• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

If you replace Lamela for Bale and 30m for 85m some of the posts on this forum about Lamela wouldn't look out of place in the Bale thread as examples of how impatient Real Madrid fans are... (Not aimed at anyone I quoted in this post)

Do we think Lamela and his dad came to Spurs to play as an inverted winger? I very seriously doubt it.

Why not? It's how he made his name in Italy and it's where he's been playing at his best for Roma wasn't it?

“My moment will come and I will make the difference,”

****ing love that quote.

Agreed. Seems to have a good attitude. Kept going for 120 minutes in the league cup. Seems to get up again after being fouled and just get on with it.

Don't disagree with giving him time but when Bale first played for us you could see he was something special. High confidence and just superb speed, touch and awareness of space. I remember him playing early on at Old Trafford and being great.

He looked very promising in that first game against United. But he didn't show a great touch or awareness of space consistently at first and not until he was well established in the first team. Even then his awareness of space wasn't really a great strength of his.

He looked very promising in that first game against United. But he didn't show a great touch or awareness of space consistently at first and not until he was well established in the first team. Even then his awareness of space wasn't really a great strength of his.

I remember him using space very well when he dribbled that game, taking on multiple men and getting out the other side. He also looked very intelligent in his use of the ball. Don't know how it wasn't a strength of his (but I don't have access to the the Great Book of Football Facts like you ;-) considering the times he would blow defenders away through sheer pace, knock the ball the perfect distance away from them and him and burn them up. I didn't mean use space as being good in tight spaces, I meant when he had space in front of him he would make the complete most of it. Fair enough if you didn't see anything very special there, I'm sure a lot of people did.

The 20 game losing streak didn't have much to do with him (not aiming this at you BC), when things were really falling apart (I think under Ramos) he had a handful of poor games at LB. A game away at Fulham stands out as very bad. Generally though he always looked like a top player and I think that was reflected in this forum. I really can't remember that many (or maybe any) people wanting to sell him. Certainly not anywhere near as many as you would think given the amount of times it is used to justify giving a player time. It just makes a good story, the papers like saying we almost sold him to someone ****, can't remember who. Did we really?

His first year he was superb until the injury. He then come back into the team and was awful, not sure if injuries were playing on his mind or not but he wasnt the same explosive excitement that we saw, it's a testament to him that he managed to turn his career around.

Wasn't he being slated and the obsession with his air being targeted? Unlike Torres, the haircut gave him strength :lol:

Why not? It's how he made his name in Italy and it's where he's been playing at his best for Roma wasn't it?.

That's not the full story - he had impossible competition for No. 10 at Roma from you-know-who, which is why he moved wide. Before that, he actually made his name in Argentina at No. 10.

good lad =D>

really hope he succeeds

Yeah me too. I really was hoping he'd bang the winner in against Hull in the cup... would have done wonders for his confidence.

I would have also [kevin keegan]loved it, absolutely LOVED IT[/keegan[ if he had indeed got that goal, so he could have shoved the spiteful, disrespectful commentary of that absolute five star pri*K Jon Champion straight back up his gloating, agenda-driven, biased a**e. I thought he was a disgrace... "that wasn't the touch of a 30 million pound player", "he's the one to let his team down", etc... give the kid a break!!

Lamela will come good, I'm sure of it. Kid has got class. I'm gonna enjoy knowing scum bags like Champion will have to uncomfortably eat their words when he does.

People have no patience...
Can't compare Lamela to Dempsey since Dempsey was an established PL player for many years and is almost 10 years his senior.

Once he starts actually performing, then you guys can slate him for being **** again (if that happens).

Yeah me too. I really was hoping he'd bang the winner in against Hull in the cup... would have done wonders for his confidence.

I would have also [kevin keegan]loved it, absolutely LOVED IT[/keegan[ if he had indeed got that goal, so he could have shoved the spiteful, disrespectful commentary of that absolute five star pri*K Jon Champion straight back up his gloating, agenda-driven, biased a**e. I thought he was a disgrace... "that wasn't the touch of a 30 million pound player", "he's the one to let his team down", etc... give the kid a break!!

