• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
How come every good signing under Harry is either Levy or was in place from Commolli, but all the poor ones were just plain old Harry? :-k

I wouldnt say set pieces is his problem entirely. I mean you can practice all the movement you like in set pieces but if the ball in is brick then you have no chance. The players should stay behind and do it on their own - shoot, pass, cross for set pieces. Didnt Lampard stay behind? didnt Ronaldo? Didnt Beckham?

Also we've let in a couple recently, but it's still nowhere near as bad as the Jol or Ramos eras when it seemed like we conceded from a set-piece in practically every game. The most notable change to our team in Redknapp's first two or three years was sorting out this and getting us to play in a similar fashion away from home as we did at White Hart Lane.

They were when Harry was manager, but we were linked with thme before he came as we were with Sandro, they were not his choices , "not being recommended by a freind or relative of his ".

VdV was signed under him, but again it was Levy signing. Harry best signing is Kaboul IMO.

They were when Harry was manager, but we were linked with thme before he came as we were with Sandro, they were not his choices , "not being recommended by a freind or relative of his ".

VdV was signed under him, but again it was Levy signing. Harry best signing is Kaboul IMO.

Do you think that Levy signed players under Harry, that Harry had no say in?

Or do you think that when they were reccommended to him by the club scouts (the same way every single other team and manger on the planet works), Harry just said "yeah, sign em up", without actually watching them and coming to a decision on whether he thought they would be an asset to the club?

People keep talking like they have inside info on who how and when players were presented to Redknapp. If he was manager, its logical to assume, that on some level, he is responsible for our signings - good or bad.

Levy is not a DoF, and when Ramos and Comolli left, I very much doubt Harry came in and simply agreed to blindly continue their transfer policy.

You mention Kaboul, yet Harry was slagged off to f#ck when he actually went back in for him. He was one of the "tinkle poor" signings used to beat Harry with back then. Palacios was a f#cking master stroke at the time, but later, he was used to bash Redknapp with.

His signings, IF you accept them as his, have been by and large very good, especially in the context of what we needed at the time of signing them, and what we've achieved with them.

If we outgrow a player, it doesnt make them a poor signing.

Kaboul re joined in 2010
Harry joined in 2008

A "Comolli signing". Says it all

Last edited:

Sandro was apparently "discovered" by Ian Broomfield, our head scout. Guess who brought Broomfield to the club? I'll give you a hint. Broomfield was "poached" from Portsmouth.....

We've been linked to every player under the sun, don't really see the relevance.

If we were after them before Harry came to the club they would have been either Comolli or Ramos targets. Both of them were sacked before Harry was hired. Then we brought in a new head scout who Harry wanted. Who would have chosen to sign them when we did if not Harry or the head scout?

I could understand this kind of argument under the DoF system, where we bought a new player soon after a new manager arrived and people might say that Hutton was a Ramos signing, we had been chasing him for a long time under Comolli or something similar to that. But when Harry was brought in it was a fresh start and we signed Walker in his first summer transfer window? How did we end up signing him and Naughton, for substantial amounts of money that is, if Harry didn't want them signed?

We've been linked to every player under the sun, don't really see the relevance.

If we were after them before Harry came to the club they would have been either Comolli or Ramos targets. Both of them were sacked before Harry was hired. Then we brought in a new head scout who Harry wanted. Who would have chosen to sign them when we did if not Harry or the head scout?

I could understand this kind of argument under the DoF system, where we bought a new player soon after a new manager arrived and people might say that Hutton was a Ramos signing, we had been chasing him for a long time under Comolli or something similar to that. But when Harry was brought in it was a fresh start and we signed Walker in his first summer transfer window? How did we end up signing him and Naughton, for substantial amounts of money that is, if Harry didn't want them signed?

Harry was asked and said yes, very probably without having seen them play. It was a mistake to send Walker out to Villa last year. had Cappelo not spotted him and picked him for England Harry may not have played him for the first game of the season.

Harry likes to sign players he knows and not unknowns. I don't think he has a particullarly good knowledge of European football. His signings have been proven pros like Parker , Keane and Crouch.

Overall I don't think he has been good in the market and think it we had to rely on only his choices of signings, we would not be in as good a state.

