• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

What was the point of such a weak sidefoot when h ecould have blasted it into the net.

This is not me knocking Ade, it is just an undeniable fact that he looks a shadow of the player he was last season

That's what makes me think it entirely a confidence issue with him.

A confident striker would have put his laces through the first chance and probably the second. I would like to think he'll come back from SA having scored a few but in that group I suspect a few losses will just drain what little confidence he has.

We bought him for £5m, and there is no way in hell we are paying him 170,000. Just because Emirates Marketing Project inflate a players wages doesn't mean they should suddenly be in that wage bracket.

THe Ade of last year was the difference between us finishing 4th and us finishing about 7th. He was quality. If he can regain that confidence and form he will be a key player for us in the run in.

Agreed, but it adds to expectations of what he's about and capable of, and judging by the frenzy on this board when he was first linked to us an awful lot of people bought into it. And truth be told if Ade had converted even half of the sitters he missed we'd have been third.

So that's really what I'm getting at, he's a finer footballer than I ever could be but I just don't think he's clinical enough. I can't see past that myself.

No, not only really shocking - just absolutely shocking. Let me re-itterate it for you so maybe you can grasp it a second time:

1169 minutes played this season
3 goals
0 assists

Average minute per goal assist - 390 (ie over 4.3 games) .

Plus he has missed a hatful of golden chances.

That statistic is just an absolute shocker. Especially for a main striker in a successful side. No qualification necessary. Full stop.

I'm capable of reading a table with stats in it. You typing them out one line at the time really doesn't change anything. You might think that I'm slow in the uptake, but our difference of opinion doesn't stem from me not being able to grasp those numbers.

2 of them also held up a banner declaring undying love for Redknapp!
We need a cull to rid us of the support who will accept any old brick.

Saw that. The banner was on the floor behind me (before it moved to the front)

Defoe told them to put it away in the 2nd half

Anybody else notice that?

Probably a silly question, given people on here giving Dembele and Naughton 7s

These "he'll come good arguements" remind me of 2 seasons ago when we had Pav, Defoe and Crouch all misfiring and everyone said the same bloody thing despite the evidence pointing to the contrary. Besides blind faith, what are people basing this optimism on?

Saw that. The banner was on the floor behind me (before it moved to the front)

Defoe told them to put it away in the 2nd half

Anybody else notice that?

Probably a silly question, given people on here giving Dembele and Naughton 7s

I ain't got a problem with fans showing appreciation for Redknapp, as long as they don't let it get in the way of showing support for the current manager.

He contributed to over 30 goals last season.

If that is not performing well then you seriously have unrealistic expectations about getting a striker in.

And therein lies the rub, this season he has a return of 2 league goals and zero assist

Looking at yesterday game he didn't have enough space to do anything. Made me think does Ade need space to play? I know the season he performed best was playing for an Arsenal team that thrived on the fast counter attack. Is he even suited to playing for a team that is trying to break down a a 10 man defence?

Everton WILL NOT finish above us.

Chelsea will and today I have come to the conclusion that 3rd is theirs. Fourth is up to us. We are above Arsenal right now, they do have 2 games in hand but there next 2 games are City and Chelsea. We still have Arsenal and Everton at home too.

Unfortunately the Goons always seem to have a way of finishing above us so I would feel a lot better if we bought in a new striker

His movement is good and he gives us a focal point in attack, but is he the answer to our problems, no he is not, Ade and Defoe are not good enough to improve us.

No, no, no his movement means fukk all when he is not contributing anything offensively and as a focal point of our attack he has given us nothing this season. He also fails to hold the ball up, rarely wins the ball in the air, his first touch has been poor and his finishing in front of goal has been shocking

he got into those positions though, he also helped us build attacks pretty well. most hold up players are not prolific scorers seeing as they are used as pivots for waves of attacks to overlap....

and he did have quite a few assists last season.

he was never a clinical guy...he was always going to be our hold up man

The problem is that this season he is failing to hold the ball up effectively. And yes he did have a few assists last season, but as you say, that was last season

I'm capable of reading a table with stats in it. You typing them out one line at the time really doesn't change anything. You might think that I'm slow in the uptake, but our difference of opinion doesn't stem from me not being able to grasp those numbers.

A difference of opinion is one thing. To ignore FACTS is something only the naive do.

3 goals
0 assists

Average minute per goal assist - 390 (ie over 4.3 games)

Those facts.

To be honest I hate statistics be it in favor of my view or against my views. My views are that Ade has been utter brick however I wouldnt have even cared if he didnt score or didnt assist - what I care about is the lack of effort in his play and even his play itself.

He is highly annoying and him going to the ACN may well be a blessing in disguise.

To be honest I hate statistics be it in favor of my view or against my views. My views are that Ade has been utter brick however I wouldnt have even cared if he didnt score or didnt assist - what I care about is the lack of effort in his play and even his play itself.

He is highly annoying and him going to the ACN may well be a blessing in disguise.

You hate them because they usually mean fudge all. Like the stat that showed we've created the most goalscoring opportunities in the league..utter nonsence.

You hate them because they usually mean fudge all. Like the stat that showed we've created the most goalscoring opportunities in the league..utter nonsence.

I wouldnt say they mean 'fudge all' they obviously mean something HOWEVER I dont use them too much for basing my argument on. Like I say my eyes tell me everything - they dont lie. My eyes are telling me that Ade is parading himself around the pitch like he is in a dressage contest.

What is a goalscoring chance? what constitutes a chance.

I think that the problem with stats is that too many people quote them selectively, over look the weaknesses in the stats that they quote and ignore any evidence that does not support their argument.

3 goals
0 assists

Average minute per goal assist - 390 (ie over 4.3 games)

Those facts.

Acknowledging stats and comparing those with stats of other players is not the same as ignoring facts...

You seem to think that those numbers should somehow end the discussion.

I wouldnt say they mean 'fudge all' they obviously mean something HOWEVER I dont use them too much for basing my argument on. Like I say my eyes tell me everything - they dont lie. My eyes are telling me that Ade is parading himself around the pitch like he is in a dressage contest.

What is a goalscoring chance? what constitutes a chance.

Exactly.
I've no doubt all our useless potshot longs shots from range are being counted as goalscoring chances in these stats.

His lack of effort just re-inforces the facts. If he would give more effort, attack crosses with vigour, compete in the air, win headers occasionally rather that just duck under them, set up team-mates, shoot with conviction, hold up the play, make runs in behind, stop getting lazily offside etc etc, then his stats would undboubedly improve. To just loaf about without a gameface on is just irritating in the extreme.

The particularly annoying thing imo is that he CAN do it - as he proved last season (at least in the early part of it)

I think that the problem with stats is that too many people quote them selectively, over look the weaknesses in the stats that they quote and ignore any evidence that does not support their argument.

pretty much.

My eyes tell me that our problem (especially at home) was that we're not creating many clear cut chances but the stats say we've created the most goalscoring opportunities in the league.

Back