• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

I do not see anybody on here advocating spending £15-20m on someone who is not good enough. For the record Sherwood said we turned down Michu and he only cost £2m in the summer. The general point being made is that our current fire power up front needs to be improved on.

Obviously no one is arguing that we shouldn't buy someone that's not good enough for a lot of money :) But that player not being good enough is always a risk. We all see this every season pretty much. No matter who your manager is, who your scouts are and so on there's always the risk that the player isn't good enough, almost regardless of how much money you spend.

That's why I think we will only sign a player we feel very confident about. That's a small number of players I think and players that won't be easy to sign. If there's not a good deal possible then I feel ok with us not doing a deal.

I'm convinced there were people on here using the same "why didn't we sign him" argument about Jelevic last season and during the summer. This season he has 6 in 21. Around the same strike rate as Ade actually...

I'm sure I remember people using the same argument about Patinkle Demba Cisse. This season he has 4 in 19. A worse strike rate than Ade I think.

I remember similar arguments were presented about Pogrebnyak as well.

There are 19 other PL clubs, most likely some of them will stumble across as striker signing that scores a good number of goals in his first season. Most likely someone will also make a better signing than we did.

Not really the point I was trying to make. My point is more that "it's not as easy as that" as an answer to those saying that we have to sign another striker. Defoe, Ade and Dempsey are all good players. Ade is currently off form, Defoe seems to be in a slight slump as well, but they are good players.

Finding better players might be easy, finding better players that we can sign and afford isn't quite as easy. I've said all along that if we can sign someone significantly better than Ade I would be all for it, just like I would for us signing a significant upgrade on any first choice player in our squad. Spending even £10m on a player that isn't better than Ade though is going to be really bad business and unlike some of the teams we're competing with we can't afford to just blow £10m like it was peanuts.

I would guess that AVB has a rather short list of strikers that he feels will not only give us an option for the rest of the season, but could be a longer term solution as well. Damiao seems likely, perhaps Negredo, perhaps a few more players. If Levy can make a good deal for one of those players then that's cool. If not I just don't see it as a terrible thing. Spend that money in the summer when that right striker becomes available instead.

Your post reminded me of this one that I meant to answer, but didn't :)

Defoe did turn it around and has been a very good player for us this season. So that's one thing to base our optimism on. I thought Crouch did alright for us throughout, but I never expected him to be prolific when we signed him. Pav was always average at best imo.

Looking at Ade's record in England he was really only really prolific in one season. He's scored a decent amount every year though, as long as he's been getting games. I just see it as more likely that he will return to that kind of good, but not great form than for him to keep scoring as little as he has so far this season.

The Premier League site (http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.overview.html/emmanuel-adebayor) has him down with 81 goals over 183 appearances. Some of those games would have been as a sub, and he some of those were really early in his Arsenal career as he was getting used to the Premiership. That is a decent sample to look at, the 10 odd games he's played so far this season is a very small sample. In short I trust the larger sample more than I trust the smaller one.

Oh of course, there are no guarantees. No telling how successful Negredo or Damiao would be, but to not go for them because they might not work out would be unnacceptable IMO.

All very well pointing to our strikers track record in previous years, but that doesn't really help us now as both are struggling. My point was that a lot of people just kept saying "keep the faith, our strikers will come good" (they said the same with Gomes too funnily enough), but they never did. I'm more concerned with how they are playing NOW.

Defoe did turn it around and has been a very good player for us this season. So that's one thing to base our optimism on.

He's also been one of our worst players in the last two months or so since the goals dried up. He's not as involved in play as Ade, so there's less to moan about, and many will completely ignore his bad spells because they like him or rate him.

He's also been one of our worst players in the last two months or so since the goals dried up. He's not as involved in play as Ade, so there's less to moan about, and many will completely ignore his bad spells because they like him or rate him.

I agree, but I'm kinda glad people aren't having a go (yet). :)

I think Defoe has improved this season, but he's the kind of player that either scores or doesn't do much. I've kinda come to accept that and I feel fairly confident that as long as we keep bringing him chances he will start scoring again. That's what he does.

I don't think anybody is ignoring it tbh. But we expect more from Adebayor in terms of his overall play and the way he links the play up. Bascially both of them have been brick recently, but Defoe has been slightly less brick. But I don't understand how people can continually defend Adebayor based on his play THIS SEASON. He hasn't scored or assisted anywhere near enough goals, and his general play has been poor. It's not like he's been playing great but he's been unlucky, he's missed plenty of chances, not created opportunities for others and hasn't offered much at all.

Also, I accept that I made a kneejerk post about Adebayor after the scum game which I regret, but I stand by my opinion that he isn't good enough.

I agree, but I'm kinda glad people aren't having a go (yet). :)

I think Defoe has improved this season, but he's the kind of player that either scores or doesn't do much. I've kinda come to accept that and I feel fairly confident that as long as we keep bringing him chances he will start scoring again. That's what he does.

I agree about the "bashing". Point out negatives, criticise, discuss, but declaring a player brick and wanting him sold is kind of hopeless and silly. Luckily AVB seems a fairly patient man and one who really works with the individuals as well as the team to improve.

I don't think anybody is ignoring it tbh. But we expect more from Adebayor in terms of his overall play and the way he links the play up. Bascially both of them have been brick recently, but Defoe has been slightly less brick. But I don't understand how people can continually defend Adebayor based on his play THIS SEASON. He hasn't scored or assisted anywhere near enough goals, and his general play has been poor. It's not like he's been playing great but he's been unlucky, he's missed plenty of chances, not created opportunities for others and hasn't offered much at all.

Also, I accept that I made a kneejerk post about Adebayor after the scum game which I regret, but I stand by my opinion that he isn't good enough.

