• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Our first choice 11 is as good as any in the country. Our squad is poor in comparison to the Manchester's and Arsenal.

I have not said they are not, but i can not agree with your comment about punching above our weight. We are good enough to compete with the top four.

I have not said they are not, but i can not agree with your comment about punching above our weight. We are good enough to compete with the top four.

Precisely and what are we doing?

WE ARE COMPETING FOR THE TOP FOUR. So why is everyone getting all worked up? We are battling top four. We havent been out of it for GHod knows how long

Imagine "People forget where City should be at times,' Mancini said. 'They have won one Cup since 1976, the average finishing position until four or five years ago was probably about 17th. "

That would be some disrespect to the fans and a ridiculous excuse considering the money they have spent.

Similarly with the money Levy spends we should be not be averaging about 10th.

I can see the doc coming back in a training capacity, 'arry will then poach him from spurs when he goes to england = compensation being paid, 'arry will get a cut.

He ain't stupid you know.

WE ARE COMPETING FOR THE TOP FOUR. So why is everyone getting all worked up? We are battling top four. We haven't been out of it for GHod knows how long

We are hanging on by the coat tails, we have a squad who should be doing better. However my main point is a reply to those who said we are punching above our weight, we are not.

WE ARE COMPETING FOR THE TOP FOUR. So why is everyone getting all worked up? We are battling top four. We havent been out of it for GHod knows how long

because Harry is saying that by competing in the top 4 we are somehow punching well above our weight - when it is pretty much about what we should be doing

i don't think anyone here is tinkled that we are competing for 4th - people are tinkled that we blew such a great lead and that now the manager is seemingly moving the goal posts once again to make himself look the Messiah

Last edited:

Because Harry said that we are currently over performing compared to where "we should be" and that we're currently not in poor form...

Our own manager belittling our club is something people have a right to get worked up over. You could argue that he hasn't, but I haven't seen any good argument that his comments weren't at the very least a bit insulting.

So based on that if we performed at an average we should expect to be 5th or 6th?

Can we not all agree that:

a) Man United and City have better first XIs than us, and better squads.
b) Our first XI and squad is comparable to Arsenal's and Chelsea's.
c) Harry deserves credit for building this first XI and squad, without spending much money.
d) Given a) and b), we should be finishing between 3rd and 5th this season. Anything above that would have been an incredible (and virtually impossible) achievement, and anything below that will be a poor underachievement.
e) Given that we added Friedel, Parker and Adebayor this season, and don't have the Champions League to contend with, we should improve on last season's points total (62). [Currently on 59 with 5 games to go]

c) Harry deserves credit for building this first XI and squad, without spending much money.
d) Given a) and b), we should be finishing between 3rd and 5th this season. Anything above that would have been an incredible (and virtually impossible) achievement, and anything below that will be a poor underachievement.
e) Given that we added Friedel, Parker and Adebayor this season, and don't have the Champions League to contend with, we should improve on last season's points total (62). [Currently on 59 with 5 games to go]

I can agree with that, as long as you add to c) that Harry deserves some of the credit for building this first XI and squad as he only built some of it.

Seeing as we're currently a ton of points off that 2nd place overachieving point and only two points ahead of that 6th spot and on a pretty poor run of 1 win in 8 league games I think some negativity is to be expected.

i would agree with all of that - but a point i think people are missing out on, the main one which seems to have got peoples backs up - is the way he suggests we are punching above our weight and that he is moving the targets to suit what will happen "ive done well because ive got mid table tottenham to 4th/5th - it's a miracle !" i don't think anyone is tinkled that we are 'only in the top 5'

i would agree with all of that - but a point i think people are missing out on, the main one which seems to have got peoples backs up - is the way he suggests we are punching above our weight and that he is moving the targets to suit what will happen "ive done well because ive got mid table tottenham to 4th/5th - it's a miracle !" i don't think anyone is tinkled that we are 'only in the top 5'

This.

Just out of interest - what did people think at the start of the season? What did us fans think we would be? What did the Pundits think we would be?

I bet a greater percentage of people will have said 5/6th than top four. I think thats what Harry is getting at when he says we are punching above our weight. We are punching above what the majority would have predicted. ESPECIALLY after the first two games

You don't have to lie to be insulting. Arsene Wenger could say his fans are far and ginger, Kenny could say his fans are jobless thieves, that would be true but still show a lack of respect.

and i don't know what he said, which was why I asked you.
If Solaars quotes are from the piece that you are upset about, then I'm confused.

as I said, its a genuine question - I really don't know what it was he said, that you or others find offensive.

We are hanging on by the coat tails, we have a squad who should be doing better. However my main point is a reply to those who said we are punching above our weight, we are not.

Over all as a squad we do not have one that 'should' be doing better. We have one that should be exactly where it is. And that's a fantastic acheivement considering the players included in this squad were not top 4 quality when they signed. BAE, Kaboul, Walker, Bale, Modric even arguably Lennon have all improved to top 4 standard under Harry. The signings he has made, Friedel, Gallas, Parker, and Adebayor have been vital in keeping us there. It is his doing that we are where we are.

Put it this way, if we finished 6th after finishing 9th the season before, nobody would be saying 'What the hell! They have Assou-Ekotto at left back, Kaboul at centre back! They have Walker at right back! They have Bale! They should be much higher!!' because those players had never performed to a consistent top 4 level before. They became who they were under Harry. They are only considered top 4 standard because he has improved all of them to such an extent that people look upon them as one of the best sides in the country.

We don't have the finances or as deep a squad as the Manchester's though, and that's why injuries take their toll on us more than them.

Because Harry said that we are currently over performing compared to where "we should be" and that we're currently not in poor form...

Our own manager belittling our club is something people have a right to get worked up over. You could argue that he hasn't, but I haven't seen any good argument that his comments weren't at the very least a bit insulting.

I think everyone is taking his comments really too literally. I am pretty sure he meant in regards to how people thought we would do - we are punching above our weight. Which we are. we are punching above what people will have predicted us to be at.

Billy's spot on. If a gooner came on and said what Harry said we'd all be up in arms. If a tv pundit said spurs should be midtable then we'd all be fuming, even though it's his job to call it as he sees it.

But our manager, the guy responsible for motivating the team, for being a leader and figurehead, the guy who addresses the players before each game an at half time, the guy standing on the sidelines - for him to essentially shrug his shoulders and say this'll do is not good enough.

How do you think Bale and Modric feel about committing their future o a club that should only win a league cup every 5 or so years. It undermines everything we've been trying to do since appointing Arnesen and saying enoughs enough with the brick.

Last bit is nail on head for me. He seems to think that Spurs hadn't been up challenging for the top four before he arrived. I wouldnt necessarily say we were in a false position, as we were in the brick at the bottom of the table, but he inherited a talented but massively under performing and unbalanced squad. He just changes tack to suit he on agenda.

We've pretty much been in free fall since Xmas and yet he refuses to acknowledge that fact as it damages his England credentials.

Back