• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

To be fair, he's done well for us, but he's still had some absolute shockers on many occasions. I wouldn't be happy if he was the only striker we signed at the end of the season.

We still need to sign a natural finisher, and Adebayor certainly isn't that.

Some interesting stats on all the Premier League strikers here:

http://www.eplindex.com/14273/best-premier-league-striker-opta-stats-analysis.html?

Minutes played per goal is fairly low for Adebayor.
We create a lot of clear cut chances for him, and all of his goals this season apparently has been CCCs

Guess moneyball theory would make Steven Fletcher a good signing for us,
our high amount of CCC and his 70% conversion of them

Last edited:
I could see Adebayor being a deadline day permanent signing for the following reasons:

*City want to shift him
*Ade on galactico wages
*Ade is not a galactico
*Barca/Real/Inter etc not interested
*Ade forced to drop down to the next tier

I could see him and City holding out, but come Aug 31st with a bit of creative accounting I think that wage would get slashed for a monster signing on fee.
Not really in our best interests in that the lad has been a problem elsewhere but I think we manage our big egos better than a lot of clubs, partly because we dont sign a lot of them.

I'd love to see him here permanently, I think her works damn hard and often is the sole Tottenham Hotspur representative for half a pitch. The way he chases down the ball from player to player, albeit a bit like a dog, Pav could only dream about. He also has looked a natural partner for every one of our forwards, including VDV, at different times in the season.

Ba and Cisse were bargains, but also a bit of a gamble. Ba wasnt that hot at West Ham, and has been lucky with injuries this year. But it goes to show, sniff around those relegated teams for some gems. I'd put Bobby Zamora high on the list, along with Hoilett for the wing. Neither of these to be massive deals.

If Adebayor could be permanent then I cannot think of any other realistic target that could beat him. Maybe Remy, but to be fair I dont know if he stalled so that he could head to an even bigger outfit.

For the people worried about breaking the wage structure,think for a second:

Adebayor(altho sloppy at times,with poor finishing and a terrible first touch) has made the difference for us between finishing 4th and 5th which is usually 15-20 million €uro from the champions league money.Yes,we will spend more,but we will also get more money,glamour ties and respect worldwide.

For the people worried about breaking the wage structure,think for a second:

Adebayor(altho sloppy at times,with poor finishing and a terrible first touch) has made the difference for us between finishing 4th and 5th which is usually 15-20 million €uro from the champions league money.Yes,we will spend more,but we will also get more money,glamour ties and respect worldwide.

As stated elsewhere though, Ade gets in on high wages. The other players all want high wages. The wage bill goes up massively. What no one else seems to grasp is that you look around Europe and so many of the Champions League regulars are living on borrowed time financially. It's a broken business model. They effectively get a mortgage that they can't afford on their basic salary, and get it on the assumption that the overtime will always be there for them when they want it.

Levy is doing the right thing. Treat any Champions League or Cup revenue as a bonus, and run the club as though you never qualify for it. There was an article the other day that showed how much clubs spend on agents fees and we're one of the highest. I guess that's how we keep players wages down. We sweeten the deal to the agents!

I've always liked Fletcher, I did say in January he would be a good signing wouldn't cost a fortune and would link up play . Him with a natural goal scorer would be good

As stated elsewhere though, Ade gets in on high wages. The other players all want high wages. The wage bill goes up massively. What no one else seems to grasp is that you look around Europe and so many of the Champions League regulars are living on borrowed time financially. It's a broken business model. They effectively get a mortgage that they can't afford on their basic salary, and get it on the assumption that the overtime will always be there for them when they want it.

Levy is doing the right thing. Treat any Champions League or Cup revenue as a bonus, and run the club as though you never qualify for it. There was an article the other day that showed how much clubs spend on agents fees and we're one of the highest. I guess that's how we keep players wages down. We sweeten the deal to the agents!

That is all true,but we simply wont be able to compete with the other big clubs once Bale and Modric leave.This is our golden generation and if we dont bring in other top talent I m afraid it wont last long.Levy will make us a stable top 6 club this way,but not a title challenging side

That is all true,but we simply wont be able to compete with the other big clubs once Bale and Modric leave.This is our golden generation and if we dont bring in other top talent I m afraid it wont last long.Levy will make us a stable top 6 club this way,but not a title challenging side

Unless we get a sugar daddy in and/or build a new stadium we will always be outsiders for the title.

There were numerous reports in January of us stiffing City on the fee for Adebayor, allowing us to slot him into our wage structure with a golden handshake pay off to compensate for the disparity.

I believe its very similar to what we did with Davids. Its believable IMO, and we have previous.

Adebayor has been sensational for us this year IMHO. Yes, certainly, he could do better. Would be nice to see him really shoot rather than scuff, be a bit more clinical and pose more of a goal threat - but his contribution has completely changed our attacking game IMHO - taken us up a level.

I cannot think of a single attainable target that offers what Adebayor does, and more. Not one.

Personally I think we need to bring in 3 forwards this summer. Although, other than a CB, I think that's the only business we need to do.

We need a first choice #9 - say Ade
We need a back-up #9 - say Leandro
And ideally we'd get someone who can cover/compete with Lennon on the right, but also do a job up front - say Remy

We won't end up with Leandro.

Well we've got first refusal haven't we because of our arrangement with Inter. No one else seems prepared to stump up the cash either. Surely it wont go on for a 3rd window with us and Inter hangling over price.

As is so often the case we won't appreciate fully what Ade gave for us until he's no longer here.....

The new Kanoute.

Last edited:
Adebayor is very underrated. Nit in terms of his touch or finishing, but in terms of how he links up with the other creative players, especially Bale.
When he's not there we really look completely toothless.
He also suffers from not having a partner in the centre who can take some of the pressure off him sometimes. VDV is often a good foil, but in certain games he is left too isolated (Chelse FAC semi, for example). I think away from home the Bolton line-up is perhaps more preferable to playing tht line-up at home.

It would be interesting to see how a central midfiled who could dribble through a defence or break quickly with good pace from central midfield would do for the space that Ade or any other similar striker would then get. A CM/AM with Jenas' good attributes (i.e eye for goalscoring, pace, athleticsm) would be a great option for our current side. I hope we try to sign somebody like that in the summer. That or bring Jenas back into the fold....

....<<runs for cover>>....

Im reasonably happy with his assist and goal ratio, its not as good as some would have made you believe before he signed, but its good.

However when we play with 1 up front, you have to have someone who is playing well every game for it to work. Our results have been inconsistent lately and so has his all round game. His all round game can be brilliant, but I guess the reason he is at Spurs is because he lets you down more than he should. He seems to get too casual, moves the ball too slowly or take a lazy first touch.

I hope he signs, because I dont think we will get better with our budget.

Interesting quotes from Ade - makes it sound like he is staying...

"You can definitely take Sandro and Scott Parker to war, because they can take a bullet for you no matter what happens.

"I think Sandro showed it again at Villa. The manager has given him a lot of confidence. We all believe in him because we all know what he can do.

"We see him in training every day and he proved it again because with one man down he can still do the job for us.

"Hopefully, we can keep going. And if all the lads are like that next year we can start thinking of winning the league and being in a better position."

As is so often the case we won't appreciate fully what Ade gave for us until he's no longer here.....

Agreed. And people thinking that we have a realistic shot of getting someone like Llorente in to replace him need to stop dreaming

Back