• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

He's getting pellters because he's playing poorly
[emoji1787]

That's what happens and it happens to every player who puts in poor performances.

I don't really even get your argument. Do you really expect fans to say "ah Dier was total brick for Leed's first goal but he's trying hard so it doesn't matter" ? [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Royal was caught out. Lloris slow. Dier covered not well enough. Yet you blame only Dier? :D:D:D
Who's laughing? I am.

He is maligned because he isn't good enough to play for a team who's aim (should be) winning the big trophies. Nothing wrong with Dier's character at all and I think he would be a useful back-up utility player but unfortunately his quality just isn't high enough for a top team.

I think you, of all people, know my point. Please don't pretend you're missing it...

Player making regular rooster ups and looking worse and worse as each game passes getting more grief than a player not in the team? - colour me surprised

Honestly Steff this is a terrible attempt to deflect criticism
OK mate. Again, I was hoping you too would get the point I am making. All good. We carry on...FWIW, calling this a ‘terrible attempt to deflect criticism’ is wide of the mark. If my point was not clear, please let me know and I’ll be happy to clarify it.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I'm not sure what your point is. Is it that Dier risks injury playing for Spurs whereas Romero doesn't?

My short point in this thread is about commitment, yes.

My longer point is that I get tired of our spoilt fanbase picking spacegoats. it is beyond tedious. We have a history of it. When I see anyone in life getting unnecessary abuse, it is my nature to defend them. I do it in person, I’ll do it here in digital land. Eric Dier making mistakes is not disputed. Eric Dier being upgradable (if we spend BIG money) is not disputed. Eric Dier being the first person blamed for everything currently wrong is flimflam. People doing so without offering acknowledgement of contributing factors is ignorant (his mistakes have been coming predominantly since he was moved to cover…Christian Romero!)…I understand this is not an excuse for a mistake, but it IS a reason. When we tried Romero in the centre of a three once it was rocky. These are very important positions, but you know this Finney.

I am also old enough to remember some really brick players, players who had little talent and little desire. Cruisers. Wasters. I remember true mediocrity.

I also remember our current fan base when the single greatest manager and unifier of our club holistically hit a bad patch. I remember how quickly they turned. That isn’t me.

Again, I am aware that if we want to play Conteball properly, we need an upgrade for three of the four players back there, Lloris, Davies and Dier. We need everyone to be technically great footballers, not just good or decent. But right now, we have what we have. And largely speaking, what we have has done very, very well.

I hear a lot on here about ‘accepting mediocrity’ and all of that toss. I don’t. I want the best we can get. I want the best we can be. But right now, THIS is the best we have, and so when I am at a game and hear idiots yelling after the first minute of a match at the same names, I get tinkled off. It is really fudging poor. As for ‘I’ve paid my money and I’m entitled’, then as someone who has also ‘paid my money’ I am entitled to tell you what a prick you’re being (and don’t worry, I have no worries doing so).

Every time someone wears our shirt, it is a privilege. When I see players fighting for the shirt, they have my support, mistakes or otherwise, because screaming at them that they’re ‘brick’ isn’t going to majik up Skriner or Bastoni at HT is it? I also take every match I see, home and away, as an honour. Win or lose, we are together, with friends, with family, watching our team. There was a moment at 3-2 down on Saturday when the energy was dying; someone started a small chant. It grew. And it grew. And we grew. And we scored. And we scored again. And at FT it was rocking. Coincidence? I wonder…

Apologies for the long reply, but I wanted you to understand my whole perspective as it seemed you didn’t…

…BTW, I do sympathize with Romero to a degree, absolutely, but let’s not avoid the fact he has pulled a stunt. Kudos to Antonio for allowing it (that is compassion) and kudos to his teammates. But truthfully, when Harry Kane (who has played more minutes than any Prem player this season) is in the corner on 93 minutes risking a thwack to see the game out, and when Dier (the next most minutes at ours) is not bottling 50/50s, they will always have a bit more from me.

I hope I have clarified my thoughts. COYS.

