• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Promising signs from the young Argentinian. The goal is good, the assist for the penalty is good, but more importantly for me he takes a bit of a battering at times yet he still gets up and just keeps going at it.

Would be tempted to start him at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, if only to try and capitalise on the current wave of confidence he is probably feeling after a man of the match performance and his first goal at a new club.

The challenge would be where to fit him in though. Currently Townsend has made the right hand side his own, and deservedly so. The place most up for grabs at the moment in my view is the AM position, as Erikson after a good start has spluttered and stalled and whilst Holtby has the bustle to hassle and chase teams he has been a bit lacking with the ball at his feet.

Will be an interesting one to watch develop though, as when he does start showing these signs a bit more consistently he will be a marked man, just as Bale was at times.

Last edited:

Promising signs from the young Argentinian. The goal is good, the assist for the penalty is good, but more importantly for me he takes a bit of a battering at times yet he still gets up and just keeps going at it.

Would be tempted to start him at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, if only to try and capitalise on the current wave of confidence he is probably feeling after a man of the match performance and his first goal at a new club.

The challenge would be where to fit him in though. Currently Townsend has made the right hand side his own, and deservedly so. The place most up for grabs at the moment in my view is the AM position, as Erikson after a good start has spluttered and stalled and whilst Holtby has the bustle to hassle and chase teams he has been a bit lacking with the ball at his feet.

No doubt Townsend's desire and ability to beat players is incredible, but I don't think the right wing position should be his own until he stops shooting so much and / or has a better to shots-goals ratio (currently standing at infinity for the PL season).

No doubt Townsend's desire and ability to beat players is incredible, but I don't think the right wing position should be his own until he stops shooting so much and / or has a better to shots-goals ratio (currently standing at infinity for the PL season).

Looking at the players we have had this season i would be far more confident with trying an attacking three of:

Siggy-----Lamela------Townsend

Than i would be with

Townsend------Eriksen/Holtby-------Lamela

That central player has to be the one to knit our attacking player together, and neither Holtby nor Eriksen are currently giving me confidence in that regard.

Looking at the players we have had this season i would be far more confident with trying an attacking three of:

Siggy-----Lamela------Townsend

Than i would be with

Townsend------Eriksen/Holtby-------Lamela

That central player has to be the one to knit our attacking player together, and neither Holtby nor Eriksen are currently giving me confidence in that regard.

I agree regarding Holtby and Eriksen. But a) I think if Lamela starts he should start in the same position that he excelled in last time out - makes sense to build on that performance rather than move him somewhere new after finally having a really good game on the right. And b) I think one of our biggest problems this season is having both wide players inverted - having Andros on the left would allow us to get behind teams more and get more and quicker crosses in to Soldado.

I'd be comfortable with persevering with Holtby for now in the no.10 role - his form hasn't been great, but at least the second trio has a really nice balance to it IMO. (And I think Soldado would prefer to play in front of them too).

I agree regarding Holtby and Eriksen. But a) I think if Lamela starts he should start in the same position that he excelled in last time out - makes sense to build on that performance rather than move him somewhere new after finally having a really good game on the right. And b) I think one of our biggest problems this season is having both wide players inverted - having Andros on the left would allow us to get behind teams more and get more and quicker crosses in to Soldado.

I'd be comfortable with persevering with Holtby for now in the no.10 role - his form hasn't been great, but at least the second trio has a really nice balance to it IMO. (And I think Soldado would prefer to play in front of them too).

I would disagree with that being our biggest problem, the problem is width not being provided by the left back. Playing with two inverted wingers can work fine.

My biggest issue with the second trio is the lack of goals. Siggy has shown he has an eye for it, but out of the second trio how many Premier league goals have they actually scored this season? Townsend has one, Eriksen has zero, Holtby has zero and Lamela has zero.

Siggy has three times more goals than the four of them. Granted it's not a massive sample size, but to bench our most prolific midfielder would not make a jot of sense to me when we're struggling for goals.

I would disagree with that being our biggest problem, the problem is width not being provided by the left back. Playing with two inverted wingers can work fine.

