• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

So the one striker we have now, who potentially can bring the best out of some of our more fustrating attacking midfielders was booed when he came on?

Well, perhaps they'd prefer he just doesn't play at all now whilst we get overtaken by our top four place to rivals who have more firepower than us

Some people :rolleyes:

Didn't hear any booing for him. A few wry comments were made but no boos that I heard. Love to know who heard what and where?

i thought ade looked good yesterday, both collocini and taylor were totally glued to him, which created more space around them.

i thought ade looked good yesterday, both collocini and taylor were totally glued to him, which created more space around them.

That was the point i was making early on, once Ade came we had someone who held the ball up and aloud bale more room to play in.

Didn't hear any booing for him. A few wry comments were made but no boos that I heard. Love to know who heard what and where?

Sounded to me like the consensus was from the whole stadium, being in the upper tier you get that with boos. It seemed to happen before he came on.. Holtby must have thought they were booing him coming off.

Agree, I do believe moving Dempsey to the left and having Ade play down the middle helped.

But I think we are a very dangerous team when teams attack us. All chances in the 2nd half came on the counter and pretty much didn't happen because Ade was on the pitch, but because of pace, power of out attacks from our own half. See Bale and Dempsey goals at Old Trafford as examples of this... even against Norwich.

He's still a **** though.

I'm no fan of his and I don't rate him that high either, but it's counter productive when fans boo their own. Need an example? Look a few miles down the road at Chelsea.

Sounded to me like the consensus was from the whole stadium, being in the upper tier you get that with boos. It seemed to happen before he came on.. Holtby must have thought they were booing him coming off.
That's what I was thinking actually. The boos happened when Holtby was coming off, but had pretty much stopped before he reached the end of the pitch, by the time Ade had taken a few steps onto the pitch there were cheers and clapping. At least, that's how it sounded to me.

I suppose it would be incredibly naive of me to hope that Holtby and Ade take that as the crowd were unhappy to see Holtby going off, but wanted to cheer and clap them both?

It was hilarious when Arsenal booed their own players, it still is funny that Chelsea boo their own players, it's really disappointing that we boo our own players. Considering how much we're going to be counting on Ade for the future it was a really strange thing to hear, especially given how diplomatic AVB has been and how well he has man managed everyone.

I'm not sure what people think booing is going to achieve in that situation... Some people seem to think AVB should have clashed with Ade on 4 occasions, on top of that the crowd should boo him and expect all that stuff to spur on someone like Ade? I don't get it, even if you hate Ade, it's not like we can exchange him for Falcao, so demotivating him seems strange. It's not like anyone even knows what happened anyway. AVB could have given him a few days off in an attempt to improve a manager-player relationship that AVB hopes will last for years and figured losing a few days of training and risking another 1-2 would be worth it. If you look at how AVB handled Lloris coming in and other situations, he generally takes a long term approach.

It's not like booing has ever helped anyway. Blackburn, Chelsea, the England World Cup team... Hell, if you want an example of how fragile footballers are mentally, Wayne Rooney's "loyal support" response to being booed during the world cup came as his form dipped for the majority of a season, the boos did not jerk him back into life. But that was booing a country anyway, a team you want to do well because it is your country... Fans booing someone playing for a club that doesn't have that sort of connection seems so weird to me.

Considering we boo opposition players at the risk of inspiring them to play well to spite us, it seems strange we'd boo our own players... I just can't wrap my head around it, should we start cheering Arsenal/Chelsea players and any player that nearly breaks one of our players' legs? Maybe we could boo Bale and see if that convinces him to stay at the club? I really don't get why you'd boo someone that you need to play well.

Just so people know.. I didnt boo any player and never would.
I do though think its the club in the wrong as much as the player.. Club should just come out and say "Back Saturday" 4 games in # days. knackered.

Saying that.. I honestly think its all been mind games for Saudi Sportswashing Machine to stew about.

Just so people know.. I didnt boo any player and never would.
I do though think its the club in the wrong as much as the player.. Club should just come out and say "Back Saturday" 4 games in # days. knackered.

Saying that.. I honestly think its all been mind games for Saudi Sportswashing Machine to stew about.

I think you're kidding yourself. The situation with Adebayor looks farcical. He wasn't even meant to be going to ACN in the first place.

1. Agreed that there is something different about an international tournament. Different......but not necessarily more tiring or more pressurised. And there could also be something to say for the adage that a change is as good as a rest.

2. Four games in 12 days is a slightly tighter schedule than City's four games in 15 days (from 19th Jan to 3rd Feb). But in Ade's and Spurs' case (and that's what we're really talking about here, after all), it was the difference between four games in a tad over 12 days and four games in a tad under 14 days. Not such a huge difference, really.

3. I think we have to give Southampton under Pochettino a bit more credit. They've been playing very well and with such high energy since he arrived. Superb pressing of the ball. They even made Utd look like mugs at Old Trafford. So it wasn't just that Yaya was playing especially badly today. Plenty of other City players couldn't get to grips with today's game either. And they haven't been away.

You make some good points.

I just wanted to compare the situations. Yaya was supposed to come back to "save City", he is their talisman, their "only one" as Mancini put it. He rushed back from South Africa, joined in training, back in the starting line-up and made no difference at all, arguably was worse than some of the other players that could have started in his place.

Ade isn't our talisman, but with Defoe out many people were looking for Ade to come back and save us. He didn't rush back from South Africa, either by his own (misguided) choice, after an agreement with AVB or after a combination of the two or a combination of one of them and some bad luck with a flight etc. We really don't know. Either way, he was on the bench, we did alright without him, he came on and made himself useful in that game as a sub and looks ready to start the next game, most likely quite fresh.

I'm just saying that at the very least you can't say that the approach Yaya Toure and City took was definitely the best one based on what happened. Maybe accepting that those 4 games in 12 days, with the extra time, with the added pressure etc was something that would take a bit of time to recover from.

If my memory serves me it seems to me that there was a similar situation last season when Toure returned from the ACN to City and struggled to return to his best form for some time after that, hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps the approach we took was a good one, be it by design or by luck.

If Ade went AWOL that's not an excuse of course, just to be clear.

I think you're kidding yourself. The situation with Adebayor looks farcical. He wasn't even meant to be going to ACN in the first place.

Meh, can't blame him for going... We all expected him to go when we signed him. We knew we'd be down to one striker while the tournament was on. Sure, the club would rather he hadn't gone, but if the club could choose, hardly anyone would play internationals.

Given how Tiote came on from the bench, Kone didn't play, Yaya played a whole game and was awful, Gervinho didn't play, I think things probably worked out pretty well for us. Ade had the best impact out of the ACON players that I know played yesterday.

Knowing the type of playor Adebayor is, booing him will be incredibaly counter-productive. Our fans need to be clever and start making him feel like he has a home.

Knowing the type of playor Adebayor is, booing him will be incredibaly counter-productive. Our fans need to be clever and start making him feel like he has a home.

And that's your problem right there.
Crowd mentality causes collective IQ to immediately drop about 40 points regardless of individual component intelligence.

Personally I thought the boos were for Holtby being subbed rather than Dempsey who isn't exactly a fan favourite at WHL. Everytime he touches the ball there's murmurs of discontent.

Back