• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Thing is, a lot of people feel this is personal criticism of Friedel. It isn't. His talent speaks for itself, and has spoken loudly for many years. The issue is his age. At 41, your reactions are simply not going to be the same as someone who is 25. That's an undeniable fact. Thus the only advantage of age in that regard becomes mentality/vision. And Lloris is an international skipper. In a situation such as this, where the talent the two have is very very close, nature needs to be given the nod as it will be the difference in the end this season...

Thing is, a lot of people feel this is personal criticism of Friedel. It isn't. His talent speaks for itself, and has spoken loudly for many years. The issue is his age. At 41, your reactions are simply not going to be the same as someone who is 25. That's an undeniable fact. Thus the only advantage of age in that regard becomes mentality/vision. And Lloris is an international skipper. In a situation such as this, where the talent the two have is very very close, nature needs to be given the nod as it will be the difference in the end this season...

I don't think that anyone doubts that Lloris will end the season as first choice but I do not think that he would have made much difference today. I think that we have to trust the manager to judge how best to introduce him to the English game.

None? I don't disagree that Walker and Gallas contributed, but you seriously don't believe a younger, more agile keeper would not have stopped the first and got down to the equalizer?

I don't think that Lloris would have seen the first in time to do anything, same as Freidel. It's the same for the equaliser, it comes through a crowd of players and Freidel saw it very late.

We didn't lose the game today because of who was in goal. We lost the game because Dembele and Bale didn't play and were replaced by significantly weaker players. Because Walker and Gallas had shockers and Mata was the best player on the pitch by some distance.

I don't think that Lloris would have seen the first in time to do anything, same as Freidel. It's the same for the equaliser, it comes through a crowd of players and Freidel saw it very late.

We didn't lose the game today because of who was in goal. We lost the game because Dembele and Bale didn't play and were replaced by significantly weaker players. Because Walker and Gallas had shockers and Mata was the best player on the pitch by some distance.
That equaliser trickled into the back of the net; a more agile keeper would have at least made an effort to get down. Alas for all his ability Friedel lacks the reactions speed and agility that a young keeper has.

That equaliser trickled into the back of the net; a more agile keeper would have at least made an effort to get down. Alas for all his ability Friedel lacks the reactions speed and agility that a young keeper has.

Would never have gotten anywhere near it. Was perfectly placed.

It was simply a macaronic decision by AVB not to play Hugo. Brads run of games had already gone so no one would have batted an eyelid if he was on the bench again today. Instead, Hugo keeps a clean sheet on his prem debut and gets dropped............in the next game Brad ships 4 goals, at home, so what now ? Is It Hugo back in for the next game ? We are in total goalkeeper limbo at the moment and it will truely be our downfall. All great teams build with stability at the back. Now we have 2 keepers who dont know wether they are coming or going. Its madness.

It was simply a macaronic decision by AVB not to play Hugo. Brads run of games had already gone so no one would have batted an eyelid if he was on the bench again today. Instead, Hugo keeps a clean sheet on his prem debut and gets dropped............in the next game Brad ships 4 goals, at home, so what now ? Is It Hugo back in for the next game ? We are in total goalkeeper limbo at the moment and it will truely be our downfall. All great teams build with stability at the back. Now we have 2 keepers who dont know wether they are coming or going. Its madness.

totally agree =D>

Who would have saved what is a fruitless argument, imv.

One thing is for sure though - Lloris HAS TO start the next game and hopefully stay there for a while.

I don't think that AVB chose Freidel out of sentiment, you have to draw the conclusion that at this stage he thinks that he is the safer choice.

In any standard of football, the whole issue of who should play and who should sit out a match, must be based on form. The cold hard fact of the matter is that we conceded four goals at home. For me AVB should make some wholesale changes to the team in light of a below average performance against Chel$ea?

I sit in block 23, row 6 of the Paxton and against Aston Villa, I could actually hear Lloris communicate with the defence on at least two or three occasions. When Freidel has been "between the sticks", there doesn't appear to be any communication between the 'keeper and the defence? In any level of football, the 'keeper see's all of the pitch and a defender needs to know what is going on behind him. A defence gains confidence from a 'keeper who takes responsibility, not only for themselves, but for the entire defence. The current French captain does this "in spades", so he must be our first choice 'keeper from now on.

In any standard of football, the whole issue of who should play and who should sit out a match, must be based on form. The cold hard fact of the matter is that we conceded four goals at home. For me AVB should make some wholesale changes to the team in light of a below average performance against Chel$ea?

I sit in block 23, row 6 of the Paxton and against Aston Villa, I could actually hear Lloris communicate with the defence on at least two or three occasions. When Freidel has been "between the sticks", there doesn't appear to be any communication between the 'keeper and the defence? In any level of football, the 'keeper see's all of the pitch and a defender needs to know what is going on behind him. A defence gains confidence from a 'keeper who takes responsibility, not only for themselves, but for the entire defence. The current French captain does this "in spades", so he must be our first choice 'keeper from now on.

Bit oversimplified to be honest. You've also got things like resting players, tactical changes, injuries.. the list goes on.

I don't think that AVB chose Freidel out of sentiment, you have to draw the conclusion that at this stage he thinks that he is the safer choice.

That would be fine, apart from the fact that with Brad shipping 4 goals, its 99% certain Hugo will play against Southampton. When was the last time a Prem team changed their goalkeeper 4 times in 4 sucessive premiership games. Has it ever happened ? It looks like thats what we are going to do.

Then if that's the case - I'd say he's dead wrong and needs to re-evaluate his keepers a.s.a.p.

Based on form (not even statistics) Hugo should be ahead of him

Last edited:
Not intended as a harsh criticism on Friedel, but does anyone else think that Lloris might have come and claimed or punched the corner that Gallas poorly cleared that ended with the 1-0 goal against Chelsea?

I thought at the time that it was in an area where Lloris would have been taking charge. One of those things where goalkeepers are always blamed if they come for a cross and miss judge it or fumble it, but very rarely criticized if they stay on their line when they could or should have been going for the ball.

I like Friedel a lot. However, I want to see the future THFC keeper week in week out. He's the French captain. French number one. He's not exactly an unknown. Get him in NOW AVB.

I too like Brad, but I want Lloris in. He's proven in the league, albeit only one game, and maybe he'll have better communication with Gallas and kaboul, when he comes back. I'd switch Brad to cup games, Lloris to the league.

Back