• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

IT IS AN HONOUR TO BE GARETH’S MANAGER

By Andre Villas-Boas

Another season has gone by. A few players have stood out, a few players caught the eye and a few have been at another level.

Some, though, were simply outstanding. And in that small group is Gareth Bale.

As a manager you can only get to know a player fully when you start working with him. You see what makes him tick, get to know his personality and his character intimately and you see what he enjoys to do or not to do on the pitch.

Gareth had an impressive impact on me and my staff for the obvious reasons that we all know: his power, his leap and the innate talent that he has.

Everybody has seen that during our games this season but it’s away from the public eye in training where I’ve been privileged to witness his brilliance.

I was amazed by his ability to stop, turn, accelerate and change direction at incredible speed yet still remain composed enough to slot in that cross, that final pass or the shot which could make the difference on any given matchday.

Can Gareth evolve and become better? Like every player and like all of us in our profession, you have to say yes.

In the same way as Ajax and Barcelona breed their young players, Gareth’s experiences as a left-back, a winger and a striker have allowed him to live and experience different situations in the game to which he has had to adapt. When all of that knowledge becomes instinctive he will be able to further develop his game and we will continue to enjoy watching him play.

During pre-season in Baltimore, when I first approached Gareth to play as a lone striker his response was: “I can try, but it’s not my position.” How lucky can a manager be that out of an experiment you discover something that can work!

In my opinion, any single individual award that is won in a sport where you are so dependent on your team-mates is not always fair, but I raise a glass to the person who in their biggest moments of glory is able to recognise the importance of the ones that surround them on a daily basis and are able to share that glory with them.

Gareth has done exactly that with all of us at Tottenham Hotspur when he joined that elite group of players to have added the Footballer of the Year award to recognition by the PFA. That is down to Gareth’s humbleness and transparency as a person and makes him stand out as a great sportsman.

Congratulations Gareth it is a pleasure to work with you and an honour to be your manager.

This article is in the brochure for the Footballer of the Year Dinner at the Lancaster London, May 9.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/news/it-is-an-honour-to-be-gareths-manager/

IT IS AN HONOUR TO BE GARETH’S MANAGER

By Andre Villas-Boas

Another season has gone by. A few players have stood out, a few players caught the eye and a few have been at another level.

Some, though, were simply outstanding. And in that small group is Gareth Bale.

As a manager you can only get to know a player fully when you start working with him. You see what makes him tick, get to know his personality and his character intimately and you see what he enjoys to do or not to do on the pitch.

Gareth had an impressive impact on me and my staff for the obvious reasons that we all know: his power, his leap and the innate talent that he has.

Everybody has seen that during our games this season but it’s away from the public eye in training where I’ve been privileged to witness his brilliance.

I was amazed by his ability to stop, turn, accelerate and change direction at incredible speed yet still remain composed enough to slot in that cross, that final pass or the shot which could make the difference on any given matchday.

Can Gareth evolve and become better? Like every player and like all of us in our profession, you have to say yes.

In the same way as Ajax and Barcelona breed their young players, Gareth’s experiences as a left-back, a winger and a striker have allowed him to live and experience different situations in the game to which he has had to adapt. When all of that knowledge becomes instinctive he will be able to further develop his game and we will continue to enjoy watching him play.

During pre-season in Baltimore, when I first approached Gareth to play as a lone striker his response was: “I can try, but it’s not my position.” How lucky can a manager be that out of an experiment you discover something that can work!

In my opinion, any single individual award that is won in a sport where you are so dependent on your team-mates is not always fair, but I raise a glass to the person who in their biggest moments of glory is able to recognise the importance of the ones that surround them on a daily basis and are able to share that glory with them.

Gareth has done exactly that with all of us at Tottenham Hotspur when he joined that elite group of players to have added the Footballer of the Year award to recognition by the PFA. That is down to Gareth’s humbleness and transparency as a person and makes him stand out as a great sportsman.

