• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Crazy not to play him today. It could set him back to square one. Worried !

i think he had more space, he had more of the ball, and he seemed to understand his teammates movements a bit more.

i'm not sure if you're saying yes or no to the question

so you dont think it was a confidence issue then before? you just think he played badly / average in those games

jeez wow, even i thought he was having a crisis of the soul.

give the kid a bit of rope to escape....maybe a language barrier then? cause if your saying that those performances were just him playing his game to the level he can on that given night......i shudder to think what that means

and one of the things i liked about him from the beginning was his ability to find space on the field. i dont think that was a problem for him..and it shouldnt be too much i would hope cause the premiership doesnt allow space for free

you cant be serious. he played his best 90 mins in a spurs shirt.......after a string of sub par performances and you want to start him straight away?

why not bring him on at half time or at 60 minutes?

i could have sworn we had this discussion a few months back and you made it seem like there were more than a few that could do it. which i obviously disagreed with...it could have been someone else but my spidey sense is tingling

Could very well have been me. I think we have players capable of doing that in Paulinho, Capoue, Vertonghen, Vlad, (previously BAE), potentially Eriksen and Sig as well as Chadli. They haven't so far though, part of my point about this moment in time compared to a line-up being potentially good in the future.

that means that previously when he played crap or average then that was all him and just in game circumstances and nothing to do with adaptation to surroundings or his confidence.

and i'm not 12 btw, i dont believe sound bites from the media. i leave that to people that the papers and marketing departments aim / focus their energy on.

example terry, prior to the lip read, said he didnt call anton anything. harry redknapp says he cant read. it made the papers...it must be true.

not saying this is a lie , just that a clipping wont sway visual evidence.

an example of a mentally strong mind is sandro and another one is oscar.......both have actually gotten better but from the moment they started they were involved , constantly on the go and never seemed to shirk under the competition. rooney is another

you can tell a mentally tough mind when you see one. i havent seen that yet in lamela...in fact i saw the opposite

which is why i think he should be introduced...not thrown into games that matter from the start. let him ride his confidence in a scenario that he can help without feeling the weight of it all. can you imagine the amount of pressure if this POSSIBLY long term PROJECT has to go out there from the start and every touch of his the whole fans are watching waiting for him to be the messiah off the back of what he did to some back water team from moldova? people like you could set him back

his confidence is clearly higher than it was previously.....treat it like a condition and nurse it to full health

Can you clarify how his quote about his price tag not hindering him settling in means that he doesn't have to settle in or adapt to his surroundings? To me he is saying that his price tag is not hindering him settling in, but that he still needs to adjust, adapt, get used to the league, the country and the team. Just that he doesn't see the price tag as a big part of that challenge as he's successfully dealt with this before.

He seems tough enough to me. Always looking for the ball, looking to play a creative forward pass, hasn't let his head drop by the lack of game time or things not always going his way on the pitch. Gets fouled quite a bit, but just gets up again and keeps playing. Was clearly fouled in the area in the first half against Sheriff, should have had a pen, but didn't get it. Would have been easy for him to let that frustrate him as once again things weren't going his way. He didn't though, just kept going, kept looking for the ball and the pass

but they actually did

chadli, paulinho and even soldado and erkisen all try to do what they do. they will get better but even when it didnt work out they all still play their own actual game

i'm suprised that you have paulinho in there as he has pretty much been one of the players of the season? chadli has actually been playing well and solid..isnt he injured?

we all know why soldado isnt being this scoring machine...something that ****es me off with both coaching and scouting staff...someone needs to answer for whats happening with him

I think all our signings have shown little glimpses of their talent. Eriksen had a great debut, but since only the odd flash of something similar. Chadli has been in and out, Lamela has shown the odd moment of real quality.

