• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Tbh I wish that I had not mentioned the meeting it was a bit negative, I hope the scouting situation is being looked at now, we could have a big impact on the prem next year with a few more quality players.

Unless we bring in a new head scout/DoF/transfer guru/signing shaman I think what is being done with the scouting situation is being done quietly. There was the story not that long ago where Liverpool nicked one of our scouts that was reportedly working primarily in France. I had never heard of the guy when he left, can't remember his name now either.

Some clubs seem to always want to report it when a new back room signing is made, perhaps to appease the fans? Levy seems to value a bit of secrecy and keeps his cards close to his chest. I wouldn't be surprised if we've started working with several new scouts (either full time or part time) since AVB took over, but no one told the press.

Unless we bring in a new head scout/DoF/transfer guru/signing shaman I think what is being done with the scouting situation is being done quietly. There was the story not that long ago where Liverpool nicked one of our scouts that was reportedly working primarily in France. I had never heard of the guy when he left, can't remember his name now either.

Some clubs seem to always want to report it when a new back room signing is made, perhaps to appease the fans? Levy seems to value a bit of secrecy and keeps his cards close to his chest. I wouldn't be surprised if we've started working with several new scouts (either full time or part time) since AVB took over, but no one told the press.

With AVB's connections in Europe I think we shall sign some young "unknowns" and maybe two established players this summer, as you say maybe there are scouts all ready being used, it's going to be really interesting to see the type of player that AVB goes after.

With AVB's connections in Europe I think we shall sign some young "unknowns" and maybe two established players this summer, as you say maybe there are scouts all ready being used, it's going to be really interesting to see the type of player that AVB goes after.

Any potential signing for the summer should already be thoroughly scouted by now.

It's just our standard contract for senior players under c.28 I thought. Every contract we've done for at least the last 5 or 6 years is suppose to have been one of them.

It's not really our standard contract though is it? It's just a contract option we use somewhat frequently when we can. It's obviously beneficial to the club, but not all players/agents will accept them. I see no reason to assume that Bale has that type of contract at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy is overloaded with work. Our secretary left for United a while back while we have no DOF or chief scout atm. And there were rumors Levy's wife was gravely ill over the summer, though I hope she is fine now.

I'd like us to address the scouting issue quickly, at least by the time the summer window gets rolling.

You mean John Alexander? That was three years ago!

And we appointed a new one almost immediately - Darren Eales from West Brom.

Three years ago is when I thought the quality of our transfers went from signing Modric early to late bids for Dempsey :lol:

I guess that's mainly Harry's influence and the departure of Comolli (who was a good closer, regardless of what else you could say about him), but it worries me that our transfer proceedings seem to have gotten slower and slower over time. It takes us forever to get anything done and then in the end we have to trigger our plan B's contract. I don't know what the role of the secretary or head scout/DOF has to play here, but I'd hope it's not Levy doing more and more of the legwork.

i dont understand then why didnt we sign them this summer gone?

is there anything concrete-ish to hint that AVB has an extensive , deep and loyal network out there? AVB is the coach more than anything...i would have thought the scouting is someone else's department ...heavily influenced by the Levy / Enic policy

To be fair perhaps he wanted to come in and see what was needed and not alienate players like he supposedly done at Chelsea, I don't know what to believe, we are supposed to have this mutual relationship with RM but I know he has been in dialogue with Barca over the last month about some young players, he must surely know contacts/agents in Europe that he listens too, with the new stadium to be funded I can see a reliance on young unproven players over the next few years with not many big names coming to us.

To be fair perhaps he wanted to come in and see what was needed and not alienate players like he supposedly done at Chelsea, I don't know what to believe, we are supposed to have this mutual relationship with RM but I know he has been in dialogue with Barca over the last month about some young players, he must surely know contacts/agents in Europe that he listens too, with the new stadium to be funded I can see a reliance on young unproven players over the next few years with not many big names coming to us.

i think i see what you're trying to get at, makes sense in a way but personally i think its hopeful at best primarily because of the fact that AVB doesnt dictate policy at the club

for instance , this rumour of us being benteke....if ever there was a player that fits smack dead in the centre of our transfer policy its him.

chances of us signing an unknown for the first team squad IMO are very slim. i think we will get the benteke types that wont command 50 million but we can envisage our money being returned etc...or we will get well marketed but lower market talented players

i think i see what you're trying to get at, makes sense in a way but personally i think its hopeful at best primarily because of the fact that AVB doesnt dictate policy at the club

for instance , this rumour of us being benteke....if ever there was a player that fits smack dead in the centre of our transfer policy its him.

chances of us signing an unknown for the first team squad IMO are very slim. i think we will get the benteke types that wont command 50 million but we can envisage our money being returned etc...or we will get well marketed but lower market talented players

I think the new stadium is in the forefront of our thinking even Bale has mentioned how excited he is about the future of the club, Benteke/Remy is the grade of player we can attract I agree with you on this, good times ahead I feel, we need to win something next year, anything will do.

i dont understand then why didnt we sign them this summer gone?

is there anything concrete-ish to hint that AVB has an extensive , deep and loyal network out there? AVB is the coach more than anything...i would have thought the scouting is someone else's department ...heavily influenced by the Levy / Enic policy

With us needing a new centre back, a new central midfielder, a new attacking midfielder and a new striker (and arguably a new goalie) to go straight into the first team setup I think the focus was on bringing in players who could fit right in and start performing from the get go. As the team is getting more settled and balanced it seems likely that we can go for more unknown youngsters.

