• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I fear we will go back to the director of football system that we deployed before Redknapp joined. I could even see us bringing Comolli back, who is working wonders at Liverpool btw!

Our worst signings in recent years have all been " so called proven PL players " Keane, Bent, Bentley & Palacious " all sold or not sold at a big loss. Yes I would rather Wenger do our transfers, certainly up tp the last years, he has constantly bought good players for vey little.

My GHod you are taking the utter tinkle. Bent and Bentley???? WTF

As for Wenger constantly signing good players for very little? Arshavin and Waclott cost 30M. Blinding.

If Walker, Falque, Coubailley, Naughton etc turn out to be great players, people will say it wasnt a Harry signing.....if they turn out to be average though, well that will all be down to Redknapp

Coulibaly is an academy player and nothing to do with Redknapp. I'm sure these guys will take the credit for that one:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/Academy/about-the-academy.page

John McDermott - Academy Manager
Richard Allen - Head of Recruitment

Our worst signings in recent years have all been " so called proven PL players " Keane, Bent, Bentley & Palacious " all sold or not sold at a big loss. Yes I would rather Wenger do our transfers, certainly up tp the last years, he has constantly bought good players for vey little.
My point is Harry has done well, but he does not deserve all or even most of the credit for the assembling of our very good squad.

Our best players tend to not be his signings. Harry may changed , he has been to see Hazard and is after him, this could be a Modric signing and it would be a Harry choice..

34 Posts, and you would rather Wenger, sure you are not on the wrong board mate?

Wengers transfer policy btw is, chase player for years, make them run down their current contract, buy low and pay stupid high wages. And considering the Scum probably only have one player that would walk into Spurs first 11 ... makes you seem to be a bit of a WUM

No, not at all - already gave you Hernandez as the most obvious choice. How does being capped at youth level make you s super-star? I think you're misunderstanding the meaining of 'hidden gem' = a cheap player with massive potential who hasn't been linked with the G-14 and turns out to be solid.

Couple of other names which have emerged over the years

- Radamel Falcao (nothing exceptional at River Plate)
- Antonio Valencia

I argued why I think Hernandez can't be classified as a hidden gem. And that argument wasn't that "he had been capped at youth level so he was a super star!" I don't see how transfer rumours from the press have much to do with how well known a player is for the clubs. I'm quite sure most of the British press hadn't heard of Hernandez before United signed him, but I don't see how that is relevant.

The original post I made was about how scouts rarely discover unknown players these days. I'm not talking about the press, or who the press are linking to the top clubs in the world. I'm talking about what kind of knowledge I think the clubs and their scouting networks have.

For me a hidden gem isn't just a cheap player that is unknown to fans and players, I'm talking about players signed that most clubs wouldn't know about for a player to be "hidden". If you want to use the expression "hidden gem" in a different way from me I have no problem with that, I'm yet to find an online dictionary with precise definition of football terms.

Even if the Crouch/Palacios fees were more ?ú12m/?ú8m (although I haven't seen anything indicating that as far as I can remember) the loss would be only ?ú4m. That's not a big loss in football these days by any useful definition of "big loss" I can think of.

Spurs wouldn't see it as a loss at all.

Wilson was signed for ?ú12 million on an initial five and a half year contract. He served two and a half years of that contract. Which means that he would have been valued in Spurs' accounts at about ?ú6.5 million at the time that he was sold to Stoke.

So, in fact, a transfer fee of ?ú8 million would have realised a ?ú1.5 million profit.

Wilson was signed for ?ú12 million on an initial five and a half year contract. He served two and a half years of that contract. Which means that he would have been valued in Spurs' accounts at about ?ú6.5 million at the time that he was sold to Stoke.

So, in fact, a transfer fee of ?ú8 million would have realised a ?ú1.5 million profit.

I don't really care how we do our accounting.

For me transfer fees, profits and losses should be talked about based on the transfer fees being paid, and of course if the infomration is available you can start talking about agent fees, wages and such.

For me a hidden gem isn't just a cheap player that is unknown to fans and players, I'm talking about players signed that most clubs wouldn't know about for a player to be "hidden". If you want to use the expression "hidden gem" in a different way from me I have no problem with that, I'm yet to find an online dictionary with precise definition of football terms.

To me Hernandez was mostly that but we'd just have to agree to disagree

What we need is a manager who can motivate, is tactically superior, has in depth knowledge of world football (and youth level), makes few or no mistakes on the transfer market, brings through lots of youth players to the first team, places entertaining football highly and will spend less money than the opposition but is expected to finish higher. Someone send this to Levy now and see who applies.

