• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

James Milner to be announced by Liverpool shortly apparently.

Talk of a £10 million sign on fee. Turned down 165k a week at City, so won't be far off that at Liverpool. Wants to play centrally.
£10m equivalent to £64k a week for 3years, so they could be paying £100k a week if the playing centrally is important, and of course the £10m is up front.

Well the transfer fee isn't too bad, he's 29 but is a fitness fanatic so think he can do 3/4 more years plus he's proven in the premiership and is versatile as well as having experience of winning trophies.

Wages will likely be lower than what City offered maybe 100K a week, he left because he wants to play regularly not for money so a fairly decent signing who should be able to hit the ground running.

Dynamo Kyiv’s Andriy Yarmolenko has aroused Rodgers’ interest too, but Tottenham’s antennae are also twitching. And the same two clubs – and Aston Villa – are in a face-off for Burnley’s Kieran Trippier. And like two pupils copying off each other in an exam with each hoping the other is not a dunce, Liverpool and Spurs are both also courting André Ayew, who is being serenaded by Roma too.

Spurs want another player from Marseille too, namely the 22-year-old midfield enforcer Giannelli Imbula, who is being eyed up by Chelsea, but Spurs reckon they have an edge because Marseille fancy taking Benjamin Stambouli in part-return.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/transfer-rumours-karim-benzema-liverpool

Not sure what's funnier, Real targeting Sterling or Liverpool thinking they can get Benzema.

£10m equivalent to £64k a week for 3years, so they could be paying £100k a week if the playing centrally is important, and of course the £10m is up front.
i would be surprised if the £10 million is up front.... Signing on fees are typically spread over the length of the contract and also referred to as 'loyalty bonuses'.

James Milner to be announced by Liverpool shortly apparently.

Talk of a £10 million sign on fee. Turned down 165k a week at City, so won't be far off that at Liverpool. Wants to play centrally.

Could be a very good signing for them. Would be interesting to know the true cost of the deal, I assume it's not going to get announced. If it's £10m + a wage near the top of what they offer players that seems like a lot.

Well the transfer fee isn't too bad, he's 29 but is a fitness fanatic so think he can do 3/4 more years plus he's proven in the premiership and is versatile as well as having experience of winning trophies.

Wages will likely be lower than what City offered maybe 100K a week, he left because he wants to play regularly not for money so a fairly decent signing who should be able to hit the ground running.

True. But how does that compare to a deal for say Schneiderlin (if the plan is to use Milner centrally anyway)? I would say in terms of cost it probably wouldn't be all that different, and 3-4 years from now Schneiderlin will have a good chunk of his career left.

He's a fitness fanatic, but he's also been playing football at a top level for a lot of years now (might have taken a toll).

He's also one of those who I suspect might drop quickly in quality as he gets slower. "Never relied on his pace" type player, but always relied on a lot of energy and on not being outright slow. Quite a few players like that get worse very quickly when they start getting slower, see Parker or Barry for example.

Good short term deal though, no doubt. And Liverpool are quite desperate for some good short term deals.

Reading today that Rodgers has got a budget to work on. Ings+Milner is going to take a chunk out of that, but you wonder how much they will invest and whether Liverpool can then go out and spend £20m+ on a couple of players (Yarmolenko and Benteke for instance).

Giannelli Imbula - Not heard of this dude, any good?

The times I've watched him he's been tidy enough, has a bit of everything to his game and energy if I recall. I guess being so young he has potential that Spurs tend to like in turning a profit down the line.

It's funny how the press keep linking us with Bielsa players, I only want one and that's Thauvin. :D

The times I've watched him he's been tidy enough, has a bit of everything to his game and energy if I recall. I guess being so young he has potential that Spurs tend to like in turning a profit down the line.

It's funny how the press keep linking us with Bielsa players, I only want one and that's Thauvin. :D
Any idea why Thauvin was in the Ligue 1 worst XI?

Reading today that Rodgers has got a budget to work on. Ings+Milner is going to take a chunk out of that, but you wonder how much they will invest and whether Liverpool can then go out and spend £20m+ on a couple of players (Yarmolenko and Benteke for instance).

The problem is, Pool replaced a WC player with a bunch of mid tier players in an ever changing system (and we see how that worked).

All the names I'm seeing them linked with are decent players, but not the type to push a top 6 side up a level or two. Ings+Milner would do a job for us, but we would still need the magic to come from elsewhere (Eriksen, Lamela, Kane).

I think Rodgers has no idea what he needs ... (would help if actually had a system/formation)

Any idea why Thauvin was in the Ligue 1 worst XI?

Most likely because he had a very good 2013-14, and admittedly his second half of this season was poor but he's only 22 and has shown a lot of potential. Rumour states he had a run in with Bielsa, but it could easily be down to form or frustration about being dropped, even if it is true.

Attitude problems wasn't it?.... and if so I think I'd steer clear of him.

You shouldn't rule him out based on one possible incident as he's young and people make mistakes.

The problem is, Pool replaced a WC player with a bunch of mid tier players in an ever changing system (and we see how that worked).

All the names I'm seeing them linked with are decent players, but not the type to push a top 6 side up a level or two. Ings+Milner would do a job for us, but we would still need the magic to come from elsewhere (Eriksen, Lamela, Kane).

I think Rodgers has no idea what he needs ... (would help if actually had a system/formation)

I don't know I think a central midfield of Henderson and Milner would be one of the strongest in the league. All those other players will have some experience now as well, Markovic looked good at his old club and Can is pretty highly rated too. Shouldn't write off people coming into the league in their first season. With a fully fit Coutinho and Sturridge and Ings ahead of those 2 that's not bad. Ibe is coming along nicely too. Not counting Sterling as I expect him to be off.

They still need more strength in depth and better full backs but they don't need a full blow revolution like the papers keep making out.

Shame about Milner. Not that I massively wanted him at Spurs, but I do think he'll strengthen Liverpool. They are teetering on the edge of a collapse to mid-table. Bringing in a couple of solid players (like Milner) will make that less likely... though I think they still need to bring in a better manager to significantly reduce the risk.

I agree. I also think that there are signs that Rodgers is losing (has lost) the dressing room.

Rodgers won't last a few months into the season. It's past the tipping point now, like Hoddle in summer 2003.

Berbatov has just been released by Monaco. Would anyone take him on a one-year deal as a 2nd/3rd choice and to help develop Kane?

Back