• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GG's favourite album of all time

One Step Beyond - Madness
i Just can's Stop It - The Beat
The Specials - The Specials
Connected - Stereo MC's
Reverence - Faithless
Once Upon a Time - Simple Minds
Labour Of Love - UB40
The Message - Grandmaster Flash

Late to this one...interesting choices...still want to be sure of the criteria here Milo, thus just asking again...you want our opinions as to the BEST album (by an artist) or our FAVOURITE?

I will go with some personal favorites first (an aside -many have been mentioned here already so I won't list those) with a brief reason why...

Massive Attack - Protection...whilst their debut was a classic, their sophomore effort really crystalized everything their crew was all about, polished it a little and delivered one of the greatest songs of the 90s in 'Karmacoma'

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers...quite simply one of the two albums I feel has total symmetrical excellence (Dark Side Of The Moon is the other) and the album that basically did poor old Brian Wilson in for decades ( a shame because Pet Sounds isn't exactly shabby).

David Bowie - Heroes...many opt for Ziggy Stardust, and frankly, the man's catalogue is pretty much peerless until the 80s, but my personal favorites were the Berlin period, and of these "Heroes" had the greatest balance; 'Beauty & The Beast' is a sensational introduction...I love "Low" too BTW...

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The ********...simply superb. 10 punk songs that are actually more like pop they're that sticky. Timeless.

Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits...the only compilation released whilst he was alive, and as such, for me it's fair game. Has them all. Maestro. I was apparently at the Isle Of Wight but napping. Toddlers will do that. Sigh...

Faith No More - Angel Dust...an album which not only revealed the true dimension this band once had, but the influence they would have over modern music for years to come. Edgy, bold, unapologetic and visceral.

Underworld - Second Toughest In the Infants...a though choice, as Dubnobass...is superb too, but this gets the nod simply for the era and opening track 'Juanita...' soundscaping at 130bpms was never as much fun.

Goldie - Timeless...the dawning of a genre, an era and one of the wildest talents in British music & art (IMO), this album has textures and layers plus some energy! The 'official' launch pad of drum'n'bass (obviously there'd been great stuff prior, but this formalized it as a genre to be reckoned with)...

Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison..."I shot a man in Reno, just to watch-him-die/When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry"...the black heart speaking of black heart sadness with the voice of a calm, soothing angel. Incredible album.

...so many more...but I have to get some stuff done...more later if needed...I already know I'll kick myself for what I'm not putting down, but again, some have already been covered.

I don't mind at this stage. We need to whittle down the 100 odd albums we've got to a short list of 32. Then we will follow a knock out format to choose the best album.

The only other rules we need to bear in mind at this stage are that only one album by an artist can make the 32 and original albums only (no comps :evil: ). So as great as Smash Hits is, it doesn't make the cut.

It'd be great if we could use this thread to discuss the merits of albums and choose the one to go forward where we already have multiple nominations for an act.

A great list by the way. I nominated Hunky Dory earlier but I really love the Berlin albums too, so would be very happy with either Heroes or Low going through.

I don't mind at this stage. We need to whittle down the 100 odd albums we've got to a short list of 32. Then we will follow a knock out format to choose the best album..

Tough task...maybe whittle down to 64 and start the knock out from there?

System of a Down - Toxicity
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation

I don't mind at this stage. We need to whittle down the 100 odd albums we've got to a short list of 32. Then we will follow a knock out format to choose the best album.

The only other rules we need to bear in mind at this stage are that only one album by an artist can make the 32 and original albums only (no comps :evil: ). So as great as Smash Hits is, it doesn't make the cut.

It'd be great if we could use this thread to discuss the merits of albums and choose the one to go forward where we already have multiple nominations for an act.

A great list by the way. I nominated Hunky Dory earlier but I really love the Berlin albums too, so would be very happy with either Heroes or Low going through.

I had to stop mate…so many came to mind…I think in lieu of "Smash Hits" it would have to be "Are You Experienced?" then…and yes, Hunky Dory, Low, Heroes, Ziggy Stardust (which is an outstanding album of course…)

The Police - Regetta De Blanc

I agree with The Barbarian on The Specials for sure, great album…

…so many! I think I'll stop in case I start adding more ;-)

…let me cast my Nirvana vote. "Nevermind"…"In Utero" is a great album but "Nevermind" is brilliant. No Foo Fighters comes close!

…let me cast my Nirvana vote. "Nevermind"…"In Utero" is a great album but "Nevermind" is brilliant. No Foo Fighters comes close!

I agree. I saw Nirvana pre and post Nevermind. It became a bit too much of a circus for me in the end but that is the high water mark. It is a really tight album.

Given we have a lot of whittling to do to get down to 32, I think we should only take either a Nirvana or Foo Fighters album through.

I think both are worthy an entry, very different bands, i'd definitely rate Nevermind as Nirvana's best but Grohl shouldn't have his incredible body of work after that ignored solely because he drummed on it.

If you can only have 1 on that basis then surely you have to treat everything else he worked on in the same way, QOTSA, Tenacious D, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures, EoDM, etc etc.

I think both are worthy an entry, very different bands, i'd definitely rate Nevermind as Nirvana's best but Grohl shouldn't have his incredible body of work after that ignored solely because he drummed on it.

If you can only have 1 on that basis then surely you have to treat everything else he worked on in the same way, QOTSA, Tenacious D, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures, EoDM, etc etc.

Good point.

So which FF album should make the 32? Are there any that could lay a claim to being the best album of all time?

Good point.

So which FF album should make the 32? Are there any that could lay a claim to being the best album of all time?

personally my favourite is the colour and the shape, just, i'm a big fan so love pretty much all of it, i'd suggest that nothing left to lose and in your honour are probably up there as well

maybe we need to have an artist pre qualification system first to decide on the more popular album

as for a claim to being the best album off all time, probably not, but then you could say that for most of the artists suggested so far, in fact if thats what we are looking for (rather than an excuse to discuss and learn across genres) then Jordinho called it in the first reply

personally my favourite is the colour and the shape, just, i'm a big fan so love pretty much all of it, i'd suggest that nothing left to lose and in your honour are probably up there as well

maybe we need to have an artist pre qualification system first to decide on the more popular album

as for a claim to being the best album off all time, probably not, but then you could say that for most of the artists suggested so far, in fact if thats what we are looking for (rather than an excuse to discuss and learn across genres) then Jordinho called it in the first reply

This is only a bit of fun. Let the FF fans on here decide in this thread, which if any, of their albums should make the 32.

51TDZXWFQHL.jpg
nuyorican-soul.jpg
Air+(French)+-+Moon+Safari+10th+Anniversary+Edition+-+3+DISC+CD%2FDVD+SET-431277.jpg

Some good choices there Thingy. I haven't listened to any of them in ages. I like Open Up but always thought that it jarred a bit against the rest of Leftism. I want to listen to Original now :D

Impossible to say just one. So here's a few 10/10 albums.

5197PST18WL.jpg

homepage_large.91df6087.jpg

homepage_large.11184988.jpg

Fugazi13Songs.jpg

tumblr_krxqwfD6vC1qa2mx7.jpg

actress---r.i.p..jpg

StoogesFunHouse.jpg

GunsnRosesAppetiteforDestructionalbumcover.jpg

BadReligionNoControl.jpg

The_Future_Sound_Of_London-Dead_Cities.jpg

31M4MPGQCTL.jpg

primal_scream-screamadelica.jpg

51zhPdOeUhL._SY300_.jpg

Oriol_Night_And_Day.jpg

333.jpg

Some records I enjoy immensely from start to finish.

Back