Congratulations Gareth it is a pleasure to work with you and an honour to be your manager.

This article is in the brochure for the Footballer of the Year Dinner at the Lancaster London, May 9.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/news/it-is-an-honour-to-be-gareths-manager/

Impressed. With both Bale and AVB.

My ITK - Gareth agreed improved contract and will be announced some-point in the next two weeks..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/09/gareth-bale-tottenham-hotspur

Gareth Bale gives the clearest hint yet he wants to stay at Tottenham

• Bale says it will be blow if Spurs fail to finish in top four
• Winger says the club 'has grown and are doing everything right'

Owen Gibson
The Guardian, Thursday 9 May 2013 23.00 BST

Gareth Bale of Tottenham
'All our objectives are the same, we just have to try to achieve them now,' says Gareth Bale of Tottenham. Photograph: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Gareth Bale has given the clearest hint yet that he wants to stay at Tottenham Hotspur next season but admitted it will be a big blow if they miss out on Champions League qualification.

The Spurs midfielder, who was on Thursday night given the Football Writers' Association footballer of the year award to add to the PFA player and young player of the year trophies he has already won, said the club was "doing everything right" and that he and they had "grown together" over the years.

Bale is expected to be offered a four-year contract in the summer in recognition of a stellar season, amid increased confidence among the Spurs hierarchy that he will be persuaded to stay.

"We set our agenda at the start of the season to qualify for the Champions League. We want to finish in the top four and it will feel like a disappointment if we don't get there," the 23-year-old told the Guardian.

"The club has grown every year and I've become a better player every year. We've had a taste of Champions League football and that's where we want to be again. That's where the club needs to be to get to the next level. That's what we're trying to do this season to lift the club to better things."

The 2-2 draw at Chelsea left Tottenham's fate out of their hands in the race for the top four but the manager, André Villas-Boas, has told supporters to "keep the faith" for their final two matches against Stoke and Sunderland.

Bale, who has taken to a new central role this season to devastating effect, lauded the progress made under the chairman, Daniel Levy, since he joined six years ago from Southampton and said he and the club shared the same objectives.

"I want to play at the highest level possible and be playing against the best teams in the world. I think the club is going in the right direction. All our objectives are the same, we just have to try to achieve them now," he said.

Bale, unveiled by BT as one of a number of ambassadors for its new sport channel, has thrived on the extra responsibility handed to him by Villas-Boas and said the squad was the best he had played in.

"We're all working well as a team. We're all working together. The club is going in the right direction, bringing in better players every season," Bale said.

"The likes of Mousa [Dembélé] and Jan [Vertonghen] have been fantastic additions to the squad and I'm sure we'll bring in a few more players into the squad again this summer. It's just a matter of progressing for everyone and reaching our targets."

Bale, who has scored a string of spectacular and crucial goals this season, said he was comfortable with the elevated level of trust placed in him by Villas-Boas.

"When you're younger, you're quite daunted by the manager. As I've got older, I've also got a lot closer and become a more important player so you speak to the manager more," he said.

"This year I've been handed a lot more responsibility, which has been great. I believe I've been able to motivate myself and make myself a better player by it."

He also paid tribute to the careful husbandry of Tottenham's resources under Levy and said it was important that the club had been able to grow in a sustainable way, particularly given the introduction of the Premier League's financial rules.

"Everything has changed. When I first arrived there was talk of a new training ground and a new stadium. As the years have gone in, it's got better and better. The training ground has happened and next it'll be the stadium. The club is growing and I think it's growing within its own means," he said.

Drawing a distinction between Spurs and other clubs that had spent beyond their means, he said: "That's why the rules are in place now. We've seen a lot of clubs before that have made that mistake. But Tottenham have shown they can make a profit every season and they're doing it the right way. Everyone is in the same boat and they're doing everything right."

Senior Spurs insiders are increasingly confident Bale will stay, even if they miss out on the fourth Champions League place, and the player believes that the squad have matured together and are hitting their peak.

