• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I can't agree with this quote unfortunately. Fergie is a great Manager but there is every chance that Utd will go backwards when he lives. Spurs fans, especially the anti-Redknapp mob, won't want to hear this but there is EVERY chance that we'll go backwards when Redknapp leaves. Whoever replaces Redknapp will have big shoes to fill. We have punched above our weight with him. I just hope whoever comes in will be given time to go through that backwards spell and step out from the shadow and form their own time. Somehow I doubt they will. Spurs fans are exceedingly quick to kneejerk and judge.

We were bottom of the league when he took over. At worst, we will finish 6th this season.

I disagree. We are universally disliked by other fans because of it. We are the worst out of the established Premiership clubs that's for sure. We are NEVER satisfied, content or realistic in our ambitions.

That's definitely true!

Maybe Villa fans are worse in terms of the prem sides that have been never been relegated, but thats about it.

I think our first team is capable of finishing 3rd. I think that Emirates Marketing Project & Chelsea should definitely be finishing above us (and those two should be fighting for the title). I think realistically Man Utd have the experience and class so they should be finishing above us. I think Arsenal have over achieved for a while and don't have the money to spend and it's them we should be competiting for 4th with.

I think we have got somewhat lucky this year, because Chelsea have completely imploded and are punching signficantly below their weight. I believe we are where we should be.

I think the wage limit is great and keeps us financially sound, but it is hampering our ability to sign top class players.

It is my opinion that our defence isn't good enough to win the league, and we desperately need a goal scorer.

Completely agree with that

I disagree with the bolded part to be honest.

I think we made terrible mistakes with the players we loaned out in January...as well as some of Harrys team selections.

I think Bassong, Corluka, Pienaar, and less tinkering would have made a big difference to the last month, and would have seen us pick up more points than 2 from 15. I dont think we would be in a position to challenge realistically at this stage, but I certainly wouldnt call it madness.

We dont have a consistant goalscorer though. We dont have a right winger to replace Lennon. We dont have a settled central defensive partnership. We are definately lacking and a couple of key injuries and we are in trouble (Bale, Benny or Ade). I just feel we are either underrating City or Utd or over rating us.

Madness is a strong word, maybe deluded is better.

We have been, all season, only fine margins away from top top results and performances.

Its deluded to try and put distance between us and the Manchester teams, IMO.

While of course you raise fair points on the squad its all right there in front of you, only a month ago we were on their coat tails - a few adjustments/improvements/tactical tweaks and we still could be

I think our defence is plenty good enough. We do need a consistant goalscorer though, but one that also contributes to our all round game, unfortunately they are few and far between.

I think our defence is plenty good enough. We do need a consistant goalscorer though, but one that also contributes to our all round game, unfortunately they are few and far between.

United and Emirates Marketing Project (and even Arsenal this season) are capable of winning plenty of games 1-0, we can do it a couple of times a season at best.

I'd say that's down more to how we play than the defence themselves. Set up like last week and I think we could take a lot of games 1-0.

I know we were not too far behind but we werent exactly steam rolling teams. Looking at the league stats for the top 2 against us
Goals for/against
Man Utd 74 27
City 75 25
Us 53 35

The margins were fine in some of our games but not over the season, eventually you get found out.

Just to clarify, if we finish 3rd at the end of the season I cant see how anyone could be in the least bit disappointed.

Hence my point, a few tweaks and we could well have been steam rolling teams.

Which is where this started the other day, my belief that a better manager can make a difference.

I disagree with the bolded part to be honest.

I think we made terrible mistakes with the players we loaned out in January...as well as some of Harrys team selections.

I think Bassong, Corluka, Pienaar, and less tinkering would have made a big difference to the last month, and would have seen us pick up more points than 2 from 15. I dont think we would be in a position to challenge realistically at this stage, but I certainly wouldnt call it madness.

You do realise that Bassong,Corluka and Pienaar all wanted to leave in January right? Redknapp mentioned somewhere that Bassong etc not being happy wasn't creating great vibes, hence why they were replaced by Nelsen and Saha who are more prepared to accept bit part roles. A lot of people just think about a squad on paper, and have no idea what is requird behind the scenes (not aimed directly at you).

Additionally no matter how good anyone thinks our squad is on paper (and 3rd/4th is about right for what we have) we are lacking a couple of big players with that winning mentality to take us to that level. We need more of these no matter who is in charge.....

