• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Andre Villas-Boas has revealed Tottenham chartered a private jet to ensure Emmanuel Adebayor made it back in time for their 2-1 win over Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Adebayor infuriated some Spurs fans when he waited until five days after Togo’s elimination from the Africa Cup of Nations before travelling back to London despite being the club’s only fit striker.

Villas-Boas wanted Adebayor back in training on Friday but the 28-year-old did not land back in England until 6pm that day so missed the session and was subsequently named on the bench against the Magpies.

Indeed, the only way Spurs could get their man back to Britain was by hiring a plane for him.

‘Yes, [we sent a jet to get him],’ boss Villas-Boas said.

‘He helped the team get the result so it is good to get him back.

‘It’s very difficult. First, he was authorised to come back on Friday. Some issues arose that have put that comeback in jeopardy but he still was in time to come back and make an impact from the bench.’

Adebayor played an important role in setting up Gareth Bale for his second goal, knocking the ball down to the Welshman before he raced clear and nutmegged Tim Krul with 12 minutes left.

The 23-year-old had set Spurs on their way to victory with a fine 25-yard free-kick on five minutes.

Villas-Boas, who had earlier compared Bale to Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, added: ‘He’s [Bale] on a par with the best players in the world.

‘When he plays down the middle it gives him so much freedom.

‘It doesn’t mean we will always stick with that position but I think he is such a good player that he is able to play in different roles and positions for us.’

Emirates Marketing Project stars Yaya and Kolo Toure saw their Ivory Coast team knocked out of the Africa Cup of Nations last Sunday.

Both players were back in Manchester by Wednesday. Adebayor’s Togo were eliminated on the Sunday but did not even leave his hotel in Mpumalanga, South Africa, until Wednesday.

During the time he was absent, his Spurs team-mate Clint Dempsey flew to Honduras and back for a friendly with the USA.

So if we can trust what AVB is saying that's pretty much that conversation over then?

Well this, from The Guardian, paints it in a rather different light (especially the section highlighted in bold):

It was known that the striker and his team-mates left their hotel in Nelspruit on Wednesday and were bound for the airport in the South African city but thereafter the picture becomes hazy. André Villas-Boas did little to bring clarity when he was asked from where in Africa the club's jet had collected Adebayor. "I'm not sure," the Tottenham manager replied.

The details of Adebayor's missing hours must wait and Villas-Boas was keen to draw a line under the affair, which had served to test his preparations for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's visit. But he did say he would seek an explanation from the player about his failure to make it back in time for the team's 3pm training session on Friday. "We shall but we're done talking about it publicly," Villas-Boas said.

"He arrived on Friday at around six o'clock, he landed in Luton and so he joined the team at the hotel. First he was authorised to come back on Friday but some issues arose that put that in jeopardy. But he was still in time to make an impact from the bench. Obviously we don't have lots of striker options so it was a sensible decision."

Outrageous that Spurs had to pay for a private jet to get him back in time. As if paying him £100K + per week isn't enough.

short answer? trust or distrust him if it makes you feel better.
long answer - we'll never know
real answer - who cares as long as we still get results on the pitch? (we can bring this up during the silly season again)

Well this, from The Guardian, paints it in a rather different light (especially the section highlighted in bold):

Outrageous that Spurs had to pay for a private jet to get him back in time. As if paying him £100K + per week isn't enough.

That Grauniad match report does a remarkably poor job of you know, reporting on the match.
Seems that the writer prefers to flog this dead horse issue of Adebayor to the detriment of enlightening people to a great degree about the actual events on the field involving the teams and players.
Hytner is a strange journalist.

short answer? trust or distrust him if it makes you feel better.
long answer - we'll never know
real answer - who cares as long as we still get results on the pitch? (we can bring this up during the silly season again)

I care.

Of course results matter. But that doesn't mean that we should ignore everything else if results go well. Ade has clearly behaved less than professionally over the past week.

And when he's paid in excess of £100K per week - effectively by people who earn, in a year, one fifth of what he earns in a week - then it really isn't acceptable.

That Grauniad match report does a remarkably poor job of you know, reporting on the match.
Seems that the writer prefers to flog this dead horse issue of Adebayor to the detriment of enlightening people to a great degree about the actual events on the field involving the teams and players.
Hytner is a strange journalist.

Journalist focusing on a negative back story after a positive result?..........no surprise there. It's what they do, sadly.

Journalist focusing on a negative back story after a positive result?..........no surprise there. It's what they do, sadly.

He's kind of a Spurs fan.
But quite likely one who has experienced so much heartache and disappointment that it almost makes him more negative towards us than a neutral.

I care.

Of course results matter. But that doesn't mean that we should ignore everything else if results go well. Ade has clearly behaved less than professionally over the past week.

And when he's paid in excess of £100K per week - effectively by people who earn, in a year, one fifth of what he earns in a week - then it really isn't acceptable.

of course we all care about the larger issues. but now's not the time to get into the details simply because there's just not enough evidence. if i can counter the prevailing negative train of thought with my own speculation:
- ade must have some real issue/personal crisis to do something like this
- AVB is sympathetic and allows him time off
- the club is supportive and offers him their private jet
- since verts and bae didn't play and ade did... looks like ade is OK
- plus he got an assist for bale, AVB vindicated.

of course we all care about the larger issues. but now's not the time to get into the details simply because there's just not enough evidence. if i can counter the prevailing negative train of thought with my own speculation:
- ade must have some real issue/personal crisis to do something like this
- AVB is sympathetic and allows him time off
- the club is supportive and offers him their private jet
- since verts and bae didn't play and ade did... looks like ade is OK
- plus he got an assist for bale, AVB vindicated.

