• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I'd say this is naive at best... how the hell can WE be "nailed on" for ANYTHING?? 10 points, after all is only 3 wins and a draw, and that's not taking into account that the NLD was effectively a 6-pointer...

Whilst I didn't expect the lead to vanish QUITE as quickly as it did, 10 points was a very deceptive advantage... so to be 'nailed on' is laughable..
I'm rarely comfortable at 4-0 up with 2 minutes to go...!!!

But as has already been pointed out, in positive news, at least he didn't mention Engerlund!

Jesus wept, it's not difficult to spot a Harry doubter is it?!

I think you have every right to compare to past years, its comparing success against failure, the same as in every job or walk of life.

We have had a great season, again one of the best I can remember and people are purely picking holes.

Transfer dealing and not scoring from set peices, if those are the two biggest complaints we have I think we have done pretty well. Could be worse, we could score from nearly every set peice and have a team like Bolton under Sam or Stoke....I know who I would rather watch every week...

No, the fact that he talks a lot nullifies his achievements if you listen to some posters on here.

It's rare that a title winning side has world class players in every position. Indeed it can often be one or two great players added to an already good team that can turn top 4 contenders into title contenders.

Even then in every title winning side there is usually two or three players that fit in, but if they went to a relegation battling side that side would still be battling relegation. They don't make the difference, but nor are they detrimental. I believe Spurs have a few of those sort of players. Too many to be considered a serious threat to the title.

We have Modric & Bale. Those two deserve to be in title winning sides. A few years ago King would've been there too. VDV is excellent, but he lacks something that says to me he deserves to be in a title winning side. This said I feel a bit sorry for VDV because his favoured and best role, as SUIYHA pointed out above, is that of a deep lying forward. Especially in the Premiership, he is not a right winger or central midfielder. If he was played in his natural position week in, week out then maybe I'd perceive him differently.

Ade, Parker, Sandro, Big Brad and Lennon are also very good players but for me lack the quality to be players that can make the difference between 2nd and 1st. The rest? Well they're the sort of players that do well with the above players around them but if you put them in a Wolves or Wigan side those sides would still be battling relegation.

Good post!

All to play for, if we lose in the SF and come 5th. he will not look so good.

Two ways of looking at it and both have merit.

A] He took over when we had " 2 points from 8 games, we have qualified and done well in the CL. We have played our best football since the 80s under him, this is our best team since the 80s

B ] We have won nothing, he inherited a very good squad of players, some of which he initially did not rate or play. { Walker & Bale } , he has tried to make some very dodgy signings. Neville, CARROL, Downing.

He has made some dodgy signings [ all managers do ].

No, the fact that he talks a lot nullifies his achievements if you listen to some posters on here.
I think the problem a lot of people have with Redknapp isn't really to do with his talking. He does talk a big game a lot of the time, then puts us down if we go on a bad streak or are in bad form. EG "5th as good as it gets" etc. But that's not my real bone with him

But the problem for me, even though i'm in the Harry in camp, is that we do underperform a lot in games given the players available to us. This is not necessarily due to the players playing badly or having an off day; more to do with formations and tactics that a lot of laymen can see the flaws in that Harry doesn't see or take a while to see.

For example:

-Krancjar and Modric in CM when we could have played a 3 and stuck livermore in their initially.
-Switching to 4-4-2 against Chelsea at home when we were dominating possession
-Keeping the same lethargic midfield of Krancjar Modric Parker Bale against arsenal even though everyone knows that arsenal play 5 across midfield with 3 central thereby outnumbering us.
-Persisting with 4-4-2 after Christmas when Parker our only DM is running on empty against a lot of team playing 3 in CM. And only seeing the folly of doing so just recently.

A lot of these things weren't to do with us being down to the bare bones but more to do with bad decision making by Harry in the tactics required for the games. Its worrying that a lot of fans noticed these mistakes that contributed towards our dip in form and it took Harry a while to see it. I was angry at Jol a few times, despite being a big BMJ lover as we could never really push on and beat the big four. Then I look at our midfield after Carrick left, Lennon Jenas Zokora Malbranque and I realise how blessed we truely are today. If BMJ could get those teams to finish 5th when clubs like Man UTD, Arsenal, Chelsea and Pool where much stronger with our current midfield compared to their current ones on paper we surely should be looking at 3rd minimum.

Then again I really want him to stay as the players like him and I think a lot of the good ones like modric and Bale will leave if he gets the england job

If Redknapp leaves at the end of the season, even if we did finish 5th, he would be regarded as our best gaffer in the past 20 years. What more is their to say? Really?