My biggest issue with the second trio is the lack of goals. Siggy has shown he has an eye for it, but out of the second trio how many Premier league goals have they actually scored this season? Townsend has one, Eriksen has zero, Holtby has zero and Lamela has zero.

Siggy has three times more goals than the four of them. Granted it's not a massive sample size, but to bench our most prolific midfielder would not make a jot of sense to me when we're struggling for goals.

I just said it was one of our biggest problems - there are certainly more than one!

Anyway, I think playing with two inverted wingers can work fine if your attacking players have enough quality to be creative in tight spaces, but I don't think ours currently do.

And it's an interesting conundrum - yes the former setup looks like it definitely has more goals from the attacking trio, but it also looks like it definitely has less goals for Soldado. Townsend on the right and Siggy on the left will score more goals, but Holtby in the middle and Townsend on the left will provide more goals for Soldado. Given that we spent £25m on a fox in the box and apparently have no desire to involve Adebayor, I think it makes sense to set the team up to play to that £25m player's strengths.

Could always play Siggy in his traditionally natural no.10 position - he had a very good goalscoring record there for Swansea.

Last edited:

I just said it was one of our biggest problems - there are certainly more than one!

Anyway, I think playing with two inverted wingers can work fine if your attacking players have enough quality to be creative in tight spaces, but I don't think ours currently do.

And it's an interesting conundrum - yes the former setup looks like it definitely has more goals from the attacking trio, but it also looks like it definitely has less goals for Soldado. Townsend on the right and Siggy on the left will score more goals, but Holtby in the middle and Townsend on the left will provide more goals for Soldado. Given that we spent £25m on a fox in the box and apparently have no desire to involve Adebayor, I think it makes sense to set the team up to play to that £25m player's strengths.

Could always play Siggy in his traditionally natural no.10 position - he had a very good goalscoring record there for Swansea.

I disagree with this. Townsend crosses the ball on both sides, he is two footed, i don't think it will make a difference for Soldado which side he is on. Holtby is more hustle than creation, i think Lamela would be better suited to get the best out of Soldado, he seems more about intricate runs and committing defenders.

We should play to the teams strengths, however much we spent on Soldado we should do what is more likely to make Spurs score than make Soldado score. With Lamela/Sig we would have the creativity to help Soldado, Townsend would commit defenders on his side and Sig would also contribute to the goals.

If anything i would be happier to play Holtby deep beside Paulinho, to try and speed up our passing at the base of the midfield.

I agree we should build the team around Soldado more and that for me means re-creating AVB's Porto set-up that was essentially designed to provide service to Falcao.

…………………………Soldado

Townsend………….Holtby………….Lamela

For me just now. Townsend can go on the outside and get crosses in. Holtby can provide through-balls and work-rate to press high up the pitch. Lamela can cut and drift inside and provide the X-factor.

For me Lamela is the key to our breaking down stubborn defences. He seems to me to be one of those players that doesn't even know himself what he is going to do sometimes. Townsend and even Bale are quite predictable players really. You know exactly what they are going to do, they are going to be in the same position, they are going to get the ball in the same areas, they are going to try and beat you for pace, cut inside and shoot. The difficulty is stopping them obviously which especially in Bale's case was pretty difficult.

Lamela on the other hand, he sometimes receives the ball on the right, but he drifts inside, and gos for one-twos and runs into the box to get on the end of things, he can take you on the outside, he can go inside, he can knock the ball past you and run after it, or he can hug it close to him feinting this way and that and moving the ball around between both of his feet. He doesn't go for the shot most times, he passes, crosses, shoots or dribbles depending on whatever his instinct is at the time.

The last time we had a player this unpredictable was Robbie Keane and he was the key to some of our great attacking displays because defences didn't know where he was going to pop up on the pitch and then what he was going to do when he was on the ball.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

You submitted your questions yesterday for @Coco_Lamela. His answers coming up next..

BYnwqTrCQAE2Boc.jpg

'could you hear us singing your name last night (Thurs)?' (#AlwaysTakeLamelaWithYou)

'I heard something, I knew something was going on but I couldn’t quite understand it. I haven’t heard that song but I'll look it up'

'How did it feel to score last night Erik?'