I have to agree with MK, I was discussing this earlier in the thread with Nayim, that the expectation to win the prem with this squad is madness. Our squad is not good enough to cope with this and Redknapp has said himself we are missing at least 2 big players.
My earlier point was could we go any further, how do we get past City, Chelsea and Utd if they spend so much and most likely will buy our top players.

And I think he is being optimistic too. We need two new centre halves, a left back and a striker. Then we can seriously challenge for the title on our own merits (and not just rely on teams around us falling short). The problem is it doesn't matter who is in charge at the club, attracting those instant win top players is highly unlikely to happen and we may have to go through a few frogs to get the prince.

Our defence is probably top 4 - top 6 standard but no better than that

Benny is a top class left back, Walker is great going forward but makes mistakes defensively. CB is a bit of a disaster area if you ask me as we dont have any real top class CBs...however you cant get away with that if you have a settled pairing who compliment each other, but we dont have that either. King has looked a shadow of his former self this season (and you have to question whether this is the beginning of the end for him), Gallas has had injuries this year and is ancient, Daws has also been injured and questionnable whether he has the class to be a top top CB...the silver linings are that Caulker is coming through and Kaboul has also stepped us this season. We do need to spend big at CB though this summer

I would agree with that as long as we dont pull a Liverpool and sign a frog like Carroll. Its such a big summer for the club, assuming we make the CL, that we get those players in early if we want to have any chance to push on next year.

Benny is a top class left back, Walker is great going forward but makes mistakes defensively. CB is a bit of a disaster area if you ask me as we dont have any real top class CBs...however you cant get away with that if you have a settled pairing who compliment each other, but we dont have that either. King has looked a shadow of his former self this season (and you have to question whether this is the beginning of the end for him), Gallas has had injuries this year and is ancient, Daws has also been injured and questionnable whether he has the class to be a top top CB...the silver linings are that Caulker is coming through and Kaboul has also stepped us this season. We do need to spend big at CB though this summer

Agree with your assessment of our CB situation bar the fact that you've failed to mention the Bong, all will be fine when he makes his grand entrance. Caulker and Kaboul have the potential to consistently be top class centre backs, everyone else is either not good enough, too old or too injury prone or not versatile enough to justify a place in our squad as 3rd place centre back.

In regards to Walker I think he's improved greatly in terms of defense but he's not great going forward until he can put a decent ball in

I'd say defensively Walker is just as sound as Ekotto, he was exposed at the start of the season but has come on leaps and bounds since then.

As for CB for next season I'd be happy with that Ajax CB and Kaboul as our main pairing, with Caulker as back up....

Walker looks better than what he is simply because his power of recovery is immense. The pace gets him out of so many situations. im not complaining and he will improve and develop. His forward play is actually a bit brick. His crossing always seems to hit the left back - he never misses him

We may also have to look for a GK depending on BFs fitness. Having no replacement for Lennon aswell has cost us. We've been going on about strikers for years now but if we could get even a poor mans Van Persie who could get us results from nothing that could give us those crucial extra few points.

yep, the above few posts spell out the massive amount of work which Redknapp, or whoever the manager is, will have to do this summer. Part of this work is due to the short-term nature of the signings which Harry has made over the last 1-2 years and which is typical of the way he has thought at other clubs. The manager will have to:

- sort out what he wants to do with Gomes and probably release Cudicini - likely to mean that the new guy will have to sign a keeper to compete with BF next year and maybe and up and coming 3rd choice
- make A LOT of decisions at CB...what does he do with Nelsen and Gallas (release them or how much can they be relied upon to be fit to play next year and will they still be good enough)? Is King finished or how do you use him next year? Is Daws good enough for a team which want to establish themselved in the top 3? Keep Caulker or loan to a bigger team? What happens to Bassong?
- try to keep Modric and Bale
- sort out a lot of the baggage...Jenas, Bentley, GDS, Krancjar, Pienaar
- sign a back-up for Lennon
- sign Adebayor on a permanent deal or similar style replacement
- try to bring in a Mdric-style marquee signing like Hazard, Rossi etc
- what happens with the bunch of other 'young professionals' at the club like TOwnsend, Livermore, Carroll etc

Going to be a busy summer! (though realistically probably just a busy Aug 31st)

Back