Last edited:

My longer point is that I get tired of our spoilt fanbase picking spacegoats. it is beyond tedious. We have a history of it. When I see anyone in life getting unnecessary abuse, it is my nature to defend them. I do it in person, I’ll do it here in digital land. Eric Dier making mistakes is not disputed. Eric Dier being upgradable (if we spend BIG money) is not disputed. Eric Dier being the first person blamed for everything currently wrong is flimflam. People doing so without offering acknowledgement of contributing factors is ignorant (his mistakes have been coming predominantly since he was moved to cover…Christian Romero!)…I understand this is not an excuse for a mistake, but it IS a reason. When we tried Romero in the centre of a three once it was rocky. These are very important positions, but you know this Finney.

I am also old enough to remember some really brick players, players who had little talent and little desire. Cruisers. Wasters. I remember true mediocrity.

I also remember our current fan base when the single greatest manager and unifier of our club holistically hit a bad patch. I remember how quickly they turned. That isn’t me.

Again, I am aware that if we want to play Conteball properly, we need an upgrade for three of the four players back there, Lloris, Davies and Dier. We need everyone to be technically great footballers, not just good or decent. But right now, we have what we have. And largely speaking, what we have has done very, very well.

I hear a lot on here about ‘accepting mediocrity’ and all of that toss. I don’t. I want the best we can get. I want the best we can be. But right now, THIS is the best we have, and so when I am at a game and hear idiots yelling after the first minute of a match at the same names, I get tinkled off. It is really fudging poor. As for ‘I’ve paid my money and I’m entitled’, then as someone who has also ‘paid my money’ I am entitled to tell you what a prick you’re being (and don’t worry, I have no worries doing so).

Every time someone wears our shirt, it is a privilege. When I see players fighting for the shirt, they have my support, mistakes or otherwise, because screaming at them that they’re ‘brick’ isn’t going to majik up Skriner or Bastoni at HT is it? I also take every match I see, home and away, as an honour. Win or lose, we are together, with friends, with family, watching our team. There was a moment at 3-2 down on Saturday when the energy was dying; someone started a small chant. It grew. And it grew. And we grew. And we scored. And we scored again. And at FT it was rocking. Coincidence? I wonder…

Apologies for the long reply, but I wanted you to understand my whole perspective as it seemed you didn’t…

…BTW, I do symathize with Romero to a degree, absolutely, but let’s not avoid the fact he has pulled a stunt. Kudos to Antonio for allowing it (that is compassion) and kudos to his teammates. But truthfully, when Harry Kane (who has played more minutes than any Prem player this season) is in the corner on 93 minutes risking a thwack to see the game out, and when Dier (the next most minutes at ours) is not bottling 50/50s, they will always have a bit more from me.

Well said. Emotion is great, but context is key in all things.

…BTW, I do symathize with Romero to a degree, absolutely, but let’s not avoid the fact he has pulled a stunt. Kudos to Antonio for allowing it (that is compassion) and kudos to his teammates. But truthfully, when Harry Kane (who has played more minutes than any Prem player this season) is in the corner on 93 minutes risking a thwack to see the game out, and when Dier (the next most minutes at ours) is not bottling 50/50s, they will always have a bit more from me.

Take a bow sir. Well said.

Agree with a lot of that. Spacegoats is hillarious, but maybe not put the knife in either dier or romero?

Royal was caught out. Lloris slow. Dier covered not well enough. Yet you blame only Dier? :D:D:D
Who's laughing? I am.
Who said I blame only Dier? Your desire to defend him is putting thoughts and ideas into your head that weren't said.

Who said I blame only Dier? Your desire to defend him is putting thoughts and ideas into your head that weren't said.

Haha, really? OK, benefit of the doubt to you Bishop, and could you then clarify what your words below actually meant then?

<<I don't really even get your argument. Do you really expect fans to say "ah Dier was total brick for Leed's first goal but he's trying hard so it doesn't matter" ?>>

I mean, it reads to me like you're saying something very specific.

Somewhat surprised that people are this confident that he's been avoiding playing and has actually been fit to play.

Romero had shown a lot of commitment and bravery since signing for us.

It may have been that he's not wanted to be risked in the last game or last couple of games. Having played through injury not that long ago. If that's his preference it does show more commitment to playing the world cup for his country than playing regular games for us. Deserving of criticism, sure, if true.

As long as his commitment to us is the same as it has been when he returns I won't be bothered by it.

Somewhat surprised that people are this confident that he's been avoiding playing and has actually been fit to play.

Romero had shown a lot of commitment and bravery since signing for us.

