• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I disagree.
Poch likes two things;
Pressing - Berb's won't do that, we know.
Ball retention - Berbs is the master.
You need s lot less pressing if the opposition don't get much of the ball

But you can't have any (defensive) passengers if you want a good high pressing side, imo at least. Was a rather lengthy interview with Schneiderlin back when Poch was at Southampton. Talked quite a bit about their pressing and how it was all initiated (and thus controlled/managed) by the lone forward. If he pressed, everyone else had to follow it up, if the striker stood off, everyone else had to adjust to that. I just don't see it working with Berbatov and I would rather see us sign more players that fit in, with the right mentality, as Pochettino highlighted in a recent interview.

bit of a myth the lazy tag with Berbatov imv - just had that look about him.

sure he was no workhorse but wasn't lazy by any means

Perhaps a bit similar to VdV. Another player who wasn't outright lazy, but was certainly lacking in discipline, and the kind of diligence needed to be a consistent effective member of a successful high pressing unit. In my opinion that also describes Berbatov, think he would be a poor fit for us for this reason.

For all the defending of his attitude that can be done, Ferguson kept dropping him after that initial successful season - and not because he wasn't scoring or creating from what I remember. Ferguson kept playing Welbeck ahead of him didn't he? And it's not like Ferguson was renowned for a extreme pressing style. But Berbatov couldn't be motivated to do enough, at United, in the prime of his career, under Ferguson, with a chance to win titles, glory and another big payday.

Instead... Fulham. Says it all for me.

I was a huge fan of Berbatov at the time. Him and Keane were an incredible partnership.

But I wouldn't be happy to have him back after the way he left. Others will disagree and that's fine... "spice of life" and all that... but I don't want to see him back at Spurs.

Head says yes, heart says no. As the 3rd choice striker who can step in he would be ideal and do a half decent job (wouldn't chase like Kane but he's no spring chicken). The aforementionned refusing to play etc however does make me say no.

But you can't have any (defensive) passengers if you want a good high pressing side, imo at least. Was a rather lengthy interview with Schneiderlin back when Poch was at Southampton. Talked quite a bit about their pressing and how it was all initiated (and thus controlled/managed) by the lone forward. If he pressed, everyone else had to follow it up, if the striker stood off, everyone else had to adjust to that. I just don't see it working with Berbatov and I would rather see us sign more players that fit in, with the right mentality, as Pochettino highlighted in a recent interview.

Perhaps a bit similar to VdV. Another player who wasn't outright lazy, but was certainly lacking in discipline, and the kind of diligence needed to be a consistent effective member of a successful high pressing unit. In my opinion that also describes Berbatov, think he would be a poor fit for us for this reason.

For all the defending of his attitude that can be done, Ferguson kept dropping him after that initial successful season - and not because he wasn't scoring or creating from what I remember. Ferguson kept playing Welbeck ahead of him didn't he? And it's not like Ferguson was renowned for a extreme pressing style. But Berbatov couldn't be motivated to do enough, at United, in the prime of his career, under Ferguson, with a chance to win titles, glory and another big payday.

I thought that Ferguson made his point when he left him out of the CL final squad, not for turning is Fergie.

Disagree mate, first of all VDV was the furthest thing from lazy or lacking in discipline. In fact I would argue that VDV just never learnt how to pace himself (unless you see that as a discipline issue), he ran himself into the ground every game. Our side this season with the VDV we had, would be in top 4 ...

SAF is not infallible, to me he bought Berbs because he knew his side badly needed flair, and yet he continued for a couple of years with a side full of workhorses and effort players. Berbatov did not fail at United, one of those media/fan myths, 48 goals in 108 appearances when he never was the first choice.

Not saying we should automatically go back for Berbatov, I suspect his legs are gone at this stage.

If Poch would turn down a VDV or Berbatov level player (the versions that played for us) because they won't run like Mason/Holtby, then I would be very concerned about his long term ability to succeed here. Our best seasons have been led by brilliant individuals, including this one with Kane, Rose & Lloris ..

Not true at all in his first 3 seasons he missed only 13 games out of 112 ( scoring 41 goals) and was the Lge's top scorer ( with Tevez) in his third season. It was only in his 4th season when he fell out with Fergie ( and we have seen that with several players) that he was in and out ( playing only 12 games and scoring 7 goals). And was sold at the end of that season, there is a lot of rubbish talked about Berbys time at Utd but from the fans point of view ( I have family who live in M/C and are ST holders and he was loved by the fans).

I'm in the bring back Berbatov camp too. As long as the adeybayor nutter moves as well. Won't happen, but we need a little class. Granted a moody looking berb and sulky vertonghen in a tight game could raise the old blood pressure

Pedro Obiang's future may be decided over the course of the next seven days as Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United vie for his signature.

The midfielder currently turns out for Sampdoria in Serie A, where he has enjoyed turning out under coach Sinisa Mihajlovic. However, the coach is poised to join AC Milan to succeed Filippo Inzaghi, something which has pushed Obiang closer to the exit door.

Sampdoria have been ready to cash in on Obiang, but Mihajlovic was keen to keep him. The coach's departure will remove an obstacle to Obiang's sale.

Indeed, according to Italian daily Il Secolo XIX, the midfielder's future is likely to be decided over the next seven days as Tottenham and West Ham bid to tempt him to London.

Spurs' Italian technical director Franco Baldini is a firm fan of the former Atletico Madrid starlet and is keen to take him to White Hart Lane.

But West Ham have been on Obiang's tail for a number of months and are pushing ahead with their own plans to sign the 23-year-old.

Obiang, who has represented Spain at Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 level, joined Sampdoria from Atletico Madrid in 2008.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2015/06...n-final-stages-of-pedro-obiang-tussle/212508/

It really is busy times for agents these days, everyone desperate to get their clients mentioned somewhere.

please GHod no to Obiang, not at all the type of midfielder we need.........weak, inconsistent, average ability. Stop Baldini now

please GHod no to Obiang, not at all the type of midfielder we need.........weak, inconsistent, average ability. Stop Baldini now
Oh come on!! He's BRILLIANT at going to the ground after even the slightest of touches! That's surely a quality we are lacking in our squad.

Not true at all in his first 3 seasons he missed only 13 games out of 112 ( scoring 41 goals) and was the Lge's top scorer ( with Tevez) in his third season. It was only in his 4th season when he fell out with Fergie ( and we have seen that with several players) that he was in and out ( playing only 12 games and scoring 7 goals). And was sold at the end of that season, there is a lot of rubbish talked about Berbys time at Utd but from the fans point of view ( I have family who live in M/C and are ST holders and he was loved by the fans).

He was signed for a huge sum, to be a starter for them I think. Look at the number of sub appearances after his initial season and I think that's a lot more telling than the number of games he "wasn't involved in". Although him being dropped from the bench in that CL final is quite telling...

I agree that the fans loved him, I have some United supporting fans who just like myself adored Berbatov and loved watching him play football. He really is wonderful to watch. I just don't think he's a good fit in our current team.

A new name on the radar

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...m-positioning-to-buy-young-bayern-munich-star

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is a young Danish midfielder (19) who is contracted to Bayern. Much like Rabiot was/is at PSG, he is a talented youngster finding it hard to come by starting opportunities at his current club. Bayern sent him out on loan to get some game time and according to reports it has now strengthened his opinion of his abilities and could consider leaving Bayern if Pep doesn't give him some starts. The above article states that we have been listed by German media as the interested English team.

The usual youtube scout makes him look like a second Bentaleb with extras. The two of them at the base of our midfield for the next few years would appear to be a good idea, but he's not the senior player that a lot of us would like to see added.

Back