"We're all of a similar age. We're all around our mid-20s. We've been playing together for three, four, five years," he said. "We've got a good firm English base there as well, which is always important for a club like Tottenham. We're heading in the right direction and hopefully there is still a lot more to come from the team."

Bale also insisted there is "a lot more to come" from himself, that he is on an "upward slope" and still learning what was required of him in a more central position.

Asked how he could improve on his impressive season, he said: "Score more goals. More with my right, more with my left. I think you just have to keep going, keep plugging away. Even your best players – if you look at Lionel Messi, [each year] he scores more goals than he has any other year. Cristiano Ronaldo is the same. There is still plenty more to improve. I just have to keep my focus at this level and take it further."

It's on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22485244

Seeing as he signed a new 4+2 -year deal only last summer on a reported £100k pw, we must really be breaking the bank for this one.

I take your point but it is just AVB saying he would like him to get a new contract.. Not that is agreed or the club announcing it.. The only bit of information that I have been told that this guy got "wrong" was on Zeki Fryers and he said he didnt know what happened with that when he moved to Liege and then obviously he joined anyway..

I take your point but it is just AVB saying he would like him to get a new contract.. Not that is agreed or the club announcing it.. The only bit of information that I have been told that this guy got "wrong" was on Zeki Fryers and he said he didnt know what happened with that when he moved to Liege and then obviously he joined anyway..

I didn't mean it as critical - I meant that the story to some extent supported the direction of your claim (yours appeared a good few hours before it anyway).

The Guardian reported £130k pw

I heard that there are four business men involved in this and through sponsorship they are going to make the difference from what he is on now to £135k a week, I am a little itk on this, I was first told 4 weeks ago, while I am divulging things I was also told that Levy is arrogant and so far up his on arse it is unbelievable, he was an hour and a half late for an important meeting with sainsburys over the new build and never even apologised, tinkled a few people off.

I heard that there are four business men involved in this and through sponsorship they are going to make the difference from what he is on now to £135k a week, I am a little itk on this, I was first told 4 weeks ago, while I am divulging things I was also told that Levy is arrogant and so far up his on arse it is unbelievable, he was an hour and a half late for an important meeting with sainsburys over the new build and never even apologised, tinkled a few people off.

Do you mean arrogant for this meeting or he is also doing silly things in contract negotiations too?

Do you mean arrogant for this meeting or he is also doing silly things in contract negotiations too?

He is very short and sharp, also full of his self, that is the way it came across, being 11/2 hours late for a meeting with top execs and not apologising is not going to make people like him.

I appreciate he is probably a very busy man, the person I know was at the meeting.

Everything I say only relates to the impression given at this particular meeting.

Last edited:

Can you provide proof for the "plus 2" part? Just because we did a couple of them a few years back doesn't mean it's the same for every contract.

It's just our standard contract for senior players under c.28 I thought. Every contract we've done for at least the last 5 or 6 years is suppose to have been one of them.

He is very short and sharp, also full of his self, that is the way it came across, being 11/2 hours late for a meeting with top execs and not apologising is not going to make people like him.

I appreciate he is probably a very busy man, the person I know was at the meeting.

Everything I say only relates to the impression given at this particular meeting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy is overloaded with work. Our secretary left for United a while back while we have no DOF or chief scout atm. And there were rumors Levy's wife was gravely ill over the summer, though I hope she is fine now.

I'd like us to address the scouting issue quickly, at least by the time the summer window gets rolling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levy is overloaded with work. Our secretary left for United a while back while we have no DOF or chief scout atm. And there were rumors Levy's wife was gravely ill over the summer, though I hope she is fine now.

I'd like us to address the scouting issue quickly, at least by the time the summer window gets rolling.

Tbh I wish that I had not mentioned the meeting it was a bit negative, I hope the scouting situation is being looked at now, we could have a big impact on the prem next year with a few more quality players.

Back