It may have been that he's not wanted to be risked in the last game or last couple of games. Having played through injury not that long ago. If that's his preference it does show more commitment to playing the world cup for his country than playing regular games for us. Deserving of criticism, sure, if true.

As long as his commitment to us is the same as it has been when he returns I won't be bothered by it.

I think you’re absolutely right, and I stand as someone who is suspicious with reason TBH.

I doin’t blame his caution per se, as this is all on FIFA and their stupid corrupt flimflam. However I do think it is the pro part -club first- and Cristian has previous with regards to country coming first (albeit Argentina does pressure players). I have no doubt he was scared to aggravate the strain, and I am sure you’re also correct that on Dec 26th it will be forgotten to a large degree. Personally? I won’t ever fully forget it, but that’s just a cranky old codger talking!

I think you’re absolutely right, and I stand as someone who is suspicious with reason TBH.

I doin’t blame his caution per se, as this is all on FIFA and their stupid corrupt flimflam. However I do think it is the pro part -club first- and Cristian has previous with regards to country coming first (albeit Argentina does pressure players). I have no doubt he was scared to aggravate the strain, and I am sure you’re also correct that on Dec 26th it will be forgotten to a large degree. Personally? I won’t ever fully forget it, but that’s just a cranky old codger talking!
Romero has already demonstrated his commitment being biased towards Argentina over Spurs in the past and so is very open to criticism - Correct me if I'm wrong but I havent seen many other players rule themselves out of final few league matches then back nice and conveniently training with their national team for World Cup. Like you said you have the likes of Kane and Dier putting themselves on the line right up until the final minute of our final game before World Cup. Look at Richarlison, barely fit but couldnt wait to get back and playing for us - he went sprinting to the ball for what he knew was a 50-50 at best and got cleaned out! That’s the sort of player I want representing the shirt….

Romero has already demonstrated his commitment being biased towards Argentina over Spurs in the past and so is very open to criticism - Correct me if I'm wrong but I havent seen many other players rule themselves out of final few league matches then back nice and conveniently training with their national team for World Cup. Like you said you have the likes of Kane and Dier putting themselves on the line right up until the final minute of our final game before World Cup. Look at Richarlison, barely fit but couldnt wait to get back and playing for us - he went sprinting to the ball for what he knew was a 50-50 at best and got cleaned out! That’s the sort of player I want representing the shirt….

I was off my seat screaming at the ref over that one. Disgraceful. Ball first or not there was no need. Kenny Burns is a historical entry not a mandate!

Haha, really? OK, benefit of the doubt to you Bishop, and could you then clarify what your words below actually meant then?

<<I don't really even get your argument. Do you really expect fans to say "ah Dier was total brick for Leed's first goal but he's trying hard so it doesn't matter" ?>>

I mean, it reads to me like you're saying something very specific.
You were defending Dier and stating that Romero doesn't get criticised despite not being available so I responded directly to that comment. Hence the mention of Dier which was exactly who you were talking about exclusively. If you had mentioned any other players they would also have been mentioned.

I think there are reasons to be suspicious, but there aren't reasons to make conclusions.

I cannot agree with your description of yourself based both on what I've seen on here and heard on the podcast. Perhaps said in jest, but I voice my disagreement none the less.

Personally I think this sort of thing is rather personal and value based. If he prioritises the World Cup for Argentina over league games for us that's his decision and an understandable one. I would much prefer what we saw from so many of our starters against Leeds, I definitely applaud that.

I til perhaps we benefit from his desire to play for his country in other ways. I would absolutely not be surprised if that's helped him have that drive and motivation to become the excellent player he is. We sign players, people, to contracts. Those people come with their preferences, values, decisions.

Some of those we would all find unacceptable, no doubt. For me, when it's something this understandable and something as massive as a World Cup for his country, a rather special one with them as holders of the Copa, Messi's last WC, a real shot at the trophy with what seems like a very good side. A young lad like him. I won't hold a grudge, though I can understand others will.

What I find harder to understand or accept is when people jump to conclusions on what he's actually done. We simply don't know.

Romero not in argentinas squad for their warmup game today. Maybe he's not recovered from his injury yet?
Couldn't possibly be that. Didn't you know he's just been faking and waiting for the World Cup. [emoji28][emoji1787]

Back