An excellent summation of things...I'm taking your lead here...

As for the booing i was under the impression that that was the Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans booing Bale as he was on the floor rolling over at that time.

It's silly to boo regardless but even more silly when it's all based on hearsay. We don't know what went down and let's just hope they solve it because we need Ade

I am afraid that we are getting to know the real Adebayor . It has happened for both Arsenal and City . He was a prime example of a proffesional in his first season , and then a complete bunghole in the second season , both at Arsenal and City .

Just look at his behaviour towards Togo AFCON and Spurs , I am not going to play , I am going to play , it's not safe yada yada yada , oh wait I wanna go afterall .
And then his interview (during AFCON for Togo), I am the captain , I am the teamleader , I say that our coach suck , I don't wanna return to England , I say that my teammates are going to stay longer and fly on MY jet . What the fudge does he think he is !!!!!!!
There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for him not to return to Spurs , we gave him 3 days off . Who else got 3 days off that plays in the PL , and he still doesn't make the flight !!!!. And then Spurs have to send a Jet to get that lazy ungratefull full of himself limited footballer at 100k a week .

I can understand AVB a little bit since we don't have any strikers . But if we had strikers and Spurs had acted in the same way ,I would be very dissapointed !

He should be fined and if we had other strikers I would want him on the transfer list . I don't care if he had an assist and is our only striker at the moment , his behaviour is extremely disrespectfull !!!!!!!
Nobody is bigger than the club , and Adebayor isn't even that good , his form this year has been dogbrick . Sell him to Russia or China in the summer , would be best for all of us .

clown shoe !!!! Adebayor is not a YIDDO !!!!!! Selfish **** is what he is

I am afraid that we are getting to know the real Adebayor . It has happened for both Arsenal and City . He was a prime example of a proffesional in his first season , and then a complete bunghole in the second season , both at Arsenal and City .

Just look at his behaviour towards Togo AFCON and Spurs , I am not going to play , I am going to play , it's not safe yada yada yada , oh wait I wanna go afterall .
And then his interview (during AFCON for Togo), I am the captain , I am the teamleader , I say that our coach suck , I don't wanna return to England , I say that my teammates are going to stay longer and fly on MY jet . What the fudge does he think he is !!!!!!!
There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for him not to return to Spurs , we gave him 3 days off . Who else got 3 days off that plays in the PL , and he still doesn't make the flight !!!!. And then Spurs have to send a Jet to get that lazy ungratefull full of himself limited footballer at 100k a week .

I can understand AVB a little bit since we don't have any strikers . But if we had strikers and Spurs had acted in the same way ,I would be very dissapointed !

He should be fined and if we had other strikers I would want him on the transfer list . I don't care if he had an assist and is our only striker at the moment , his behaviour is extremely disrespectfull !!!!!!!
Nobody is bigger than the club , and Adebayor isn't even that good , his form this year has been dogbrick . Sell him to Russia or China in the summer , would be best for all of us .

clown shoe !!!! Adebayor is not a YIDDO !!!!!! Selfish **** is what he is

I don't think what Ade did at City was particularly bad at all. He wasn't given playing time and wanted to leave, big whoop. We see the same all the time. At Arsenal he forced a move, sure, wasn't as bad as what Dempsey did at Fulham imo, I don't see anyone calling him a clown shoe.

The Togo and ACN story I think you have wrong. It was made quite clear at the time that he was suspending his international career because of an issue between the players and the (incompetent) Togolese FA. As their captain and biggest star he was standing by the rest of the players as their FA was trying to screw them out of bonuses etc. Probably not big money to Ade, but probably substantial money to some of the other players in the squad. It was always very likely that he would return to the team and play.

We don't know the details about why he didn't return in time for the Friday training. He could very well be fined for that, that happens. Your reaction seems way over the top.

Yes he's probably fairly selfish, along with the vast majority of football players. He has given quite a lot back to his native land, it's been reported that he donates quite a bit of his wages to various charities etc. He probably cares more about Togo than about Spurs, I can live with that.

Edit: One more thing, if you're really complaining about or making light of Ade making an issue about safety when playing for Togo at the ACN you deserve as much of a rant in your direction as the one you just aimed at Ade. Makes it very difficult to take you seriously and makes you look like a troll in my eyes.

Last edited:
I don't think what Ade did at City was particularly bad at all. He wasn't given playing time and wanted to leave, big whoop. We see the same all the time. At Arsenal he forced a move, sure, wasn't as bad as what Dempsey did at Fulham imo, I don't see anyone calling him a clown shoe.

The Togo and ACN story I think you have wrong. It was made quite clear at the time that he was suspending his international career because of an issue between the players and the (incompetent) Togolese FA. As their captain and biggest star he was standing by the rest of the players as their FA was trying to screw them out of bonuses etc. Probably not big money to Ade, but probably substantial money to some of the other players in the squad. It was always very likely that he would return to the team and play.

We don't know the details about why he didn't return in time for the Friday training. He could very well be fined for that, that happens. Your reaction seems way over the top.

Yes he's probably fairly selfish, along with the vast majority of football players. He has given quite a lot back to his native land, it's been reported that he donates quite a bit of his wages to various charities etc. He probably cares more about Togo than about Spurs, I can live with that.

Edit: One more thing, if you're really complaining about or making light of Ade making an issue about safety when playing for Togo at the ACN you deserve as much of a rant in your direction as the one you just aimed at Ade. Makes it very difficult to take you seriously and makes you look like a troll in my eyes.

Well said

Back