• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

GG's favourite album of all time

The list so far including duplicates

Artist Album
Alice in Chains Dirt
Amy Winehouse back in black
Arctic Monkeys whatever people say I am that's what I'm not
At The Drive In Relationship of Command
ATCQ People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Beastie Boys Ill communication
Black Flag Damaged
Black Sabbath Master Of Reality
Blackstar Blackstar
Bob Dylan Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Marley Exodus
Captain Beyond S/T
Clutch S/T
Common Ressurection
David Bowie Hunky Dory
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising
Deep Purple Made In Japan
Dire Straights Brothers in Arms
Don McClean American Pie
Erik B and Rakim Paid In Full
Fleetwood Mac rumours
Foo Fighters the colour and the shape
Foo Fighters The Colour And The Shape
Foo Fighters In Your Honour
Fugees The Score
Funkadelic Maggot Brain
Gram Parsons Grievous Angel
Green Day Dookie
Guns n Roses Appetite for Destruction
Guns n Roses Appetite for Destruction
James Brown and the Famous Flames Live at the Apollo
Jay Z the black album
Jesus and Mary Chain Psychocandy
KIllers Hot Fuss
Kings of Leon Youth And Young Manhood
Kraftwerk he Man Machine
Kyuss Sky Valley
Led Zeplin II
Marillion Childhood's End
Mars Volta De-Loused in the Comatorium
Marvin Gaye What's Going On
Massive Attack Blue Lines
Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Melvins Houdini
My Bloody Valentine Loveless
Nas Illmatic
Nas Illmatic
Neil Young Harvest
Nirvana Nevermind
Nirvana In Utero
NWA Straight Outta Compton
Oasis Definitely Maybe
Oasis Definitely Maybe
Pavement Wowee Zowee
Pavement Slanted and Enchanted
Pearl Jam Ten
Pink Floyd wish you were here
Pink Floyd Animals
Primus Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
Public Enemy It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Queens of the Stone Age Queens of the Stone Age
Queens of the Stone Age Songs for the Dead
Radiohead Kid A
Radiohead OK Computer
Radiohead The Bends
Rage Against the Machine Rage Against the Machine
Rage Against The Machine Rage Against The Machine
Red Hot Chilli Peppers Californication
Roky Erickson The Evil One
Rush 2112
Rush Moving Pictures
Sleep Dopesmoker
Sonic Youth Daydream Nation
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Television Marquee Moon
the Beatles abbey road
The Clash London Calling
The Mothers of Invension Freak Out
the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street
The Smiths The Queen Is Dead
The Stone Roses The Stone Roses
the Strokes Is This It?
the Strokes Is This It?
The Who Who's Next
Toots and the Maytals Funky Kingston
Tribe Called Quest The Low End Theory
Velvet Underground Velvet Underground & Nico
White Stripes White Blood Cells
Wu Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Yes Close To The Edge

id suggest voting for a top 3 for each genre/sub genre and then having a final winner takes all poll after to find the overall no.1. or something like that?

probably got a bit more longevity in the thread that way and could also run a similar one for movies?

id suggest voting for a top 3 for each genre/sub genre and then having a final winner takes all poll after to find the overall no.1. or something like that?

probably got a bit more longevity in the thread that way and could also run a similar one for movies?

I was planning to pair albums off, post tracks from each and have a discussion on their merits, then a vote between them on which goes through to the next round. Running it through 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. I think that we might just have to have a primary to cut it down to 32 with a little gerrymandering to make the starting list more interesting.

nevermind
rumours
the black album
back in black
the stone roses
the colour and the shape
II
wish you were here
exile
abbey road
definitely maybe (chump)

I'd rate Revolver and Rubber Soul (and Help, Beatles for Sale, Sgt Peppers and the White Album) far higher

This is like a list of potential signings at the start of last summer. Ive never heard of most of it.

With good reason as it turned out.

I was planning to pair albums off, post tracks from each and have a discussion on their merits, then a vote between them on which goes through to the next round. Running it through 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1. I think that we might just have to have a primary to cut it down to 32 with a little gerrymandering to make the starting list more interesting.

ah good plan ;)

i always leaned more towards Harrison than Lennon or McCartney, and who doesn't love a bit of Octopus's Garden

Milo, you missed out Various - Now 32.