- Radamel Falcao (nothing exceptional at River Plate)
- Antonio Valencia

Wikipedia on Falcao during his time with River:

-------
Playing under Diego Simeone, Falcao won his first championship as on 22 June 2008, River Plate finished a top the Argentine Clausura 2008. In Simeone's 4–2–3–1 formation, Falcao adapted from his usual role as center forward to play in the middle of an attacking midfield trio — the switch saw him finding few scoring opportunities in the box but more involved in the overall play of the team. Falcao finished River's top scorer in the spring semester with ten goals (six in the league and four in the Copa Libertadores). He was also River's top scorer in aggregate across the 2007–08 period with 19 goals in 35 starts in all competitions across the fall and spring seasons.

Simeone's second season was to prove the least successful in River's long history with the side finishing last in the table for the first time. During the miserable campaign, Falcao would score only six goals but remain one of River's most consistent players. Under Simeone's replacement, Nestor Gorosito, Falcao would return to form, scoring 10 goals in 21 games in all competitions. In aggregate across the 2008–09 period, he would again be River's top scorer with 16 goals in 38 appearances in all competitions across the fall and spring periods.
------

If this is part of your definition of "hidden" we just have completely different definitions of hidden. I'm sure most sporting directors and head scouts would have had scouting reports in on Falcao well before he signed for Porto.

Valencia is a bit different. Signed to Europe at 19 (from what I can see) from the Ecuadorian league he might not have been as well known. Certainly not as well known as Falcao who had 90 league games in the Argentinian league.

@ brainclipse

Backing your argument with evidence as to why you drew your conclusions means little around here

Paper profit though. And it is still initial spending that could have been better spent.

Like with Keane and Defoe, he probably would have come even if we were well clear of trouble. And I think the extent of the threat was always over exaggerated. It was one of our best premier league finishes, up to that point. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't a terrible buy by any strech and he did a job but we needed to move on from that type of signing and we haven't really. What makes me up for it is Harry's ability to get that bit extra from most players and his overall excellent man management, along with the rest of the coaching team. But we have undoubtedly had an ordinary few years in the market. It was mentioned earlier that Freidal and Adebayor are just giving us breathing space for more long term signings. But I've heard this every year for about the last three. The players we wanted weren't available, weren't interested etc etc. Yet plenty have slipped through the net in that time. The feeling remains that the groundwork isn't being done and we've being left with the 'good job' type signings as there isn't as much competition for them. We have the most clout outside about 3 or 4 clubs and it is fairly comfortable work to attract and sign these. Getting in the Bale's and Modric's are a different matter.

To me Hernandez was mostly that but we'd just have to agree to disagree

Sure.

I still think you underestimate what kind of scouting knowledge most top teams have though.

A quote from Wenger about scouting (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/06/cristiano-ronaldo-arsenal-manchester-united-premier-league):

Wenger marvels at how the major European clubs have scouts seemingly everywhere. "A friend of mine at Tours in the French second division told me that when they play at home, they have on average 15-20 foreign scouts," he said. "It is Ajax, AS Roma ... unbelievable. You are not any more the only one on the ball."

I don't really care how we do our accounting.

For me transfer fees, profits and losses should be talked about based on the transfer fees being paid, and of course if the infomration is available you can start talking about agent fees, wages and such.

But if you only calculate profit and loss on player trading on the basis of fees paid and fees received, you fail to take into account that a player has provided x number of years of service during his stay at the club.

Signing a player on a contract for a set number of years is like buying a property on a leasehold. Alternatively, it can be likened to a business buying machinery that is subject to depreciation. At the point of sale, the player / property / machinery might not be worth as much as you initially paid but you have to take into account how you have benefited in the meanwhile.

If this is part of your definition of "hidden" we just have completely different definitions of hidden. I'm sure most sporting directors and head scouts would have had scouting reports in on Falcao well before he signed for Porto.

Valencia is a bit different. Signed to Europe at 19 (from what I can see) from the Ecuadorian league he might not have been as well known. Certainly not as well known as Falcao who had 90 league games in the Argentinian league.

The wiki check: where fiction meets opinion. :D

Both were under the radar players who came to Europe largely as 'gambles' - especially Valencia. You are 'sure' Falcao was monitored by many yet that is only a speculatiion (to justify your agenda, naturally - fair enough) as to why only Porto took a chance (for example). For example - Falque could be our hidden gem is something comes out of him.

Is your definition of a hidden gem that Mexican immigrant kid who was spotted jamming with his mates in a LA park and taken to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and later Real Madrid to become the next David Beckham? ;)

Back