• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I thought he looked a classy player. Would love to see him, beat a few men and blast one in the corner, that may come with confidence, but he looks he could be a Nasri,Pires type player atm.

totally agree colin.........nailed on to come on and score the winner on sunday[-o<

I thought he played better today, He is clearly low in confidence and by playing out wide on the wing he kind of drifts out the game. He needs to be playing much more centrally as he has a good touch and close control. He doesn't have the confidence to take on his man at the moment. I think he needs to play off the front man either in a front three or as a withdrawn striker, where he can't hide, as most of our play is through the middle anyway. He will get more touches and more confidence.

He really is not a winger or a wide midfielder, he is a dribbler in tight positions, is the one who could unlock soldado!!!! if you get what I mean?

lamela looks the type who will thrive in the thick of action. he is fabulous in providing a clean pass at an unexpected angle to give the receiver an advantage over his marker.

to take advantage of this the ball needs to be fed to lamela quickly...when everyone is on the move, not at a pedestrian pace with everyone watching and waiting.

i liked what I saw tonight and can see AVB asking him to move in from wings gradually/progressively to wean him into the game.

lamela looks the type who will thrive in the thick of action. he is fabulous in providing a clean pass at an unexpected angle to give the receiver an advantage over his marker.

to take advantage of this the ball needs to be fed to lamela quickly...when everyone is on the move, not at a pedestrian pace with everyone watching and waiting.

i liked what I saw tonight and can see AVB asking him to move in from wings gradually/progressively to wean him into the game.

Agreed....He looks much more better away from the touch....I think Holtby or Eriksson with Lamela and Soldado would suit the way AVB wants to play which is through the middle. The wide men seem to be used to stretch the opposition....not for crossing....we hardly ever cross the ball....it goes wide and then back inside to the centre. The fullbacks are used to open up the congested centre outside the box.

Siggy is important as he is the best long range shooter in the squad followed by townsend. The way we play we need 3 up front, otherwise Soldado gets issolated. We pin the opposition back so much that we need more players in and around Soldado. Otherwise he is easy to mark.

i'm just wondering how many games we are supposed to give him before we can make a call on our investment?
30 games? 60? 90?

one thing that lamela has done for me that i will b eternally grateful for

people on here now finally factoring the ingredient known as confidence into the mix when talking about a player

was one of the most upsetting things about how when people rubbish players. lack of appreciation of confidence and fitness

Last edited:

I was watching a **** stream last night and thought it was Lamela who scored our first. Was kind of disappointed when I saw it was Siggy. :p
Too bad about the pen, the lad obviously lacks confidence. Someone start singing some songs for the lad or write him a letter in Spanish or something.

another thing to consider. maybe he is so much under pressure because of the price tag and also because of the excessive hype around him put on by people that rate him as the best young player/prospect in the world or something

Yea it's probably hard to deal with knowing that there are people calling you out from the moment you sign and expecting you to show your worth from the first time you step on to the pitch without taking any consoderation to the circumstances in which he finds himself.

I think that the formation hinders him at the moment. He is finding it hard to find the forward man in psace as their is only one in our current system. That one forward is normally pulling out wide to help create meaning that Lamela finds himself a bit isolated as do the other wide players but it is so much more apparent witrh him as his confidence is already low.

Last night cannot have done his morale any good at all, just hope it doesn't have a long last effect.

Yea it's probably hard to deal with knowing that there are people calling you out from the moment you sign and expecting you to show your worth from the first time you step on to the pitch without taking any consoderation to the circumstances in which he finds himself.

that would be true if there was anyone like that, which thankfully there isnt.

there are however people overhyping him to levels beyond comprehension and a club thats paying 30 million for him. these things can weigh on a 'kid' , expectations etc.

I think that the formation hinders him at the moment. He is finding it hard to find the forward man in psace as their is only one in our current system. That one forward is normally pulling out wide to help create meaning that Lamela finds himself a bit isolated as do the other wide players but it is so much more apparent witrh him as his confidence is already low.

Last night cannot have done his morale any good at all, just hope it doesn't have a long last effect.

thats actually a very good assessment. defoe does tend to pull wide these days to create space for himself and the team, solly doesnt do it as much from what limited viewing i have.

also some guy said the same thing as wwell, that lamela had his worst season under a coach that played a possession based game but flourished in a quicker tempo transition game

there are however people overhyping him to levels beyond comprehension and a club thats paying 30 million for him. these things can weigh on a 'kid' , expectations etc.

Did you hear Jon Champion last night? Ever tiny little mistake Lamela did was lamented "surely not a 30 million pound player". The media and pundits will do what they can to keep him down, until he gets his confidence up, then they'll love him, and then try to find things to hate about him again (the usual story of how we treat celebrities).

Did you hear Jon Champion last night? Ever tiny little mistake Lamela did was lamented "surely not a 30 million pound player". The media and pundits will do what they can to keep him down, until he gets his confidence up, then they'll love him, and then try to find things to hate about him again (the usual story of how we treat celebrities).

yeah billy wasnt talking about Jon champion, he was talking about me;), but there is a strong culture here for straw man burning so putting words in peoples' mouths is part of the territory. No biggie

one thing though that billy is correct about though..after the hype and the price and the chase......i and other people were expecting more by now, from my view i was expecting bigger hints and signs from the get go. dont forget that i hadnt seen him, you just go on what people you 'trust' have to say. now when people like billy , KD (though he is still a guy i set my watch to as far as assessments go), mumorn etc ...i.e people that watch and know an obscene amount of football .....say something? i just think "whatever. maybe , maybe not"....am not taking it at face value anymore until i see it.

thats actually a very good assessment. defoe does tend to pull wide these days to create space for himself and the team, solly doesnt do it as much from what limited viewing i have.

also some guy said the same thing as wwell, that lamela had his worst season under a coach that played a possession based game but flourished in a quicker tempo transition game

He will probably flourish in the formation that AVB likes away from home when possession might pass back n forth a little more freely despite having a high overall percentage whereas at home we tend just keep the ball for longer periods without actually going anywhere.

That was the main problem last night really, keeping the ball and passing it to death without having any real balance when going from left to right and right to left. That was exacerbated by the fact that whilst keeping possession we took far too long individually to move the ball which allowed Hull basically to construct the two banks of four and stifle our play with ease.

I don't see AVB giving up his philosophy anytime soon so I expect the majority of home games to follow the same frustrating pattern save for games against the other top sides who will fancy their chances of outplaying us but that amounts to maybe 5 games out of 19 in the league.

Like last season, we will have a very strong record overall away from home but I expect us to get beaten a few times in West Ham fashion again at WHL before the season is done.

Selective memory

Thought he done well lastnight, always wanted the ball and showed glimpses of a great talent....

Please, please, please not sing that GAY Lamela song though

yeah billy wasnt talking about Jon champion, he was talking about me;), but there is a strong culture here for straw man burning so putting words in peoples' mouths is part of the territory. No biggie

Wow talk about irony...

i wasn't just talking about you - there's been an increasing number of supporters calling this transfer in to question because he hasn't hit the ground running - not just on here.

Back