• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

Acknowledging stats and comparing those with stats of other players is not the same as ignoring facts...

You seem to think that those numbers should somehow end the discussion.

.....and you seem to think that they are meaningless in isolation - even for a main striker in a successful team!

You havent even commented on the stats - you just chose to ignore them.

Exactly.
I've no doubt all our useless potshot longs shots from range are being counted as goalscoring chances in these stats.

The stats I quoted are not about chances. They are about goals and assists. Those are objective not subjective.

You hate them because they usually mean fudge all. Like the stat that showed we've created the most goalscoring opportunities in the league..utter nonsence.

Look at your chances yesterday.
We have 18 shots. Sounds great on paper.
But watching the game we didn't really create as much as that.
So look closer at those shots and 13 of those were outside the box.
QPR had 10 men behind the ball and we were reduced to long shots out of frustration.
They weren't goal scoring opportunities but will be counted as such in the stats.

The stats I quoted are not about chances. They are about goals and assists. Those are objective not subjective.

Of course they are.
People mess with them depending on what they want to show.
You can get different results by including or excluding cup and european games.

You can show total goals, combined total goals and assists.
You can show league goals, league goals and assists.
You can show total goals per game, combined total goals and assists per game.
You can show total goals per minute, combined total goals and assists per game.
You can show league goals per game, league goals and assists per game.
You can show league goals per minute, league goals and assists per minute.

That's 12 different objective stats.
You can go through those all until you find one to prove your point.

For me, adebayor kan stay in africa after the ACN.

After he has lost his touch, what can he offer? Shooting? Aerial threat? Work rate?

None of the above.

Had he scored what he SHOULD have scored last year...then we would have finished 3rd.

Wasted money and space

why does he have to stay there when he lives here?

I am not sure Defoe and Ade are enough uo front to lead us in the CL. I fear like last season we may lose momentum with this attack especially when you consider both Chelsea and Everton have improved from last season, and lets face it the Goons always seem to find a way to finish above us.

It may end bad for us if Levy feels there is no reason to strengthen this month

Think back to the 09/10 season, even though Defoe got close to 20 goals, he went on a bad run of not scoring in the second half of the season, which continued into the next season.

Things hav improved for Adebayor with Jurgen:

In November: 'Get Adebayor out of my club'

Today: 'Why can't Ade just stay with us and not go to this Aficam Nations cup thing?? And why does it have to happen when Spurs are playing?? Amd why every two years????'

:lol:

Well played sir

The problem is as soon as certain players go through a period of not playing that well fans lose patience and want rid, see the Dempsey quotes earlier in the thread.

Think back to the 09/10 season, even though Defoe got close to 20 goals, he went on a bad run of not scoring in the second half of the season, which continued into the next season.

Like I said above *It may end bad for us if Levy feels there is no reason to strengthen this month*

The problem is as soon as certain players go through a period of not playing that well fans lose patience and want rid, see the Dempsey quotes earlier in the thread.

There is a difference between saying someone is playing gash and saying a player should be sold

I agree.

.....and you seem to think that they are meaningless in isolation - even for a main striker in a successful team!

You havent even commented on the stats - you just chose to ignore them.

You're wrong. Twice at least. I don't think they are meaningless and I have commented on the stats.

Like I said above *It may end bad for us if Levy feels there is no reason to strengthen this month*

It may also end badly for us if Levy does feel a need for strengthening the team this month...

The very fudging last thing we need is to spend £15-20m on a striker that isn't good enough.

It may also end badly for us if Levy does feel a need for strengthening the team this month...

The very fudging last thing we need is to spend £15-20m on a striker that isn't good enough.

Mate, love your posts normally even If I don't agree with all of them, but you're basically saying it's not worth going for another striker because he might not turn out to be good enough? Do you think we could improve on the strikers we currently have? And yes I do realise we aren't going to get Falcao or a player as good as him, but there are other strikers on the market.

I do not see anybody on here advocating spending £15-20m on someone who is not good enough. For the record Sherwood said we turned down Michu and he only cost £2m in the summer. The general point being made is that our current fire power up front needs to be improved on.

Last edited:

True. Levy will possibly be damned if he does and he will be possibly damned if he doesn't. I most certainly don't want us spending big money in January unless we're absolutely certain that the player will improve us and will hit the ground running.

Mate, love your posts normally even If I don't agree with all of them, but you're basically saying it's not worth going for another striker because he might not turn out to be good enough? Do you think we could improve on the strikers we currently have? And yes I do realise we aren't going to get Falcao or a player as good as him, but there are other strikers on the market.

And therein lies the rub

Not really the point I was trying to make. My point is more that "it's not as easy as that" as an answer to those saying that we have to sign another striker. Defoe, Ade and Dempsey are all good players. Ade is currently off form, Defoe seems to be in a slight slump as well, but they are good players.

Finding better players might be easy, finding better players that we can sign and afford isn't quite as easy. I've said all along that if we can sign someone significantly better than Ade I would be all for it, just like I would for us signing a significant upgrade on any first choice player in our squad. Spending even £10m on a player that isn't better than Ade though is going to be really bad business and unlike some of the teams we're competing with we can't afford to just blow £10m like it was peanuts.

I would guess that AVB has a rather short list of strikers that he feels will not only give us an option for the rest of the season, but could be a longer term solution as well. Damiao seems likely, perhaps Negredo, perhaps a few more players. If Levy can make a good deal for one of those players then that's cool. If not I just don't see it as a terrible thing. Spend that money in the summer when that right striker becomes available instead.

These "he'll come good arguements" remind me of 2 seasons ago when we had Pav, Defoe and Crouch all misfiring and everyone said the same bloody thing despite the evidence pointing to the contrary. Besides blind faith, what are people basing this optimism on?

Your post reminded me of this one that I meant to answer, but didn't :)

Defoe did turn it around and has been a very good player for us this season. So that's one thing to base our optimism on. I thought Crouch did alright for us throughout, but I never expected him to be prolific when we signed him. Pav was always average at best imo.

Looking at Ade's record in England he was really only really prolific in one season. He's scored a decent amount every year though, as long as he's been getting games. I just see it as more likely that he will return to that kind of good, but not great form than for him to keep scoring as little as he has so far this season.

The Premier League site (http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/profile.overview.html/emmanuel-adebayor) has him down with 81 goals over 183 appearances. Some of those games would have been as a sub, and he some of those were really early in his Arsenal career as he was getting used to the Premiership. That is a decent sample to look at, the 10 odd games he's played so far this season is a very small sample. In short I trust the larger sample more than I trust the smaller one.

Back