Lamela will come good, I'm sure of it. Kid has got class. I'm gonna enjoy knowing scum bags like Champion will have to uncomfortably eat their words when he does.

John Champion was an absolute disgrace in Weds. Horrid commentary.

Remember how long Tevez took to adapt when he first came over to England, he didn't do anything until the final month or so of the season.

as someone who has played the pes games for many years I can confirm that his commentary is always horrid.....give me Jonathan pearce over him any day of the week.

Remember how long Tevez took to adapt when he first came over to England, he didn't do anything until the final month or so of the season.

true.....better a flower to bloom slowly rather than a magnificent rose that wilts away before your very eyes far too quickly.

Tevez and Masch were always gonna make it imo as I had seen them for the argie team before the spam move.....cant say the same about Lamela though..... lets all hope he is playing like messi in a few months.

I have no doubt about Lamela's ability.
I have though repeatedly questioned AVB's way of dealing with him. This drip feeding, approach of cameo appearances in which he is not able to get into the game and therefore appears somewhat peripheral has, i think, sapped his confidence. It is SO difficult for a player to come on and change a game in 20 mins. I think AVB should have started him more in the Prem from the time he arrived. When he came on against **** he looked (I thought) really confident. Now, he looks like a rabbit in headlights and the pen miss on Wednesday isnt going to help things.
If i was AVB I'd bite the bullet, start him against Everton and for the next few Prem games thereafter. He's a talented lad. Let him show us.
No doubt many will say 'yeah but if he is played before he's ready, that'll knock his confidence' - sorry, I disagree - he'll get more confidence from being picked each week and playing, regardless of whether he's playing to the top of his potential rather than short cameos and appearances in the Capital One Cup and Europa League.
I disagreed with how AVB dealt with Lloris on his arrival (refusing initially to drop Brad) and am happy to say I was wrong and AVB was right. But as regards Lamela, I think we're at the turning point. Play him on Sunday and for the next few games otherwise this kid is going to be really lacking in confidence.

You're right - I'm not like a Liverpool fan who thinks the world is against him, but the commentator on Wednesday was willing it to go wrong for Lamela every time he was near the ball. Most of the papers reported the next day that he played ok and that he had some moments of class. That was lost on John Champion.

I have though repeatedly questioned AVB's way of dealing with him. This drip feeding, approach of cameo appearances in which he is not able to get into the game and therefore appears somewhat peripheral has, i think, sapped his confidence. It is SO difficult for a player to come on and change a game in 20 mins. I think AVB should have started him more in the Prem from the time he arrived. When he came on against **** he looked (I thought) really confident. Now, he looks like a rabbit in headlights and the pen miss on Wednesday isnt going to help things.
If i was AVB I'd bite the bullet, start him against Everton and for the next few Prem games thereafter. He's a talented lad. Let him show us.
No doubt many will say 'yeah but if he is played before he's ready, that'll knock his confidence' - sorry, I disagree - he'll get more confidence from being picked each week and playing, regardless of whether he's playing to the top of his potential rather than short cameos and appearances in the Capital One Cup and Europa League.
I disagreed with how AVB dealt with Lloris on his arrival (refusing initially to drop Brad) and am happy to say I was wrong and AVB was right. But as regards Lamela, I think we're at the turning point. Play him on Sunday and for the next few games otherwise this kid is going to be really lacking in confidence.

I'm with you - I'd start getting him in there around now.

However, I don't think AVB has been off-track so far in how he's handled Lamela. By Lamela's own admission he's found settling in and the pace of the games tough, so I think he's cool with AVB's approach.

Agree with these sentiments . Not sure you were wrong on Lloris. There is no evidence that starting him earlier would have hurt him. On the contrary he may have earned the 1 point we needed to come 4th.

Cannot be right to keep playing inferior players.

We don't have the benefit of seeing what goes on in training - there could be all sorts of stuff going on which makes starting Townsend the better choice right now - Bottom line is we have to get results and the manager has to juggle that with bedding in several new faces - i can't imagine it's an easy task.

We have options in the attacking midfield/wing positions - would be crazy not to use them, judging by the quotes in The Standard yesterday Lamela himself seems to understand (and agree?) the decision - not so sure there's much to grumble about really

Back