• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Love the guy and his attitude is first class. Needs to get up to the pace of the prem ( and his tackles will not be so death or glory) but he is a winner and we need players like him in our side.

Absolutely. His reaction to the red card after the game is imo spot on.

There are adjustments to be made, he's still fairly young for a centre back. But his ability, talent, quality and attitude imo can't really be questioned.

I've said it before, but there's hardly a player I can think of that can actually play with his level of aggression and getting as few cards as he does.

I also think his mix of aggression and composure is really rare, borderline unique. He'll throw himself into what looks on the surface like the wildest of tackles, but at the same time look in full control. Then a moment later we have the ball and he's composure personified.

Absolutely. His reaction to the red card after the game is imo spot on.

There are adjustments to be made, he's still fairly young for a centre back. But his ability, talent, quality and attitude imo can't really be questioned.

I've said it before, but there's hardly a player I can think of that can actually play with his level of aggression and getting as few cards as he does.

I also think his mix of aggression and composure is really rare, borderline unique. He'll throw himself into what looks on the surface like the wildest of tackles, but at the same time look in full control. Then a moment later we have the ball and he's composure personified.
When other teams commit so many numbers forward, confident in their ability to push forward, Romero steps up with an interception or tackle and creates a high-quality counterattacking opportunity. It's smart for him to push up, offering another body that defenders have to worry about. Shame no one ever passes to him when he's surging forward though, he's just a decoy :D
Also, it was the only game so far this season where Haaland had no shots on goal and zero touches in the opposition box.

When other teams commit so many numbers forward, confident in their ability to push forward, Romero steps up with an interception or tackle and creates a high-quality counterattacking opportunity. It's smart for him to push up, offering another body that defenders have to worry about. Shame no one ever passes to him when he's surging forward though, he's just a decoy :D
Also, it was the only game so far this season where Haaland had no shots on goal and zero touches in the opposition box.

Absolutely. And really important to have that with a back three/five to avoid becoming too deep and predictable.

There's a risk of course, both cards and him being "out of position" (though actually in exactly the position he should be in, but not in between Dier and the RWB at that exact point). But that's a risk worth taking and much better than a back three/five with CBs being too passive.

Thought he was really good against West Ham. Not the most difficult of opposition, Antonio seems way off his best. But still, very good to see.

Don't think Romero has been at his very best for quite a while, definitely not consistently so. Against West Ham that controlled aggression looked spot on again, timing of tackles was great. As he mostly is, really good and useful on the ball.

Though a bit inconsistent there have been many positives from him recently of course. Hope we're seeing signs of the best in Romero coming out again now.

Thought he was really good against West Ham. Not the most difficult of opposition, Antonio seems way off his best. But still, very good to see.

Don't think Romero has been at his very best for quite a while, definitely not consistently so. Against West Ham that controlled aggression looked spot on again, timing of tackles was great. As he mostly is, really good and useful on the ball.

Though a bit inconsistent there have been many positives from him recently of course. Hope we're seeing signs of the best in Romero coming out again now.

Yes, I wonder whether he'd actually lose some of his rashness and impulsiveness if/when we have better CBs alongside him. I think he's potentially a top top CB, but needs to be a bit calmer and intelligent with how he plays

He was brilliant yesterday. The sort of performance that we all love seeing from him. But let's be fair, he's still playing very close to the edge - all it takes is a fraction of a second and he misses those challenges. On the law of averages, that will happen particularly against better players and he's on a yellow having to manage the rest of the game (which he usually does pretty well tbf). The signs are still a little bit worrying for me.

Romero loves the physical side of the game. Some players shy away from it but Romero is like a loitering kamikaze drone just waiting to crash into someone for looking at him the wrong way. You can tell when he's going for a tackle just for the sake of tackling, and I think we all agree that he needs to be more judicious about when he goes "target acquired" mode and crashes into someone.
He plays so high up the pitch, so it's risky but I think it pays off most of the time, especially when Dier has a good game like he did yesterday. Of course his lob towards Kane was a bit flukey in how it all transpired, but that seems to be something the players work on in training as it's happened a few times before, leading to a goal.

He was brilliant yesterday. The sort of performance that we all love seeing from him. But let's be fair, he's still playing very close to the edge - all it takes is a fraction of a second and he misses those challenges. On the law of averages, that will happen particularly against better players and he's on a yellow having to manage the rest of the game (which he usually does pretty well tbf). The signs are still a little bit worrying for me.

