• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

He didnt do TOO much. One or two runs. I just think he looked better because well... we were so so so so so bad.

Are we going to constantly jump on 15 min cameo performances? This school of thinking has been an apparent trend all season with players. 15 mins at Norwich and Holtby was gonna be a world beater, 15 mins of brick and BAE has to be sold etc etc etc.

Last edited:
He didnt do TOO much. One or two runs. I just think he looked better because well... we were so so so so so bad.

Are we going to constantly jump on 15 min cameo performances? This school of thinking has been an apparent trend all season with players. 15 mins at Norwich and Holtby was gonna be a world beater, 15 mins of brick and BAE has to be sold etc etc etc.

Do you see anyone going over the top with their praise of Ade's performance today?

Other than one post, I don't.

With regard to his performance today, I only see acknowledgement that he did fairly well today and that we improved as a team after his introduction.

Nothing wrong with that.

Do you see anyone going over the top with their praise of Ade's performance today?

Other than one post, I don't.

With regard to his performance today, I only see acknowledgement that he did fairly well today and that we improved as a team after his introduction.

Nothing wrong with that.

I wasnt slating anyone. I dont even think he did well. I dont and am not sure what he did that warrants 'he did fairly well' today? Maybe in comparison to his previous performances he may have ran a bit or had one touch that was quite nice. Its my opinion. Maybe I am trying to be objective, contrary to what some may think - as im not Ades biggest fan primarily due to his brick performances this season.

I wasnt slating anyone. I dont even think he did well. I dont and am not sure what he did that warrants 'he did fairly well' today? Maybe in comparison to his previous performances he may have ran a bit or had one touch that was quite nice. Its my opinion. Maybe I am trying to be objective, contrary to what some may think - as im not Ades biggest fan primarily due to his brick performances this season.

Whatever you think of his performance today - and I accept that he did nothing exceptional - you surely have to acknowledge that we became far more effective as a team after his introduction?

Whatever you think of his performance today - and I accept that he did nothing exceptional - you surely have to acknowledge that we became far more effective as a team after his introduction?

Not really. I think we were utter brick all game in al honesty. What happened was we scored out of the blue by a player who should be considered world class. The performance in the 80th minute was exactly the same as before that - the only difference is I think the players cottoned onto the fact that we had to win and our efforts were lifted to a higher level. Merely coincidence more than design - then again we cant say for certain.

Not really. I think we were utter brick all game in al honesty. What happened was we scored out of the blue by a player who should be considered world class. The performance in the 80th minute was exactly the same as before that - the only difference is I think the players cottoned onto the fact that we had to win and our efforts were lifted to a higher level. Merely coincidence more than design - then again we cant say for certain.

:eek:

Err...if it's 15 + 15 to equal 30, is it OK then? :lol:

He gave us a focal point today when he came on which was lacking before, but I think the complete dross that went on beforehand made his cameo look a bit better than it was. He had that one sublime touch to the largely ineffectual Dempsey, which he should have done much better with. In fairness he made us look better so credit to him for that.

He gave us a focal point today when he came on which was lacking before, but I think the complete dross that went on beforehand made his cameo look a bit better than it was. He had that one sublime touch to the largely ineffectual Dempsey, which he should have done much better with. In fairness he made us look better so credit to him for that.

He made us look better because he actually came looking for the ball and linked things up a bit, unlike our other four 'forwards'. At his best that's what he excels at.

Like steff I can't see how the bolded part can be true. I've mentioned it in another thread, but I think our poor performance was more down to nerves than to a lack of effort.

Our team from the midfielder forward at kick off yesterday:

---------Hudd-Dembele----------
Lennon------Bale-------Dempsey
------------Defoe---------------

That's 6 players with very little (positive) experience from the though, nervy end of seasons, competitions and matches. Defoe, Lennon, Bale and Hudd have all been at the club for years and although I think our reputation of always tripping up is a bit harsh we certainly don't have a reputation for always coming out on top when the going gets tough. The two others have most of their recent experience from Fulham, a club that rarely had much to play for at this end of the season. Belgium and the US aren't national sides that are known for their mental strength either I think, similarly to England and Wales.

Holtby who came on might have some of that German mentality in him, but he's still very young and unproven as well as being fresh to the league of course.

Of all those players I actually feel that Hudd was the one that showed the most maturity, with the exception of Bale for the goal of course. Hudd at least played his game, put in some good passes, did his job defensively and made a cynical foul when he had to. He looked on top of the situation. The rest, including Bale up until the goal, did not.

I think our pressing was symptomatic for this, a lot of players pressing on their own, leaving gaps behind them and around them, seeming stressed to do things on their own without the composure to act as a team.

Adebayor gets a lot of flak for his relaxed attitude, but yesterday his attitude seemed a lot more useful than the attitude of most of our other players.

What he helped with yesterday was his 5min burst of influence as all eyes were on him to do something, which helped Tottenham get the game back from Swansea who had started the 2nd half really well, but soon after.. he returned to his alter ego of being a Sunday league pub team performer whereby control of the football is deemed by the shoddy pitches but Ade seems able to adopt to the White Hart Lane turf.

Overly harsh.. yeah maybe. The damage has been done since last June

Last edited:
He made us look better because he actually came looking for the ball and linked things up a bit, unlike our other four 'forwards'. At his best that's what he excels at.

Which when all said and done.. just isn't cutting the mustard is it.

Which when all said and done.. just isn't cutting the mustard is it.

Probably not! That's the scary thing - I think we need to upgrade our striker(s) not just because Defoe and Adebayor only have one real strength / skillset (i.e. have lots of weaknesses in their game), but because they're not even good enough at their supposed stregths! Defoe 'the goalscorer' with 11 goals in 27 starts, and Adebayor the 'link-up man' with 0 assists in 15 starts and, at times, the touch of a rapist.

Back