I think much of the impression of AVB as someone focusing on scouting is that he was a scout himself so he's likely to value that part of running a football club. Slightly more concrete-ish he did also spend a fairly long time scouting players in Brazil/South America during his spell without a job. Would point towards him valuing scouting quite highly, can you imagine many other PL managers doing the same?

Levy's transfer policy seems to fit with what AVB wants imo.

With us needing a new centre back, a new central midfielder, a new attacking midfielder and a new striker (and arguably a new goalie) to go straight into the first team setup I think the focus was on bringing in players who could fit right in and start performing from the get go. As the team is getting more settled and balanced it seems likely that we can go for more unknown youngsters.

I think much of the impression of AVB as someone focusing on scouting is that he was a scout himself so he's likely to value that part of running a football club. Slightly more concrete-ish he did also spend a fairly long time scouting players in Brazil/South America during his spell without a job. Would point towards him valuing scouting quite highly, can you imagine many other PL managers doing the same?

I think that most of last summer's signings had been identified before the change of manager.

I think that most of last summer's signings had been identified before the change of manager.

Depends what you mean by identified.

I think AVB at the very least would have had a chance to veto any signing he didn't like, more likely he agreed that these were the players we should bring in, although they were probably identified as some of our targets before he signed.

Hope we can tie Bale to a longer contract. We need to put a high transfer fee to put off other teams. I think we need to put something like over 80m price tag on him. Afterall we cannot buy a player of similiar quality if we sell him.

I think AVB at the very least would have had a chance to veto any signing he didn't like, more likely he agreed that these were the players we should bring in, although they were probably identified as some of our targets before he signed.

I'm not suggesting that the club signed players that he didn't want but we'd been linked with most of our signings for a while before AVB arrived.

as for the bit in bold, you say this but we have never actually done that to the point of if being a trend. our squad over the last 14 years has experienced every single need possible and been in every spectrum of transition and continuity available at the start of a summer and yet we have never ever truly gambled on a true unknown. we have bought youngsters but even they had marketability or their talent was enough to superceed the commercial needs of a transfer..and when that was the case we paid through the nose. as skyfarer says..commolli was a scatter gun type but he was a closer and he hit a few bulls eyes .

was AVB a talent scout though? didnt i hear he was an opposition scout and made dossiers on other teams and their players more for a competitive standpoint? if he is was primarily and full on talent scout then sure but i dont know what an oppostion scout does but i do know what a talent scout does and how they decide who to watch. If AVB wasnt a talent scout then who is to say his network is that extensive anyway?

hold on, when AVB didnt have a job he scouted players from south america for a long time? jeez thats dedication, where is that info anyway? is south america that lacking in talent that we couldnt find anyone for us this summer? why didnt we get anyone in? actually, where did you even read that from?

as for the policy, i think you have it the wrong way round....levy's policy doesnt fit with AVB....AVB was hired , IMHO , under the absolute knowlegde that he would have to work within the guidelines of levy's policy. AVB is levy's boy..., AVB is much more a coach than he is a SAF type manager, i mean think about it...if levy's transfer policy is right on the mark with AVBs then that means that upon all of AVBs scouting potential and talent assessment he actually sat there and thought "we dont need a striker, we should just only have adebayor extra, and if we want to get a striker we should go for leANDRO.....oh and dempsey is the man"

where as IMV, ade and leandro we from the administrations reccomendation and dempsey is a prem proven low risk squad purchase with american market potential.

i would be very surprised if we went for unknown youngsters for our first team squad like wenger does....and does successfully......next season

in which case i am not impressed with his talent scouting......he could have probably done better and for cheaper. how does swansea manage it? or anyone that gets good value for money as opposed to ones that coincidentally fit right in with our policy.

its so weird to hear people know exactly what the transfer agenda is now. i remember back in the day when we used to argue what it was, nayim at the time didnt think it was at it is now...stubborn as he was he fought tooth and nail against that idea that it was a risk to age to reward type optimisation. aaahh the memories

I'm not suggesting that the club signed players that he didn't want but we'd been linked with most of our signings for a while before AVB arrived.

I think they can and who knows they probably did do something he didnt like.

i dont think he has final say. certainly when this DoF arrives he will officially IMO not have the only final word

Back