• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Personally I'd like to keep Ade and sign a new striker who is better than the ones we have.

Saha will likely go, Defoe as well considering he doesn't get much playing time, which means we'll probably have to sign two new strikers - unless we want to rely on Ade, VDV, new striker for the season.

I like your train of thought. However Ade, VDV and a new striker will be sufficient if we make CL. What happens if our new striker gets injured while Adebayor is away at the ANC in Jan 2012? We need to bring in 2 strikers if we keep Ade and VDV. Ideally at least one of them who could also play as a winger like Remy.

I have no doubts Defoe will be off this summer. I wouldn't mind keeping Saha as a bench player, he's not completely incapable, and a young hungry striker would probably not be happy staying on the bench. We do need another quality striker in addition to Ade though, I think a player in the Aguero mould would be most suitable, good close control and using the channels.

Keep Defoe get rid of Saha. Sign adebayor and get a young striker in - Leandro. Perfect!

Hazard in, Townsend back = wings covered

Caulker returns and Verhogen in (get rid of Nielsen) = cbs covered

Naught on returns, sign a new LB. (rose out on loan, maybe keep instead)- wing backs covered

Sign an awesome young goalkeeper.

Tottenham Hotspur - quadruple winners 2013

This football malarky is so easy!

I like your train of thought. However Ade, VDV and a new striker will be sufficient if we make CL. What happens if our new striker gets injured while Adebayor is away at the ANC in Jan 2012? We need to bring in 2 strikers if we keep Ade and VDV. Ideally at least one of them who could also play as a winger like Remy.

Agreed. I don't know Remy, but for someone who in this sceneario is likely to be fourth choice (after Ade, VDV and New Striker #1), being more of a utility player is much more beneficial to the team. The other option is to sign one proven, quality forward, and a young talent who won't mind sitting on the bench as a back up for the time being. I don't watch reserve games, but maybe we already have someone who can take the step up?

As for Ade's wages, couldn't that be sorted out with a solid signing on fee?

It seems that the main criticism of Adebayor is that he isn't a truly top class striker and that he isn't as good as van Persie, Aguero, Tevez, Rooney, Drogba or an in form Torres. By the way I don't see anyone claiming that he is as good as those players.

I don't quite see why it should be likely that we will be able to sign someone better than him though. Sure we can take a chance on someone from abroad, but just like that player can be a new Berbatov he might be a new Rebrov or for that matter no better than Adebayor himself. I get tired of people listing the successful signings of other teams while ignoring the failures and average signings. Sure we might sign someone like Cisse and save ourselves some money while getting in a good striker, but we might also end up with a Suarez that hardly scores for a year and then may or may not work out. Could list a lot more examples, my point is just that hindsight is a bit too easy to point out who we "should or could have signed" when ignoring the failures.

Adebayor is proven good enough to be a striker for a top 4 team. That certainty and knowledge is worth quite a bit.

We're back to square one if we lose him. Should be making it a priority to find a way to keep him at the club.

We're back to square one if we lose him. Should be making it a priority to find a way to keep him at the club.

If he breaks our wage structure and and has others demanding similar increases I wouldn't want him. No player is worth risking the financial future of the club.

Ade should realise though that he hasn't got a hope in hell of earning 225k p/w week ever again in his career. He'll be lucky to get 150k p/w anywhere to be honest.

If we are maybe considering bumping the structure up to 100k then maybe I would say go for it, but that's only if it's absolutely the right thing to do. I wouldn't want us to be put on a footing that we cannot sustain.

Rafa volunteered to sub his wages to help us keep him!

I think his importance in knitting our front 4 together is incredibly undervalued. I really don't care if he's not scoring himself if he's bringing in Rafa, Bale and Lennon the way he does.

I also don't see any better options out there for us (considering his fee will be under ?ú10m too). As well as being big and strong, he is mobile, which is why he will thrive whilst someone like Carroll (and IMO Llorente) will struggle.

What I would do though is bring in another #9 to understudy/compete him who is better in front of goal (e.g. Leandro).

Btw Saha is out of contract after these two games too (and hopefully wont be kept on).

I thought Souleymane Coulibaly is the next big thing

Im kinda on the fence with him really. He isn't as prolific as he should be but still knits our play together quite well provided he is playing ok. When he is having a poor game its like we are playing with 10 men sometimes. If he stays, a) I don't want it impacting on us signing another forward of note and b) I don't want us totally blowing our wage structure for him either.

I think if he is staying then Defoe would be looking to move which means we certainly need another forward in - Defoe out, Huntelaar and Adebayor in would do me just fine.

I also wonder if he is going to try and sign Saha on for an extra year?

The other point is that other clubs seem to be doing ok with playing a slightly smaller striker up front by themselves if they are intend on playing 4-3-3...they don't always have to be Drogba clones. So while Ade is great because he ticks a lot of boxes, I don't think we need to risk the financial structure of the club on him if he isn't willing to be reasonable and acknowledge that City offered him a completely ludicrous contract.

I think it's because we have Defoe, who is really a totally old-school small striker that needs a partner alongside him that we think we need a big, strong, tall, mobile striker to play upfront on their own. Defoe is incapable because of the style of player he is and how to get the best out of his attributes, but there must be some other strikers around that can do the job that don't completely match the physical mould.

If he costs us ?ú12m for example, we could always subsidise his wage with a signing on fee then pay him the top line.

Someone else made a good point, I would be worried too spending all that money when there are players out there that are doing just as well and wont cost as much, but I'd still like him to sign.

If we can't get Ade, hope we try and bring Dimitar back. Still a hell of a player, probably much more aligned to our budget too!

What you said.

But I fear a August 31st bid being accepted at 23.58hrs by Norwich for Grant Holt.

His major flaws are poor first touch and finishing but the rest of his game is pretty much top notch. Could argue he doesn't score as many headers as he does or get in positions to score those headers I guess.

Trouble is someone with those attributes and everything else he already has it going into the elite world level really and clearly he's not on that level and is unlikely to be at his age.

People mention Cisse, Ba etc as being unknowns but Ba was cheap because he has dodgy knees whilst Cisse was undisclosed I believe but was around 10-12m which is probably the same price as Ade.

Back