I can only assume it was ignored as it's a double album which obviously makes it somewhat unfair on all the other inferior dross you've posted.

In the spirit of the competition I will be a little more specific and suggest Tape 2 (the dance/pop tape) from the compilation. Now obviously Tape 1 has everything - possibly the most eclectic collection of chart hits since cavemen knocked sticks against shells and wrote the first three Status Quo albums. Which is why I feel it has to be left out, it wouldn't be fair otherwise - any album that can pair Cher's version of Walking in Memphis with Jimmy Nail's Big River cannot be of this Earth. It could only have been gifted to us by an advanced civilisation or possibly some kind of higher power.

now 32 is surely disqualified solely for containing a simply red song, and arguably their worst one at that

I can only assume it was ignored as it's a double album which obviously makes it somewhat unfair on all the other inferior dross you've posted.

In the spirit of the competition I will be a little more specific and suggest Tape 2 (the dance/pop tape) from the compilation. Now obviously Tape 1 has everything - possibly the most eclectic collection of chart hits since cavemen knocked sticks against shells and wrote the first three Status Quo albums. Which is why I feel it has to be left out, it wouldn't be fair otherwise - any album that can pair Cher's version of Walking in Memphis with Jimmy Nail's Big River cannot be of this Earth. It could only have been gifted to us by an advanced civilisation or possibly some kind of higher power.

No comps :evil:

i always leaned more towards Harrison than Lennon or McCartney, and who doesn't love a bit of Octopus's Garden

One of the things that I love about the mid-period albums is the strength of the Harrison tracks, Revolver particularly stands out for this.

Is that the one where he keeps saying (imagine this in Geordie) "she's lyin" over and over again?

GnR - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Faith No More - Angeldust
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Carole King - Tapestry
The Clash - London Calling
Led Zep - Led Zep IV
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Portishead- Dummy
Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Late to this one...interesting choices...still want to be sure of the criteria here Milo, thus just asking again...you want our opinions as to the BEST album (by an artist) or our FAVOURITE?

I will go with some personal favorites first (an aside -many have been mentioned here already so I won't list those) with a brief reason why...

Massive Attack - Protection...whilst their debut was a classic, their sophomore effort really crystalized everything their crew was all about, polished it a little and delivered one of the greatest songs of the 90s in 'Karmacoma'

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers...quite simply one of the two albums I feel has total symmetrical excellence (Dark Side Of The Moon is the other) and the album that basically did poor old Brian Wilson in for decades ( a shame because Pet Sounds isn't exactly shabby).

David Bowie - Heroes...many opt for Ziggy Stardust, and frankly, the man's catalogue is pretty much peerless until the 80s, but my personal favorites were the Berlin period, and of these "Heroes" had the greatest balance; 'Beauty & The Beast' is a sensational introduction...I love "Low" too BTW...

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The ********...simply superb. 10 punk songs that are actually more like pop they're that sticky. Timeless.

Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits...the only compilation released whilst he was alive, and as such, for me it's fair game. Has them all. Maestro. I was apparently at the Isle Of Wight but napping. Toddlers will do that. Sigh...

Faith No More - Angel Dust...an album which not only revealed the true dimension this band once had, but the influence they would have over modern music for years to come. Edgy, bold, unapologetic and visceral.

Underworld - Second Toughest In the Infants...a though choice, as Dubnobass...is superb too, but this gets the nod simply for the era and opening track 'Juanita...' soundscaping at 130bpms was never as much fun.

Goldie - Timeless...the dawning of a genre, an era and one of the wildest talents in British music & art (IMO), this album has textures and layers plus some energy! The 'official' launch pad of drum'n'bass (obviously there'd been great stuff prior, but this formalized it as a genre to be reckoned with)...

Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison..."I shot a man in Reno, just to watch-him-die/When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry"...the black heart speaking of black heart sadness with the voice of a calm, soothing angel. Incredible album.

...so many more...but I have to get some stuff done...more later if needed...I already know I'll kick myself for what I'm not putting down, but again, some have already been covered.

Back