Paulinho i think has done well, but there are plenty of fans already labelling him the new Jenas so not everyone is impressed. Even with him, I think there is much more to come. More goals and contributions to attacks. I actually feel he is being overplayed and needs a rest and after that we will see more from him

Agree about Soldado, but his lack of success could be labelled as him being fragile mentally and not adapting to a new league instead of the way we play being blamed

If we need a goal throughout the second half today and he remains an unused sub I'll be a bit worried. No big deal not starting him directly today, but he has done enough to be thought of as one of the first subs we should look to I think.

i'm not sure if you're saying yes or no to the question

so you dont think it was a confidence issue then before? you just think he played badly / average in those games

jeez wow, even i thought he was having a crisis of the soul.

give the kid a bit of rope to escape....maybe a language barrier then? cause if your saying that those performances were just him playing his game to the level he can on that given night......i shudder to think what that means

and one of the things i liked about him from the beginning was his ability to find space on the field. i dont think that was a problem for him..and it shouldnt be too much i would hope cause the premiership doesnt allow space for free

you said he was fragile mentally....i dont think that was the right thing to say. Crisis of the soul???

you cant be serious. he played his best 90 mins in a spurs shirt.......after a string of sub par performances and you want to start him straight away?

why not bring him on at half time or at 60 minutes?

AS our alternatives in the AM position are 2 players that have produced next to nothing for a while. You don't think it would be an ideal game to start him?

Could very well have been me. I think we have players capable of doing that in Paulinho, Capoue, Vertonghen, Vlad, (previously BAE), potentially Eriksen and Sig as well as Chadli. They haven't so far though, part of my point about this moment in time compared to a line-up being potentially good in the future.

Can you clarify how his quote about his price tag not hindering him settling in means that he doesn't have to settle in or adapt to his surroundings? To me he is saying that his price tag is not hindering him settling in, but that he still needs to adjust, adapt, get used to the league, the country and the team. Just that he doesn't see the price tag as a big part of that challenge as he's successfully dealt with this before.

He seems tough enough to me. Always looking for the ball, looking to play a creative forward pass, hasn't let his head drop by the lack of game time or things not always going his way on the pitch. Gets fouled quite a bit, but just gets up again and keeps playing. Was clearly fouled in the area in the first half against Sheriff, should have had a pen, but didn't get it. Would have been easy for him to let that frustrate him as once again things weren't going his way. He didn't though, just kept going, kept looking for the ball and the pass

no the bold part isnt to do with his adapting to the league. i'm actually ignoring the price tag comment and just focusing on the idea that indianspur is saying that what we have seen bar the sherriff game is the best he could offer us given those circumstances in-game. essentially that there is nothing mental stopping him from doing what he allegedly could do for fun

notice how some young players need time to adapt and its a roll of the dice how they come out the other end and others just get the **** done like professionals from the off.

it seemed to me that lamela was playing within himself.......i even said so as much after the first game,,...he played a safe efficient and solid team game and would grow from that..but the idea that what he did there was what he is all about doesnt seem true to me...certain players even when they are adpating still play their game..coutinho for instance

lamela doesnt seemed to have been playing his game..and infact to a degree his performances actually got worse. the sheriff game was actually the anomaly since he has arrived in the trend. i chose to believe it was a confidence issue

AS our alternatives in the AM position are 2 players that have produced next to nothing for a while. You don't think it would be an ideal game to start him?

nope not start, based on the way AVB sets up the team, it would take a messi / zidane-esq type player / performance to FORCE the creativity in there. i dont think lamela is ready for that kind of pressure yet. i just think he needs more time enjoying the fact that he is playing well and making a difference to a scenario that is not his own doing.

right now our issues is more to do with AVB and what i am guessing are his instructions

the players we have now should be right in there tearing into Saudi Sportswashing Machine..do we not have considerable better players than them? why rely heavily on this kid...he hasnt shown he is ready to take it all on outside of one game....againt the sherrif, but not the deputy

you said he was fragile mentally....i dont think that was the right thing to say. Crisis of the soul???

crisis of the soul, confidence, home sick, age whatever......there is just something more , MUCH more, going on as to why he hasnt shown what he did against sherriff that just the idea he is getting used to his team mates and had more space

edit:- wait sorry, you still havent answered the question :lol:

no not the new country...the league and physicality of it and the pace...some people take that on in their stride and it doesnt phase their performance or what they attempt to do even if it doesnt work out. others shirk and just curb inward and play cautious and are careful with most things they do

you're telling me that you didnt think that lamela had a confidence issue until his recent game against moldova?

