing in my book, he is too predictable from there. None of our central attacking midfielders have been great to Lamela could even play there. Ideally we play him on the right, his best position but I have a feeling AVB will persist with Andros there for now.

Could we do worse than start Lamela in some games? We have lost at home to West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and have scored just six goals from open play all season. We have a £30m player (our own club clearly valued Erik at this price) so why keep him on the bench when chasing a goal?

I really hope he gets a chance soon because otherwise he may become more disillusioned with life at the club.

Of course there are hypothetical situations where a player going out on loan abroad makes more sense than him staying. Of course it's not good for a player to stay around not playing football at the age Lamela is at now. I didn't really present a hypothetical, I presented my interpretation of what is going on now. If you want to discuss hypothetical situations (particularly extreme hypotheticals) I'm not all that interested, if you want to disagree about my guesses/assumptions about the current situation that's a lot more interesting.

We cannot be sure, he cannot be sure. But that in itself doesn't make a loan deal to Turkey a better option than staying.

:lol:

so why did you get involved in the hypothetical scenario i put out to jordinho? did you actually read the development of what we were saying before you hurriedly disagreed with something i never said?

jordinho and i were talking in hypotheticals , you were talking of reality, of course in reality he shouldnt go on loan if he is going to get games here. is anyone arguing against that? Nope

NOBODY knows what, or how, his development is (or isn't) going…I have said from day 1 I believe he will absolutely be a great player in the hole but not this season as we have not yet developed a way of stretching the pitch (and probably won't until we get Rose/speedy LB)…I've said for ages that it would be tough on the kid to shove him in there right now, and that we'd be better off playing Sig in the hole and having Lamela come in from a wide position. I'd like to see Townsend or Lennon on the left and Lamela on the right…IF he was more confident shooting, I'd have him on the left…but again, I'm sure he's getting a slow phase-in due to things we cannot possibly know…he will absolutely have a role to play in the second-half of the season.

The other interesting thing to ponder is how much of a Baldini vs AVB signing he is? Baldini is a DoF. I wonder if the thought (long-term) is that if AVB does move on at the end of the season/following season, the incoming will have a ready-made precocious class talent to work with?

As someone said on here earlier, Baldini should know him as well as anyone in football. Ardiles (his Argentinian compatriot) has also said he is going to be a fantastic signing for us. That being the case, (and with Eriksen out injured for the foreseeable future) and us struggling for any cohesion up front, surely we now have to introduce Lamela and give him a run in the side.

I tend to agree with you that it would be best to start him out wide (as we did with Luka) to give him a bit more time and space to adjust. With other teams concentrating on Townsend, I would start him on he left but try and get him and Townsend to swap intermittently and also interchange with Holtby or Sig in the no. 10 position. Hopefully this will add to our fluidity and increase our attacking potency. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

As someone said on here earlier, Baldini should know him as well as anyone in football. Ardiles (his Argentinian compatriot) has also said he is going to be a fantastic signing for us. That being the case, (and with Eriksen out injured for the foreseeable future) and us struggling for any cohesion up front, surely we now have to introduce Lamela and give him a run in the side.

I tend to agree with you that it would be best to start him out wide (as we did with Luka) to give him a bit more time and space to adjust. With other teams concentrating on Townsend, I would start him on he left but try and get him and Townsend to swap intermittently and also interchange with Holtby or Sig in the no. 10 position. Hopefully this will add to our fluidity and increase our attacking potency. Fingers crossed.

Indeed, I'd love to see the boy playing more...

Back