IMO he has been flattered by this.

Agreed.

It's very similar to some of the poorly considered arguments against Comolli's signings.

Some Spurs fans were forever arguing that the likes of Bale, Berbatov, Modric etc were all expensive and all were being watched by lots of other clubs. Therefore Comolli deserved no credit for signing them. But the point is that, unlike all those other clubs, Spurs under Comolli backed their judgement of those players and paid what they had to pay to get them. I bet that Wenger now wishes he had taken the gamble on Modric. I bet that Ferguson wishes that he had taken the gamble on Bale.

In much the same way, Spurs might well have already been watching the Kyles while Comolli was at the club. But it was under Redknapp that we took the plunge. It must therefore be Redknapp and his staff who take the credit.

Harry was asked and said yes, very probably without having seen them play.

](*,)

It was a mistake to send Walker out to Villa last year.

](*,)

had Cappelo not spotted him and picked him for England Harry may not have played him for the first game of the season.

](*,)

Harry likes to sign players he knows and not unknowns. I don't think he has a particullarly good knowledge of European football. His signings have been proven pros like Parker , Keane and Crouch.

Overall I don't think he has been good in the market and think it we had to rely on only his choices of signings, we would not be in as good a state.

Out of interest, how much did you know about Krasic, Remy or Giroud before Harry told you we were after them? If they'd signed, would you have said the same thing? Did you know much about Kranjcar, Yakubu or Muntari before Harry signed them for Pompey?

Harry was asked and said yes, very probably without having seen them play. It was a mistake to send Walker out to Villa last year. had Cappelo not spotted him and picked him for England Harry may not have played him for the first game of the season.

Colin, in fairness, you are stating your opinion as a fact to back up this argument. Maybe if we hadnt loaned out Walker he would have sat on our bench and not progressed at all. I'd say Kaboul and Charlie werent that bad as full back options.

You also say Harry likes to sign players he knows but in your first line say he signs players hes never seen?

Asked by who? His head scout that he appointed to scout for players? And how do you know this?

Harry signed several players from the Championship during his time at Portsmouth. I find it very strange that you don't think Harry along with our scouting team will have a pretty good idea about what is going on in the Championship.

Agreed.

It's very similar to some of the poorly considered arguments against Comolli's signings.

Some Spurs fans were forever arguing that the likes of Bale, Berbatov, Modric etc were all expensive and all were being watched by lots of other clubs. Therefore Comolli deserved no credit for signing them. But the point is that, unlike all those other clubs, Spurs under Comolli backed their judgement of those players and paid what they had to pay to get them. I bet that Wenger now wishes he had taken the gamble on Modric. I bet that Ferguson wishes that he had taken the gamble on Bale.

In much the same way, Spurs might well have already been watching the Kyles while Comolli was at the club. But it was under Redknapp that we took the plunge. It must therefore be Redknapp and his staff who take the credit.

This is true. According to Tor Kristan Karlsen, previously a scout for several European teams, now the newly appointed DoF of Monaco very few players are "discovered" these days. From what I can understand most players that are watched by scouts from good European clubs are watched by scouts from 10-20 different teams each week. Players are known about for a long time and it's all about identifying who will be the right choice and very rarely about unearthing some hidden gem from somewhere.

From what I can understand most players that are watched by scouts from good European clubs are watched by scouts from 10-20 different teams each week. Players are known about for a long time and it's all about identifying who will be the right choice and very rarely about unearthing some hidden gem from somewhere.

That sentence does not make sense to me

- Are scouts only tracking good players and not bothering with 'potential' ones since chances of them turning good are slim?
- How many were arguably tracking Hernandez for example prior to his move? I doubt many - Utd took a chance on an unknown player who turned out to be a gem

That sentence does not make sense to me

- Are scouts only tracking good players and not bothering with 'potential' ones since chances of them turning good are slim?
- How many were arguably tracking Hernandez for example prior to his move? I doubt many - Utd took a chance on an unknown player who turned out to be a gem

Bit early to say that in my opinion. Utd fans have been more than a bit disappointed with him this season. Will be interesting to see if he bounces back.

Back