His style of play means that he has to get the timing of those challenges right quite often. To me he's had periods where his timing has been off, periods where he's gotten it really spot on with a really good frequency.

Depends if he will continue to have those fluctuations or if he can find a touch more consistency. If he can't find that consistency he may have to adapt a bit, but can still be a great defender.

I'm definitely not worried. Excited.

Romero loves the physical side of the game. Some players shy away from it but Romero is like a loitering kamikaze drone just waiting to crash into someone for looking at him the wrong way. You can tell when he's going for a tackle just for the sake of tackling, and I think we all agree that he needs to be more judicious about when he goes "target acquired" mode and crashes into someone.
He plays so high up the pitch, so it's risky but I think it pays off most of the time, especially when Dier has a good game like he did yesterday. Of course his lob towards Kane was a bit flukey in how it all transpired, but that seems to be something the players work on in training as it's happened a few times before, leading to a goal.

It's flukey of course. But you get that luck from time to time as long as you get your clearances in the general direction of a team mate rather than out over the touchline.

I think he's really good with his head, with clearances and with tackles to get the ball to team mates or into good areas. As well as being really good with his passing of course. All highlited in that video above from the West Ham game.

His intensity is not something you could coach out or in my opinion you want to lose, its also very much within the genes with these SA lads, just look at the aggression the lad at United plays with and its very similar.

I think as others have suggested that when the total quality of the defence improves and that of the team you will see it temper down slightly

The blokes a very very good defender though and thats what you want, I can take the aggression on that basis

His intensity is not something you could coach out or in my opinion you want to lose, its also very much within the genes with these SA lads, just look at the aggression the lad at United plays with and its very similar.

I think as others have suggested that when the total quality of the defence improves and that of the team you will see it temper down slightly

The blokes a very very good defender though and thats what you want, I can take the aggression on that basis

Definitely agree. Though slightly better decision making, fewer early yellows as he continues to gain experience I think we can hope for.

That aggression is a massive part of what makes him such a good defender, definitely wouldn't want to lose that. I think the risk of early yellows should be accepted, but perhaps lessen that risk slightly.

I think his decision making is already really good. And I think he's almost always in control of his aggression, which is incredible really.

Better players around him should only make him better, though depending on our style and how those players play I'm not sure his aggression will change much as a result of that.

Definitely agree. Though slightly better decision making, fewer early yellows as he continues to gain experience I think we can hope for.

That aggression is a massive part of what makes him such a good defender, definitely wouldn't want to lose that. I think the risk of early yellows should be accepted, but perhaps lessen that risk slightly.

I think his decision making is already really good. And I think he's almost always in control of his aggression, which is incredible really.

Better players around him should only make him better, though depending on our style and how those players play I'm not sure his aggression will change much as a result of that.

But TBF as I keep saying on the yellow card, he is nowhere near the top of the league for that, sits behind Bentacur and even Bissouma for us (weirdly) and his career has been far from littered with cards. So he seems very good at walking that tightrope otherwise the cards would say otherwise

But TBF as I keep saying on the yellow card, he is nowhere near the top of the league for that, sits behind Bentacur and even Bissouma for us (weirdly) and his career has been far from littered with cards. So he seems very good at walking that tightrope otherwise the cards would say otherwise

Overall I agree. And that's kind of my point with hoping for slight changes.

Since the World Cup he's picked up a yellow in 6 of the 9 games he's played for us, two yellows in the City game of course.

I don't think he's been 100%. When he isn't those yellows stack up quickly and becomes an issue because he's playing so much of games on a yellow. When he's at his best it's much less of an issue and the gains outweigh the negatives easily.

Can he be at his best more of the time its essentially what I'm asking for I guess... Not at all a big ask.

Overall I agree. And that's kind of my point with hoping for slight changes.

Since the World Cup he's picked up a yellow in 6 of the 9 games he's played for us, two yellows in the City game of course.

I don't think he's been 100%. When he isn't those yellows stack up quickly and becomes an issue because he's playing so much of games on a yellow. When he's at his best it's much less of an issue and the gains outweigh the negatives easily.

Can he be at his best more of the time its essentially what I'm asking for I guess... Not at all a big ask.

Hmm maybe, although he has been great in half the games I have watched and picked up cards including when he purposely kicked Haaland round the pitch.

Im just speaking in general on his cards because on the OMT and in general people lose their sh1t with him and make claims that he is always getting booked when he generally doesn't

Back