If Redknapp leaves at the end of the season, even if we did finish 5th, he would be regarded as our best gaffer in the past 20 years. What more is their to say? Really?
Rightly so Roy and that is justified if you look at win percentage etc. But if he does then we can count on it having been thrown away.Say if modric left we and If were were on average form all season and were 7th but managed to scrape 5th i'd consider it an achievement. However we were 3rd there or thereabouts for the majority of the season and now have conceded the advantage to arsenal, so for me that would be relative failure given our position for the majority of the season.

Rightly so Roy and that is justified if you look at win percentage etc. But if he does then we can count on it having been thrown away.Say if modric left we and If were were on average form all season and were 7th but managed to scrape 5th i'd consider it an achievement. However we were 3rd there or thereabouts for the majority of the season and now have conceded the advantage to arsenal, so for me that would be relative failure given our position for the majority of the season.

It's all relative yes. It's my opinion also that we have set our standards so high that even failure will have in it some sort of glory. Their my words btw I'll come up with some kind of quote later :)

Just hoping Chelsea and City can take something from the library II.

All to play for, if we lose in the SF and come 5th. he will not look so good.

Two ways of looking at it and both have merit.

A] He took over when we had " 2 points from 8 games, we have qualified and done well in the CL. We have played our best football since the 80s under him, this is our best team since the 80s

B ] We have won nothing, he inherited a very good squad of players, some of which he initially did not rate or play. { Walker & Bale } , he has tried to make some very dodgy signings. Neville, CARROL, Downing.

He has made some dodgy signings [ all managers do ].

Harry signed Walker. I think he always rated him, but let him go out on loan to improve there rather than sit on the bench for us.

It's all relative yes. It's my opinion also that we have set our standards so high that even failure will have in it some sort of glory. Their my words btw I'll come up with some kind of quote later :)

Just hoping Chelsea and City can take something from the library II.
Probably my favourite quote ever and my personal motto. I for one am behind Redknapp all the way, I just hope he has his formation and game plan set for the tail end of this season.

can't compare with past years as we have a good crop of players, and a pretty well balanced team - arguably the best in the modern era.

the question is can another manager do better with the likes of modric, vdv, bale, lennon in the team.

i'd say that set pieces are a big sore point under redknapp's regin!

I wouldnt say set pieces is his problem entirely. I mean you can practice all the movement you like in set pieces but if the ball in is brick then you have no chance. The players should stay behind and do it on their own - shoot, pass, cross for set pieces. Didnt Lampard stay behind? didnt Ronaldo? Didnt Beckham?

Probably my favourite quote ever and my personal motto. I for one am behind Redknapp all the way, I just hope he has his formation and game plan set for the tail end of this season.

It sums up the man in one sentence. Legend.

As for harry yeah I really hope he utilises the squad for the run in. It was important to get through the Bolton match injury-free, which we did, and the same will apply in the run-in.

I wouldnt say set pieces is his problem entirely. I mean you can practice all the movement you like in set pieces but if the ball in is brick then you have no chance. The players should stay behind and do it on their own - shoot, pass, cross for set pieces. Didnt Lampard stay behind? didnt Ronaldo? Didnt Beckham?

We apparently started practicing set pieces (again) after the Stoke game, took us a week and we got our first goal, an important goal it was as well.

Quite a lot of our players are on ?ú40-50k+ a week. Can't Harry or one of our coaching staff just tell them to stay behind and practice it after the normal training?

They must practice surely? I know our set pieces are truly awful but were not some team over Hackney marshes Harry must get them practicing routines???

Harry signed Walker. I think he always rated him, but let him go out on loan to improve there rather than sit on the bench for us.

He didn't we bought both Kyle's from Sheff Utd it was a remnant from the Commoli era. Cappelo picked him for England last year when he was on loan and we were short of a RB.

Harry has been flattered by some luck in players other bought and players he failed to get.

We apparently started practicing set pieces (again) after the Stoke game, took us a week and we got our first goal, an important goal it was as well.

Quite a lot of our players are on ?ú40-50k+ a week. Can't Harry or one of our coaching staff just tell them to stay behind and practice it after the normal training?

you would think the players would do it themselves anyways - if they have any pride or decency.

Hopefully this improvement continues

He didn't we bought both Kyle's from Sheff Utd it was a remnant from the Commoli era. Cappelo picked him for England last year when he was on loan and we were short of a RB.

Harry has been flattered by some luck in players other bought and players he failed to get.

From Wikipedia:

Harry Redknapp: In October 2008, following the sacking of Juande Ramos by Tottenham Hotspur, the club announced that Redknapp had agreed to take over as the new manager at Spurs.

Kyle Walker: In July 2009, Walker had left Sheffield United to join Tottenham Hotspur along with fellow defender Kyle Naughton for a combined fee of ?ú9m.

If you still disagree please provide a source.

Back