'It felt great. I feel good because we won but also because I am settling in'

'Who do you think deserves to win the ballon d'or 2013?'

'I'd give it to Messi'

'How is his family doing in London now?'

'It's going well. They don't know the language but we will start learning it little by little'

'How good is your English now?'

'I'm learning as I go and when I have lessons after training as well'

'how is the football different from Italy to England?'

'Yes, it's different. Serie A is more tactical and calmer but here is a more vertical style'

'who is ur best pal in the team?'

'Well, @R9Soldado as he speaks my language but @Knaughts88 @KyleWalker2 @sandroraniere. Everyone really'

'Felicidades Erik! Who is your biggest Argentinian footballing idol?'

'Messi and Aguero'

'best thing about living in london?'

'I like Central London. I like to walk with my family around Piccadilly area and other parts of the city'

'Can you say 'Come On You Spurs' in your native language?'

https://soundcloud.com/spursofficial/come-on-you-spurs

I disagree with this. Townsend crosses the ball on both sides, he is two footed, i don't think it will make a difference for Soldado which side he is on. Holtby is more hustle than creation, i think Lamela would be better suited to get the best out of Soldado, he seems more about intricate runs and committing defenders.

We should play to the teams strengths, however much we spent on Soldado we should do what is more likely to make Spurs score than make Soldado score. With Lamela/Sig we would have the creativity to help Soldado, Townsend would commit defenders on his side and Sig would also contribute to the goals.

If anything i would be happier to play Holtby deep beside Paulinho, to try and speed up our passing at the base of the midfield.

Townsend's left foot is his stronger foot, so when he plays on the right he is bound to cut in more than he goes on the outside, which is why he's had more shots this season than any other PL player. If he plays on the left the pendulum should swing more towards crosses than shots.

I agree that Lamela can help get the best out of Soldado, but in the second option in your original post Lamela is still playing.

I agree that it's about the team, which is why I think we should have a break from Townsend on the right - he's not scoring or creating goals, and isn't much of a team player.

I agree with trying Holtby in a deeper position too.

With Siggy on the left and Townsend on the right, both are more likely to take long-range shots than to work good chances in the box. And we need some width to stretch teams horizontally and vertically (I'm coming round to this pretentious-sounding terminology!) If you want to play Siggy on the left and Lamela in the middle (the latter of which I still disagree with for the next game), I'd rather see Lennon on the right to stretch teams, get behind teams and get some crosses in to Soldado.

We have looked poor at scoring goals all season, and your first-choice trio only changes one thing - Lamela in no.10 - and I think the problems go deeper than that.

The last time we had a player this unpredictable was Robbie Keane and he was the key to some of our great attacking displays

Confession: I had never heard of Lamela before we bought him, and I don't dare to dream that Lamela could be of Keane's quality....but if he is anywhere near that, whew, it would be absolutely wonderful. People who know the player: how good might he be for us?

The last time we had a player this unpredictable was Robbie Keane and he was the key to some of our great attacking displays

Confession: I had never heard of Lamela before we bought him, and I don't dare to dream that Lamela could be of Keane's quality....but if he is anywhere near that, whew, it would be absolutely wonderful. People who know the player: how good might he be for us?

better than Keane.

Yeah this kid has the ability to much better than Keane..

Also, certainly in the 2nd half against Sheriff, Lamela went on the outside a couple of times so that does suggest he can mix it up from that side too.

i think Lamela has the most potential from our current lot - and that's saying a lot.

We got a glimpse of the Lamela I know on Thrusday, I just cant wait until we get the full package

[video=youtube;afOofA-9scY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOofA-9scY[/video]

We got a glimpse of the Lamela I know on Thrusday, I just cant wait until we get the full package

[video=youtube;afOofA-9scY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOofA-9scY[/video]

Had to go and watch every Totti highlight ever(again) after this. So good.

Nice to see someone with the ability to transport the ball in the right direction of the pitch. I'm hoping we're starting with Townsend and Lamela tomorrow.

Back