• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

If we had a solid enough defence we could afford to sit back at 0-0 invite the opposition on to us and destroy them on the break.
Most people on here would hate it though.

Not against the teams that would take a draw against us, because they wouldn't really commit men forward as long as it's 0-0.

That's why it's rare to see a team relying on mainly counter attacks become a top side over time.

If we had a solid enough defence we could afford to sit back at 0-0 invite the opposition on to us and destroy them on the break.
Most people on here would hate it though.

how about just sitting deep for 10 mins at the mid point of every half?
deliberately parking the bus, recharging the batteries with cautious pressing, and hoping to lure the opposition out to break with bale or lennon.
for the rest of the time we can revert back to the high line pressing game.

yes its about the ebb and flow of the game, but that should be within out control too. the best teams (manager included) are able to cede possession willingly and still remain in control.

gotta wonder when avb is going to incorporate some tactics that allows bale to be set free on the counter like this:

He was playing as a striker today, if we gave him a free role it would give him the flexibility to turn up where he wants to be and exploit the spaces and gaps. Pidgeonholing him to the left will only restrict the damage he can do.

He was playing as a striker today, if we gave him a free role it would give him the flexibility to turn up where he wants to be and exploit the spaces and gaps. Pidgeonholing him to the left will only restrict the damage he can do.

Giving him a free role will only damage the team shape.

Which position are you wishing to sacrifice so he can turn up wherever? I assume we'd need another LW as we can't do without the width.

Gareth is our best player. Let's do everything we can to get the best out of him. Can't wait until Ade returns.

Giving him a free role will only damage the team shape.

Which position are you wishing to sacrifice so he can turn up wherever? I assume we'd need another LW as we can't do without the width.

Holtby can play LW. It would also be a good way to bed him into the prem to, like we did with modric. Basically we give bale, dempseys position, as he is in a free role he won't really affect the two banks of four shape and all.

Holtby can play LW. It would also be a good way to bed him into the prem to, like we did with modric. Basically we give bale, dempseys position, as he is in a free role he won't really affect the two banks of four shape and all.

So you're sacrificing Dempsey? The only one of our forwards to score in the last five games?

Got it.

So you're sacrificing Dempsey? The only one of our forwards to score in the last five games?

Got it.
I said dempsey's position, I haven't mentioned what I would do about the Lone striker. He has scored goals for us, but I would love someone we could play off.

We need someone to link play and create chances in that number 10 role.
As good as Bale is he can't do any of that.
He isn't a passer.

might be worth putting holtby as the no.10 for the next game and inject some of the shalke experience before it wears off

..................Bale
Holtby......Dempsey......Lennon
........Dembele.....Parker

?

..................Bale
Holtby......Dempsey......Lennon
........Dembele.....Parker

?

Bale looked totally out of his depth when he played up front against LA Galaxy in pre-season and I think he is wholly unsuited to playing there. I think it would be highly impractical to attempt to force those 6 players into the same team. Even if they are all better players than him, Defoe has to start while we are without Ade.

Yeah, I thought the same.

I wonder if all could inter change. When Bale goes to the left, Dempsey goes up top and Holtby plays off him etc. I think it would be too risky anyway to try this late in the season.

I can't help but think that the reaction people on here have had to Bale's performance tonight hints at what went wrong last season, and what can be the frustrating thing about bale. He's an amazing, unique player, and he very definitely knows it. The problem is that he thinks he's capable of doing far more than he actually achieves. The moment the spotlight falls onto him he can become quite selfish...instead of just continuing to do what he has been doing well, he starts trying to do all sorts of things that he cant do particularly well...he'll start picking up the ball and taking 30 yard shots on his right foot etc. Obviously none of this is a problem if it works, but it often doesnt. Playing him in the centre of the pitch is a bad idea...he's not very comfortable getting the ball in tight areas imo, all of his good work comes when he has space to exploit. Harry tried it, and overindulged him imho. I enjoy watching Bale destroy defences as much as anyone here, but Im cautious of getting ahead of ourselves. There was a guardian article not long ago discussing whether Ronaldo is as much of a strength for your side as a weakness; I think that Bale has shown signs of developing into a player who poses a similar issue.

I can't help but think that the reaction people on here have had to Bale's performance tonight hints at what went wrong last season, and what can be the frustrating thing about bale. He's an amazing, unique player, and he very definitely knows it. The problem is that he thinks he's capable of doing far more than he actually achieves. The moment the spotlight falls onto him he can become quite selfish...instead of just continuing to do what he has been doing well, he starts trying to do all sorts of things that he cant do particularly well...he'll start picking up the ball and taking 30 yard shots on his right foot etc. Obviously none of this is a problem if it works, but it often doesnt. Playing him in the centre of the pitch is a bad idea...he's not very comfortable getting the ball in tight areas imo, all of his good work comes when he has space to exploit. Harry tried it, and overindulged him imho. I enjoy watching Bale destroy defences as much as anyone here, but Im cautious of getting ahead of ourselves. There was a guardian article not long ago discussing whether Ronaldo is as much of a strength for your side as a weakness; I think that Bale has shown signs of developing into a player who poses a similar issue.

Yet find me a manager in the World who wouldn't take Ronaldo? or what side he wouldn't walk into? The goal is actually very much a Ronaldo goal, watch the .gif on 101greatgoals, you could see a lot of resemblance.

People are reading way too much into Bale/Parker/Dembele/back 4/etc. Fact is, RVP/Tevez/Saurez (on current form)/even fudging Michu would make Spurs top 3.

The only reason we are not breathing down the neck of the two Manchester sides is Ade/JD are not converting enough, nothing else.

Aside from a fantastic goal, he was pony tonight, just as he was against United and Leeds

exactly.

no doubt people will see the goal and hype him up and praise him though. He was toilet but he is one of the only players in our team who could play as brick as he has been and pull out something like that!

I dont agree that he was poor. He was always the one player who looked like any semblance of his usual self, when he picked it up, he at least looked as though he had the thing under control

Back