answer to your question?.....new league, new country, id say yes he felt a bit nervous and needed time to build his confidence to his new surroundings. But that doesnt equate to me that he is fragile mentally

no the bold part isnt to do with his adapting to the league. i'm actually ignoring the price tag comment and just focusing on the idea that indianspur is saying that what we have seen bar the sherriff game is the best he could offer us given those circumstances in-game. essentially that there is nothing mental stopping him from doing what he allegedly could do for fun

notice how some young players need time to adapt and its a roll of the dice how they come out the other end and others just get the **** done like professionals from the off.

it seemed to me that lamela was playing within himself.......i even said so as much after the first game,,...he played a safe efficient and solid team game and would grow from that..but the idea that what he did there was what he is all about doesnt seem true to me...certain players even when they are adpating still play their game..coutinho for instance

lamela doesnt seemed to have been playing his game..and infact to a degree his performances actually got worse. the sheriff game was actually the anomaly since he has arrived in the trend. i chose to believe it was a confidence issue

I was under the impression that your post was regarding the bolded bit in the post you quoted.

Obviously confidence will play a big part for young players. No doubting that. Just not sure how much you can read into someone's mental toughness based on a short run of games where that player may or may not be confident and is still adapting to the country, league and team.

I really don't understand why you picked Coutinho as your example considering that he flopped in Italy.

I don't think Lamela has been playing "within himself" as such, he's been looking for the ball, he's been trying to make things happen. He's been playing his game as you say it.

I was under the impression that your post was regarding the bolded bit in the post you quoted.

Obviously confidence will play a big part for young players. No doubting that. Just not sure how much you can read into someone's mental toughness based on a short run of games where that player may or may not be confident and is still adapting to the country, league and team.

I really don't understand why you picked Coutinho as your example considering that he flopped in Italy.

I don't think Lamela has been playing "within himself" as such, he's been looking for the ball, he's been trying to make things happen. He's been playing his game as you say it.

its funny you say he flooped in italy, yet when he came here he probably played the same game he plays in italy and anywhere else whether it came off or not

IF you are saying that lamela has been playing his game and what we have seen so far is what he is about then based on that comment alone....taking nothing else into account, but just yuour comment...i wouldnt rate highly at all.

i'm more than leaning towards the nerves aspect , as indianspur clarified, and confidence issue that would hinder an alleged super talent from actually demonstrating the areas that make him a super talent. the alternative doesnt bear thinking about

its funny you say he flooped in italy, yet when he came here he probably played the same game he plays in italy and anywhere else whether it came off or not

IF you are saying that lamela has been playing his game and what we have seen so far is what he is about then based on that comment alone....taking nothing else into account, but just yuour comment...i wouldnt rate highly at all.

i'm more than leaning towards the nerves aspect , as indianspur clarified, and confidence issue that would hinder an alleged super talent from actually demonstrating the areas that make him a super talent. the alternative doesnt bear thinking about

For Coutinho you're talking about him playing his game whether it came off or not. This to me is what Lamela has been doing. Take the Anzhi away game, by many people's opinion his worst game in a Spurs shirt. What was the problem? Him hiding? Him not trying? Not from what I could see and remember, the problem people were having was that he was giving the ball away too much. Why was he doing that? Because he was getting on the ball and he was trying to make purposeful forward passes and quite a few of them weren't working out.

Or perhaps we use "playing his game" differently? I'm not saying that what he's been doing so far accurately reflects his overall ability if that's how you're reading me. Just that to me he looks fairly tough mentally in that he keeps trying and he trusts his own ability (something his comments also have reflected). I'm not saying that nerves and confidence hasn't played a part.

Before we start moving in circles, would you mind clarifying what it is about him that makes you think that he's not strong mentally?

Oh come there was no reason to put on Defoe other than to stop all the idiots in media afterwards wondering why he doesnt put on Defoe.

Agreed. This game in the last 30 mjns was crying for someone like Lamela.
And we put on JD. Did he even do anything.

Back