His start to the season has made it difficult get to him integrated and work on his role in the team I think. Anyway, the Defoe/Ade partnership has to end as it's not working for either of them. Should be Dempsey and one other.

Oh of course, there are no guarantees. No telling how successful Negredo or Damiao would be, but to not go for them because they might not work out would be unnacceptable IMO.

All very well pointing to our strikers track record in previous years, but that doesn't really help us now as both are struggling. My point was that a lot of people just kept saying "keep the faith, our strikers will come good" (they said the same with Gomes too funnily enough), but they never did. I'm more concerned with how they are playing NOW.

It has to be a risk/benefit analysis. If the risk of them not working out is deemed to great to warrant spending the money their clubs are asking then that's fine by me.

To me spending money without taking those concerns, without planning ahead knowing that we can afford not to get into the CL regardless, spending money on players that aren't good enough, that would be unacceptable.

It's again a small sample size, but so far under AVB we've done very well in the transfer market imo. Lloris, Verts, Dembele have been instant successes. That's half the players signed, that's good by most standards I would think. Dempsey has proven that he's up to the task and I think he's shown enough to be classified as a good signing. Sigurdsson is coming along nicely and has already contributed and is still young. So far "decent", but with plenty of potential I would say.

The only real question mark is Ade. I think he will turn it around, but time will tell. Even so one questionable transfer out of 6 with 3 proper successes and a couple of good signings, that's a fantastic record.

After that, if AVB, Levy, the scouts, Tim Sherwood, Freund, the pitch man, the tea lady or whoever made these decisions in the summer don't feel that the right striker is available for the right price I would trust their decision.

We did manage to put together a really good squad over the summer and now it's just tweaking to get the right balance. We need a little extra flair and guile in attack, but we won't rush into signing any old player, we'll wait for the right one.

I would love to see Ade come back next month and look a world class player but in the interim what happens if next week Defoe pulls a hamstring or tweaks his knee ligaments and is out for a month or two, it leaves us fukked does it not?

We did manage to put together a really good squad over the summer and now it's just tweaking to get the right balance. We need a little extra flair and guile in attack, but we won't rush into signing any old player, we'll wait for the right one.

A good squad that looks lightweight upfront

Indeed

I would love to see Ade come back next month and look a world class player but in the interim what happens if next week Defoe pulls a hamstring or tweaks his knee ligaments and is out for a month or two, it leaves us fukked does it not?

We would still have Ade, Dempsey and Sig.

Of course there is a risk when one player is out of form that another might be injured and you're left a bit short. But we're not Emirates Marketing Project, we can't just stockpile players to be prepared for every eventuality with another international quality player.

If we get an injury then AVB will have to deal with it, get the best out of the players we have.

We would still have Ade, Dempsey and Sig.

Of course there is a risk when one player is out of form that another might be injured and you're left a bit short. But we're not Emirates Marketing Project, we can't just stockpile players to be prepared for every eventuality with another international quality player.

If we get an injury then AVB will have to deal with it, get the best out of the players we have.

It goes without saying that we do not have the infinite resources of City but if you were to pinpoint one area of the team that needs improvement it would probably be the striking department. Our ambition must be to close the gap to the Mancs and the only way a club like ours can do that is to occasionally take a chance on a player, and someone like Leandro or Negredo or whoever just might be that player that makes the difference.

For me it is simple, we have being playing with two up top and one of them is gone for minimum of three games. Even if he wasn't both strikers are firing blanks at the moment and it might be a prudent time to get some more firepower. Ade leaving is just an added reason to go to the market now. As Naija says, we are a hamstring strain away from having NO strikers and for me that is gambling with our CL qualification.

Dempsey playing at the point of our attack is just not good enough in my opinion.

When Ade gets back I'm actually confident that their partnership can be fruitful; if you look at the build-up to Defoe's shot that hit the post early on there was very good link-up play and movement between the two, which really deserved a goal. If that goal had gone in there would have been a tosserthon on here. Fine margins.

COYS

(P.S. - We still need to buy another striker this window if possible)

Why has this thread not been merged into the Adebayor thread?
Just been throwing out some old newspapers and noticed that Ade was Sun Dream Team MOTM for the Reading game.

Why has this thread not been merged into the Adebayor thread?
Just been throwing out some old newspapers and noticed that Ade was Sun Dream Team MOTM for the Reading game.

now people know you read the sun they will not respect you and take the tinkle out of your opinon, if i were you i would edit what you just wrote, i wont be one of those people you read whatever paper you want mate but i don't care what some fat tinkle head journo thinks i would rather have my own opinon.

now people know you read the sun they will not respect you and take the tinkle out of your opinon, if i were you i would edit what you just wrote, i wont be one of those people you read whatever paper you want mate but i don't care what some fat tinkle head journo thinks i would rather have my own opinon.

That will not be happening. I ain't a snob.

I think his absence for Togo is a good thing for both parties. He is on a real poor run of form, maybe some time away will do him some good and Dempsey can get a run as he has actually earned a spot alongside Defoe imo

Let's take Adebayor's terrible finishing as a given, ditto his lack of assists. What has troubled me even more, is his tinkle taking approach to play. He is quite capable of hold up play, but the refuses to quickly lay it off, he AWAYS has to hold on to it, trying to beat his man, running all over the place and eventually going way out of position. This is giving me the bricks. Hold the ball and then lay it off. Against QPR, a simple layoff utilising the pace of our wingers coming onto the ball would have paid off, but no Ade has to tinkle about. He resembles a certain former Spurs player in the QPR team in this regard.

PS, I have never rated this guy. This is no knee jerk!

Back